18586d1247430913-grado-sennheiser-factory-view-4.jpg

18587d1247430920-grado-sennheiser-factory-view-5.jpg

18588d1247430929-grado-sennheiser-factory-view-6.jpg

18589d1247430935-grado-sennheiser-factory-view-7.jpg

18590d1247430940-grado-sennheiser-factory-view-8.jpg

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never understood why Grado had those factory pictures on its webpage. They don't make me feel better about owning Grado headphones, they make me feel worse.....

Why? All I can deduce from those pictures is that sennheiser spend more money on new and fancy equipment.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? All I can deduce from those pictures is that sennheiser spend more money on new and fancy equipment.

Would you like to see your HD-800 thrown in a huge pile in an old cardboard box? What these pictures say to me is: Grado workers don't care about product handling. Grado doesn't give its workers the bare minimum of a clean, tidy workspace. Grado workers don't even listen to Grado headphones!

I know a million people are gonna flame me for this, but I don't care. You can talk about Grado's "Olde Worlde" charm until you're blue in the face. But the fact is that if you are selling $500+ electronics than you probably don't want to put up pictures that look like you are making them in your mom's basement.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 143
I wonder how the factories look then of ALO and such that make their LODs infused with the blood of Greek warriors?

Does it really matter how the place looks honestly?

Although then again, I don't respect my roommates at all because they are utter slobs and because of the appearance of their living space I deem them incompetent at life...

I wonder why I view these two scenarios differently?

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 143
Quote:

Would you like to see your HD-800 thrown in a huge pile in an old cardboard box? What these pictures say to me is: Grado workers don't care about product handling. Grado doesn't give its workers the bare minimum of a clean, tidy workspace. Grado workers don't even listen to Grado headphones!

I know a million people are gonna flame me for this, but I don't care. You can talk about Grado's "Olde Worlde" charm until you're blue in the face. But the fact is that if you are selling $500+ electronics than you probably don't want to put up pictures that look like you are making them in your mom's basement.

This combined with the whole RA1 thing makes me think that Grado isn't the beautiful, quaint family run business of master engineers and craftsmen that they are portrayed to be.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This combined with the whole RA1 thing makes me think that Grado isn't the beautiful, quaint family run business of master engineers and craftsmen that they are portrayed to be.

It's family run, just not made by family. You wouldn't want dear old mother making headphones in the basement, would you?

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 143
lol looking ghettoooo. But I still find the RS1i sexy and want them despite seeing them hurled in some broken down cardboard box.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 143
Quote:

I never understood why Grado had those factory pictures on its webpage. They don't make me feel better about owning Grado headphones, they make me feel worse..... I supposed to be impressed by these?

I'd have to agree with you there. While I still think Grado can make some great headphones, the first time I saw these pictures I was very underwhelmed. It's no problem that Grado is a small operation. A lot of the companies that produce the best headphone amps are small too.

But just look at how messy and unclean the whole place is. And the workers don't seem particularly interested in what they're doing. Look at some pictures of the Wooaudio workspace, it's cluttered, but clean, and everyone seems completely involved in their task. Finished products are certainly not thrown into wilting cardboard boxes.

Whether or not the Grado production area is still like this, or even if other work areas are much better, the point I'm trying to make is, why would Grado put these pictures up? It's hardly a testament to their craftsmanship.

And about the RA1 amp.... Yeah, that's pretty sad. Charging $350 for a $30 CMOY amp in a nice wooden case? Not cool.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 143
There is some peculiar US affinity towards keeping 1930's production methods forever, Grado is just one example. Results can be awesome (Grado, Leatherman) or ridiculous (cars, air conditioning units).

To come back on topic, Grado has some serious quality issues more advanced manufactures obviously don't have.

Jul 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #15 of 143
Quote:

And the workers don't seem particularly interested in what they're doing.

Do you sing and dance, and have that brainless smile that looks like forced to smile with a gun aimed at them, in your job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back