Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Jul 12, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #1,591 of 2,153
Mine's here already!
The supplied wall wart doesn't fit Australian socket, so only running in low power mode so far, but even so my initial impressions are favourable.
Listening with the Fostex TH-X00s and even in low power mode 90 is too loud for comfort. My ATH-AD900x's would be louder still.
It's early to make much comment on the sound, however I noticed straight away slightly more detail to my music than my previous DAC/amp provided.
It does feel and look really good. The controls are simple to set up and use, and my knob doesn't suffer from excessive wobble.
Looking forwards to being able to run it in high power mode to see if that makes it sound even better.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #1,592 of 2,153
Mine's here already!
The supplied wall wart doesn't fit Australian socket, so only running in low power mode so far, but even so my initial impressions are favourable.
Listening with the Fostex TH-X00s and even in low power mode 90 is too loud for comfort. My ATH-AD900x's would be louder still.
It's early to make much comment on the sound, however I noticed straight away slightly more detail to my music than my previous DAC/amp provided.
It does feel and look really good. The controls are simple to set up and use, and my knob doesn't suffer from excessive wobble.
Looking forwards to being able to run it in high power mode to see if that makes it sound even better.

You could try a battery for mobile in high mode temporily if you have one.

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,593 of 2,153
Don't have any 5v batteries, and none of my batteries have a USB connection.
It sounds great as is, but will plug in the high power connector and leave it plugged in when the right wall wart arrives in the next week or so.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,594 of 2,153
  Mine's here already!

I doubt you'll notice any difference between high and low power with those.  As I understand it high power simply adds MORE power, not better.  I've actually begun only running it in low power mode as I take it work each day and that's one less cable to plug in, and mad dogs aren't hungry enough to need high power.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,595 of 2,153
OK. Will be interesting to try anyway - I've read some reviews that say stuff like "the bass is fuller" or "more punchy" on HP mode.
Could be headphone dependent, or imagined, I don't know.
My HP's are pretty efficient / easy to drive, so it is possible I won't notice any difference. If that's the case I may just use in low power mode also, although mine will seldom move from my desk @ home.

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #1,596 of 2,153
OK. Will be interesting to try anyway - I've read some reviews that say stuff like "the bass is fuller" or "more punchy" on HP mode.
Could be headphone dependent, or imagined, I don't know.
My HP's are pretty efficient / easy to drive, so it is possible I won't notice any difference. If that's the case I may just use in low power mode also, although mine will seldom move from my desk @ home.

The idea that the bass is fuller is pretty directly disprovable, at least as a result of higher power, because the additional power that high power mode allows doesn't even turn on unless you go over 90.

However, high power mode can make for a cleaner sound as having separate USBs for data and power can help. Especially if you have an inconsistent power from your laptop's USB.

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #1,597 of 2,153
  Mine's here already!

With the exception of the K7xx, none of my headphones (incl. the THX00) need to be at 85.

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #1,598 of 2,153
The idea that the bass is fuller is pretty directly disprovable, at least as a result of higher power, because the additional power that high power mode allows doesn't even turn on unless you go over 90.

However, high power mode can make for a cleaner sound as having separate USBs for data and power can help. Especially if you have an inconsistent power from your laptop's USB.

Sounds like a good enough reason to spend  $15 on the right type of wall wart. :)

With the exception of the K7xx, none of my headphones (incl. the THX00) need to be at 85.

85 is louder than I'd usually use for my Fostex - and all my Fubar playlist has been run through the replay-gain scan, which has reduced 90% of tracks it by 9 - 10dB

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #1,600 of 2,153
Has anyone tried combining the m9xx with iFi iPurifier2 or other "USB cleaner"? I suppose it wouldn't improve anything but still, wondering if I should keep the iPurifier 2 (I'm having no adapter right now and shipping a Lindy from the UK's going to take 2 months).

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #1,601 of 2,153
Has anyone tried combining the m9xx with iFi iPurifier2 or other "USB cleaner"? I suppose it wouldn't improve anything but still, wondering if I should keep the iPurifier 2 (I'm having no adapter right now and shipping a Lindy from the UK's going to take 2 months).

Im using ifi iusb3 nano now, its sound better then schiit wyrd i have. Lower noise floor hence much details.

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #1,602 of 2,153

I am using REGEN, also with benefits into the USB #1 data port.
I think it all depends on your source - mine is pretty nasty, so the difference is quite notable.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,604 of 2,153
Hi everyone.

I used to play electric guitar, and I feel like I want to pick it up again, but I can't use a real amp anymore (space, noise, you know.. how it goes with wives and families..) and I was wondering how it would work using a PC as sound processor.

Would the Grace be of any help? If I find myself a nice piece of software for distorsion/effects and I plug the guitar to the PC through an analog to USB converter would I experience ridiculous lag when playing while having the sound processed through the PC?

I'm not sure where the bottleneck in processing the sound would be... do I need a specific sound card with a fast DSP anyway?

Thanks to anyone who would eventually bother to reply... I'll do my homework and research on the internet but maybe some musician is reading and doing something similar... 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,605 of 2,153
Hi everyone.

I used to play electric guitar, and I feel like I want to pick it up again, but I can't use a real amp anymore (space, noise, you know.. how it goes with wives and families..) and I was wondering how it would work using a PC as sound processor.

Would the Grace be of any help? If I find myself a nice piece of software for distorsion/effects and I plug the guitar to the PC through an analog to USB converter would I experience ridiculous lag when playing while having the sound processed through the PC?

I'm not sure where the bottleneck in processing the sound would be... do I need a specific sound card with a fast DSP anyway?

Thanks to anyone who would eventually bother to reply... I'll do my homework and research on the internet but maybe some musician is reading and doing something similar... :bigsmile_face:  

Your best bet is something like a Line6 POD. The Grace m9XX wouldn't really have anything to do with it. It's an output device from your computer. Your issue is the input from the guitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back