Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Jul 5, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,561 of 2,153
  Hi there,
The m9xx frequency response is ruler flat from 20Hz-20kHz and then some. You should have no worries about it coloring the sound. Different headphones/speakers would have a greater effect on color. 
Running unbalanced to powered monitors is fine as long as the cables are short and high-quality. If you needed an interface for input capabilities, you could get one with a toslink output to feed the m9xx as a reference DAC. There is also our new m108 8 channel interface....

This is amazing to hear, thank you for putting my mind at ease!  Hopefully one day on that m108 :wink:.  Thanks for the quality product and this awesome customer support!

Jul 5, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #1,562 of 2,153
If I was building a recording rig based off of the m9xx as my starting point/source, I'd probably focus my budget on proper monitor speakers and an amp to drive them, but that's just me.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #1,563 of 2,153
If I was building a recording rig based off of the m9xx as my starting point/source, I'd probably focus my budget on proper monitor speakers and an amp to drive them, but that's just me.

I have the grace and love it as well. I do have a question for the Grace commenter above, do you prefer the performance to the Toslink over the USB?

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #1,564 of 2,153
I have the grace and love it as well. I do have a question for the Grace commenter above, do you prefer the performance to the Toslink over the USB?

I rarely notice a huge difference between those inputs in terms of SQ. USB handles a wider variety of audio formats so I tend to stick with that if I can.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #1,566 of 2,153
That's a bit strange because in my country we've always held an belief that USB input sucks big time so people (especially those who have reached the price range of $500) always spend more to buy "transport" to switch from USB to optical and more often, coaxial. That all said as  a proud owner of the m9xx I think it IS the cleanest dac/amp that I've used in this price range. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,567 of 2,153
My M9xx has arrived!! Guys, I must just say thanks to the community for having helped discovering this gem!!

It sounds terrific. I honestly have no ability to describe it in proper language... I'm just enjoying the music, and it's delightful!!!! "Comfortably numb" is playing as I type... and it's simply amazing, never heard it like this before!!!

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,568 of 2,153
  My M9xx has arrived!! Guys, I must just say thanks to the community for having helped discovering this gem!!

It sounds terrific. I honestly have no ability to describe it in proper language... I'm just enjoying the music, and it's delightful!!!! "Comfortably numb" is playing as I type... and it's simply amazing, never heard it like this before!!!

So jelly that you have yours already.
Didn't even think of looking on evilbay for one.
Paid my $ a week ago. Will ship in (hopefully) another week.
Then it will take another week to get from US to Australia (Sydney) and then yet another week (give or take) to get to me in Tassie.

Massdrop.
I love you. But I hate you...

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,569 of 2,153
  That's a bit strange because in my country we've always held an belief that USB input sucks big time so people (especially those who have reached the price range of $500) always spend more to buy "transport" to switch from USB to optical and more often, coaxial. That all said as  a proud owner of the m9xx I think it IS the cleanest dac/amp that I've used in this price range. 

In the early days of USB audio, that may have been the case with synchronous USB interfaces that rely on the noisy and unstable computer clock for running the DAC. Asynchronous USB interfaces solve that issue by just receiving the data into a buffer then using a high quality internal crystal for clocking the data and DAC. We've been using asynchronous USB since the m903. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #1,570 of 2,153
  In the early days of USB audio, that may have been the case with synchronous USB interfaces that rely on the noisy and unstable computer clock for running the DAC. Asynchronous USB interfaces solve that issue by just receiving the data into a buffer then using a high quality internal crystal for clocking the data and DAC. We've been using asynchronous USB since the m903. 

The more I know, the more I love my m9xx.

Cheers

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #1,571 of 2,153

Grace Design x massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp

DATE PURCHASEDQUANTITYMY COSTDROP STATUS
ORDER #​
Jun 28, 20161$532.24 SHIPPED ON 7/7/2016

woohoo!  Shipped a week earlier than I thought they were going to. :)

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #1,572 of 2,153
My friend received the m9xx (for me) only 2 days after the drop ends. Dude was really thankful for that, cos he had more time to enjoy this great amp/dac before returning it to me in my country. 

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #1,573 of 2,153
Anyone using DDC to connect to optical in of m9xx?

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,575 of 2,153
I have a questions for those of you who use the toslink input; has anyone tried playing a 24/192 file using a Toslink cable capable of passing such a file?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back