Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Jul 16, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #1,606 of 2,153
Cheers. I guessed so, just needed confirmation 
biggrin.gif
 Have a nice weekend!

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,607 of 2,153
here's a lot of words on how I got the m9XX to really work incredibly well in my HD800 setup: post #23080

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #1,608 of 2,153
I got this thing fairly recently from Massdrop and I really like it for my office desktop computer setup. It is paired with a 27" iMac and it sounds amazing. Price is similar to the mojo, but it seems to be a better form factor for desktop. I love it's simplicity and functionality. It has brought out the best in my K7xx, which have not been my favorite musically. It plays nicely with everything I've tried on it. This is well designed and executed and I believe it was money well spent.

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #1,609 of 2,153
  here's a lot of words on how I got the m9XX to really work incredibly well in my HD800 setup: post #23080

Great insightful post. Thank you very much for sharing. I did not even know there were plugins such as Sonarworks and Can Opener.

Does this also work for HD600? I was told that HD600 pairs best with OTL amp to bring the most of musicality out of it. Not sure if it can artificially create OTL tube effect using those plugins by any chance...

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #1,610 of 2,153
Great insightful post. Thank you very much for sharing. I did not even know there were plugins such as Sonarworks and Can Opener.

Does this also work for HD600? I was told that HD600 pairs best with OTL amp to bring the most of musicality out of it. Not sure if it can artificially create OTL tube effect using those plugins by any chance...

Yes it also works with the HD600. The "OTL tube effect" has a few different parts:
1) if the output impedance is high enough (30 ohms or higher) it will induce a bass hump around the headphone's resonance. Any EQ unit can replicate this and do so with greater precision than the rough tool of impedance EQing.
2) it will add low order harmonic distortion. Any tube can do this, but I've not found software that replicates it.
3) it will smooth things out a bit. Any tube will do this. Some DACs have a similar effect.

So it really depends on what you're after.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #1,611 of 2,153
You can't recreate tubes with plugins. Doesn't work that way. Guitar digital reamping always sounds like digital reamping.

Tubes are better for reproducing soundstage but all OTLs are compromised. Only "bad" tube amps sound like tubey tube amps but OTC ones like the EC Studio series are unaffordable. You'll always have slightly slower bass and some added even order harmonics but nothing like a cheap OTL. I actually like the Sennheiser HD 6XX best out of nimble Class-A, no overall negative feedback amps like the Asgard 2, Black Widow, and some pro-audio stuff. Amps like the Magni 2U, M9XX, and OTLs are just gimped in comparison.

The M9XX warmth comes from the DAC. The AK4490 is slightly smoothed/bloomed over in the lower mids. All implementations of that chip sound like it, which is a departure from the neutrality of the AK439X series and part of AKM's "Velvet Sound" philosophy. The Bifrost 4490 is even warmer than the M9XX despite being better technically performing in many ways with better staging and separation, it loses lower mid detail compared to the M9XX and even more so the old Modi 2U AK4936 and AK4399 Gungnir.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,612 of 2,153
Just got a m9xx. Don't know why I waited this long to get one! Fantastic unit so far, can't wait to spend more time with it.

One thing I noticed is I've got it hooked up to a Win 10 pc and no matter what sample rate file I play, it registers as 192khz. Is there a setting I need to change in Win so it output's correctly? Using Foobar.

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #1,613 of 2,153
  Just got a m9xx. Don't know why I waited this long to get one! Fantastic unit so far, can't wait to spend more time with it.

One thing I noticed is I've got it hooked up to a Win 10 pc and no matter what sample rate file I play, it registers as 192khz. Is there a setting I need to change in Win so it output's correctly? Using Foobar.

You need to start using the WASAPI output plugin for foobar. See this post I made a few pages back.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #1,614 of 2,153
After some times owning both the Micro and the m9xx, I would like to post some comparison between them. If you are interested in the Mojo, this should help too, as IME the Mojo sound almost identical to the m9xx. In fact, the m9xx can be said to be between the Mojo and the iDSD Micro, however it leans towards the Mojo more.
Overall:
I can easily see why a lot of people prefer the m9xx/Mojo to the iDSD Micro. They are simply more musical and more involving. The iDSD on the other hand is more neutral, no emphasis or no smoothing in any freq ranges. 
Trebles:
The m9xx is much smoother. It gives the feeling that the trebles is sparkling without getting sibilant. The iDSD's trebles is cleaner and more energetic. For Heavy Metal I prefer the iDSD much more than the m9xx, but for Prog Rock that needs sparkles, the m9xx is definitely my favorite DAC.
Mids:
Once again "smoother" is what I'd use to describe the m9xx. There's no harshness to any of these 2, but the m9xx sounds a bit more laid back on some cans. The difference is not huge, though. 
Bass:
More bass on the m9xx, even with iDSD's xBass on. Bass extension is better on the m9xx, though the iDSD is just fast and lean enough for Metal and Classical. 
Soundstage:
There's no definite winner. On most songs the m9xx sound more spacious, but the iDSD's soundstage is just more natural and believable. Anyway the m9xx has better depths.
DAC:
I used both of these to feed my Little Dot I+ with Burson opamp (did a review on this fantastic combo) and both didn't disappoint, obviously. I use the iDSD more for Metal, Classical and Acoustic and the m9xx for more laid-back music. I think the inherent traits of these 2 are better shown when they're used as DAC only, and they're both DACs that have an amp section (the m9xx don't even have a line-in for its amp). 
Amp:
The amp sections in the m9xx and the iDSD doesn't add too much color to the sound, but most of the time I just use them as DAC.
While the m9xx can drive 2 headphones at once, the iDSD's amp wins hands down in my book. First of all, it has a line in to support other DAC. Second, the iDSD's amp is powerful enough to drive the HE6, which in my books is the 2nd-hardest-to-drive headphones of all time, just behind the K1000. I brought my iDSD to a meet and to everyone's amazement, it just beats practically every (big, cumbersome) desk amps present. In terms of power, of course.
In terms of functionality, the xBass on iDSD is useless. So useless that more than once I've seen people in this and other threads ask if their units are defective. The 3D effect (which is more or less crossfeed) doesn't sound too pleasant to me. The m9xx's crossfeed is much better. The Mojo doesn't have crossfeed in any form.
Buy & Sell
A lot of people I've spoken to sold the iDSD to keep the m9xx (or Mojo). Which also happened in my case. However, I don't take it as a sign that the m9xx is better, due to the fact that the m9xx and the iDSD are different (and both enjoyable) to me. That said, the difference, while enjoyable, is 10% at max, and again they're both solid choice. The reason I sold the iDSD is that my finances at the moment don't allow keeping both, but when iFi release newer generation for the iDSD I'd definitely buy it. 

(I post this in both iDSD and m9xx's thread, so please don't be mad at me)

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #1,615 of 2,153
Just received M9xx as well as HD600. Both burning in.... I briefly tested some functions such as CF and Dac filters. I hear noticeable difference on some songs for CF on & off but the other songs not really. I did not hear difference among 4 different DAC filters though... Will listen more critically after burning in about 24 hours...

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #1,617 of 2,153
I really like the look of the HE-560s, and I'd like to try planars some time.
Does this amp drive them adequately?

For most people yes. Some very loud listeners may not like the pairing though.

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #1,620 of 2,153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back