Google's new browser, Chrome
Sep 3, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #46 of 207
Cnet did a speed test on Chrome Beta, IE, IE 8 Beta, Firefox and Safari. All the mentioned issues aside, I think it's rather impressive that it trounced all of them.

Speed test: Google Chrome beats Firefox, IE, Safari | Webware : Cool Web apps for everyone - CNET

chrome_subbenchmark_png.PNG

google_chrome_benchmark_overall.PNG

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #47 of 207
To be fair, that is a little deceptive. I don't doubt it is the fastest but it's using Googles own benchmark. On top of that the comparison would be closer to fair if it was done with FF 3 betas and WebKit nightlies which have their own optimizations since the latest stable.

You have a computer science degree but you cite Cnet? Heh.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #49 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey buddy, I have a computer science degree. Graduated Maga-Cum-Laude too. So tell me this, big-shot: um...what's this google thing I keep hearing about?

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #50 of 207
Quote:

Well, first of all, I don't have time and resources to do a detailed benchmark on this thing, and second of all, I'm not nearly interested enough to do a full blown autopsy of it's engine and do a benchmark on it as well. If you have a problem then why don't you do yourself a favor and show us your own?

Seriously, if you're trying to start a fight, look elsewhere. It's not helpful to this thread, this forum and most of all, it's not worth my time listening to your cheap talk. Sorry.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #51 of 207
Calm down you two. I was being tounge in cheek in that last statement.

And judging by your previous tone, your just being defensive for no reason. I meant no ill will.

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you but I have a computer science degree so, I do. I make that mistake more than I should though.

Okay.. well that's that. And ingwe, please... Thank you for informing me on your degree.
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #52 of 207
Keep it clean please, I don't want another flame war erupting out here.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, I ran the speed test on Opera and I got 600, while Google Chrome got 1400 overall (I have a program running in the background, so take that into account when you look at the scores)

So, I guess Opera is the second best out of all the browsers? I say not bad considering that these are Google's benchmarks.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #54 of 207
funny_cat_pictures_069.jpg

I'm not afraid to use him.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #55 of 207
Quote:

Okay.. well that's that. And ingwe, please... Thank you for informing me on your degree.
tongue.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #56 of 207
This browser isn't half bad...pretty quick too.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #57 of 207
I'm using it instead of firefox now too...

Just before though, when it was running in the background my hard drive was ticking a lot and Chrome was using 20 or so CPU. What could it have been doing?

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #58 of 207
frasey read the comic they posted on their blog. The cpu works more because of each tab using it's own memory and other stuff like that (i think haha).

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #59 of 207
I wish it would use more of my computer memory though. I think its a bit too resource light.

Right now it says its using 50K memory in the task manager, and Opera is using 90K, yet Opera uses no CPU resources and no hard drive (I set it to do that), and Chrome uses 5% of my CPU.

I guess it still needs some tweaking here and there, and maybe even some memory and hard drive usage tweaking too?

EDIT: Out of interpreting this browser as a single task, I forgot that each tab was its own task -- Under the hood this isn't your father Netscape, don't think of it as such
smily_headphones1.gif
That means it was using more resources than Opera, so I guess I have no complaints there... Not now atleast.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #60 of 207
You guys are complaining about it being resource light? Am I misinterpreting this? You want it to run bloated like Firefox does?

I like the way it organizes source code....very clean and organized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back