Google's new browser, Chrome
Sep 2, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #16 of 207
just finished reading all of the comic

I like it

my only qualm is in relation to google storing everything they collect on you. ever. indefinitely.

think i'll make the switch to scroogle today

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #17 of 207
dude, this is information age... Information is power.

Those who have it rule the planet

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #18 of 207
I trust google. I don't really mind giving them any information at all since I believe they will use it carefully.

One issue though I worry about is a conflict of interest... google makes most of its money off of online advertising, so how effective will adblocking in Chrome be?

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 207
Google has great mind share. If this leads to people moving away from IE, all the better. They also made a great choice in the rendering engine. From some brief searching, it looks like they are using WebKit (Safari engine). They're also using it for Android –Googles mobile platform.

I wonder what V8, their JS interpreter is based on.. Home grown? FireFox and WebKit has their own implementation with similar ideas to make it super fast.

I look forward to the day when all browsers conform to the same standard. Die IE! Die.
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One issue though I worry about is a conflict of interest... google makes most of its money off of online advertising, so how effective will adblocking in Chrome be?

I thought the same. But I think they cannot prevent third party extensions (or gears as they put it) since it's GPL and stuff.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can already see Apple exploiting this to their advantage, via Safari. And more power to them if they do.

It's actually the other way around for now. The sandboxing for each tab sound really interesting though. I hope the other browsers implement that.

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #22 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the same. But I think they cannot prevent third party extensions (or gears as they put it) since it's GPL and stuff.

It's actually BSD but it's still permissive enough not to interfere. I don't think we have to worry about them blocking any plug-ins. If they had a centralized distribution channel, they may be able to filter them out but I'm not aware of them having a download site for third-party add-ons.

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #24 of 207
Download link is finally up on the homepage
biggrin.gif

Safari, IE8, Firefox3, and now Google Chrome. They all have their advantages, so far i prefer FF3, will update after trying GC. Haven't played with Opera really.

I like FF3's save tabs feature, like the addon i had, and the number of tabs max before a knew row and arrow which i had to hack in about:config before... Bit slower though, needs the same FF2 hacks done i think. Dictionary and EXIF data viewer addons are great too, along with the shutdown after downloads and downloads toolbar addon.

Safari has no borders and looks great, and displays the longest preview when you hover over a forum topic.

IE8 has no benefits over any others!

Will update after trying GC.

Matt

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #25 of 207
I'm using it right now. It seems stable enough, and fast too. I just wish I could alter the layout of the elements.

It did crash once when loading up a Youtube video, but to my surprise, it only killed the tab it was in and not the whole browser. I know that it is designed that way, but to see it in action was pretty neat.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #27 of 207
Mmmm, like the view, and no borders on fullscreen like Safari, however you cant open a folder of bookmarks all at once like you can in FF2 and 3.

You can open tons of tabs, all the way until there isnt a letter or even an icon... Cool, but useless, FF3/FF2 hacked allowed you to go to 0 pixels of text i think hacked, but left the icon which helped. And when you hit X, it doesnt warn you like FF, so you can accidentally close all your tabs in 1 missed click, instead of FF's, 2, which is very unlikley.

Am I the only one here to have tried it yet? Come on, post!

EDIT:
Woah, fast posters! It is nippy. Time to try and crash a tab...

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #28 of 207
I just tried some java intensive websites and it keeps on reloading the page over and over and over again. It's very annoying. My initial impression? Not so stellar.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #29 of 207
Could you list those websites? I want to see if I can replicate the effects you describe.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #30 of 207
Using Chrome at the moment. So far I like it. It is clean and simple compared to FF3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back