Google's new browser, Chrome
Sep 2, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #31 of 207
it's pretty fast.

the Task Manager is awesome

I hope they have add-ons later, I will need BBCode for forums

Create application shortcut while on the gmail tab. Clicking it on the desktop opens Gmail in a app window like a standalone app. very cool.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #32 of 207
So far I am liking it.

If/when some of FF's features and add-on's/plug-in's get converted over, I can see switching over to chrome. Love the simplicity of it too, and it looks awesome on vista aero.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #33 of 207
Sep 2, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #34 of 207
Koreans are pretty homogenous in the browsers they use. Most on IE the with a tiny fraction on FireFox. The reloading happens in Safari too. It's not common in Korea so, no surprise there.

I bet they are sniffing for common browsers that visit their pages which is a really bad thing to do. And it's not Java but the JavaScripts on that page causing it. It's not the fault of Chrome.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #35 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not Java but the JavaScripts on that page causing it. It's not the fault of Chrome.

I knew that.
wink.gif

Actually, I have Safari on my Mac and I use Firefox on my PC and none of them does that funky reloading. I think I'll just stick with firefox until the 1.0 releases.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #36 of 207
trying it out.

seems nice. I miss the "file, view, tools..." menus at the top slightly.

major deal breaker though is that my middle click scroll function isn't working with chrome! is this a problem they will likely fix in a few days or is it a problem with my computer? works on firefox, IE, windows explorer, word, adobe and all that.

Sep 3, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #38 of 207
I downloaded Chrome at work today (Mac user at home). It really was lovely.

Google and Apple unofficially sharing technology is a great thing. Webkit renders fast, so Chrome uses that; Chrome uses the V8 Java VM, so I'm hoping Apple adopts that from Google.

That would give us two great solid browsers.

--Chris

Sep 3, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #39 of 207
I tried it earlier. I went back to FF3. While Chrome is a blazingly fast loading browser, for the moment, the lack of a good bookmark integration and the "baby proof" interface just does not appeal to me. Things will probably change as the software gets ready for a full 1.0 release tho.

Oh, I probably missed this, but where the Heck is the "Home" button or option?

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #40 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
major deal breaker though is that my middle click scroll function isn't working with chrome! is this a problem they will likely fix in a few days or is it a problem with my computer? works on firefox, IE, windows explorer, word, adobe and all that.

Yeah, I miss that too! It is a very nice browser, but I'll wait a bit until they add a few features like something similar to greasemonkey, quality scrolling support, and an ad-blocker.

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #41 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I probably missed this, but where the Heck is the "Home" button or option?

You have to set it under options for some reason.
It's under basics- can't miss it.

Edit: click on the wrench>options> basics

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #42 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew that.
wink.gif

You mentioned "java heavy" so I assumed you didn't.
wink.gif

Sorry to disappoint you but I have a computer science degree so, I do. I make that mistake more than I should though.

BTW, you forgot to put [/QUOTE] in your post.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #44 of 207
middle click is working for opening new tabs, but normally when I middle click in a non-link space I get a double-arrow icon and can scroll up or down the page by moving my cursor... I don't have a scroll wheel on my laptop.

so google will probably fix this within a few updates?

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #45 of 207
Using Chrome now. It's okay I suppose. The tabs being at the top is useful. And the fading loading status as well. Pages load slower than Firefox though. And my scrollbar on my laptop doesn't work when scrolling up. I only can scroll down. Lol. But it is a BETA after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back