Good "tubey" sounding amps for low impedance phones
Nov 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

clasam

100+ Head-Fier
Was looking Woo WA2, but that doesn't look so ideal for low impedance phones like Mad Dogs, ESW9, etc.  WA6se, Ray Samuels, Eddie Current seem to, based on other posts, be more "SS sounding".

So the question is...what are some good tubey sounding amps for low impedance phones (<$2000)?

Thanks,

Jon

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 16
I used my WA2 extensively with low impedance cans (Grados and Denons, not the ones you mention by name) and found the combination to be excellent. It's also quite sensitive to tube rolling and can be made to sound anywhere from relatively solid state-like to very stereotypically tube-y.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
I used my WA2 extensively with low impedance cans (Grados and Denons, not the ones you mention by name) and found the combination to be excellent. It's also quite sensitive to tube rolling and can be made to sound anywhere from relatively solid state-like to very stereotypically tube-y.

Do you feel that you gain anything when you switch to other, more "appropriate" amps?

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 16
Also look into

Decware Mini Torii
Audio Note Kit HE-6
SAC Thailand Minute http://www.headfonia.com/the-minute-45-amplifier-by-sac-thailand/

Haven't heard these myself though.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
Also look into

Decware Mini Torii
Audio Note Kit HE-6
SAC Thailand Minute http://www.headfonia.com/the-minute-45-amplifier-by-sac-thailand/

Haven't heard these myself though.

Thanks!

Anyone have a DNA Stratus?  Perhaps the new Sonett 2 will follow in its footsteps...

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Thanks...I was under the impression that the WA6 series weren't all that tube sounding...am I wrong?

They're "tube" light. For really tubey, then the MADs are what you're after. The Ear+HD is the "tubier" of the two.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 16
It seems really difficult for tube amps to be made with low output impedance suitable for low impedance phones...looking at the measly amount of tube amps made for low z phones out there

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #13 of 16
They need output transformers.
Good output transformers are $$$.
Hence, a decent low output impedance tube amp for low impedance headphones will be $$$.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
They need output transformers.
Good output transformers are $$$.
Hence, a decent low output impedance tube amp for low impedance headphones will be $$$.

Yeah...there are some reports that the WA2 is a "juicy" amp that does a good job of bucking the trend despite being otl, so I put it on my list.

Still a bit curious about the upcoming Sonnet 2 & decware csp2+ in regards to how juicy they are, both being transformer designs...

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 16
Sonnet 2 has a high output impedance as stated on their website. I think it is 26ohms? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back