Good sound and isolation with a headphone- AKG 81, AT M50, HD280?
Sep 5, 2010 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wermcran

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

Thanks for reading and for providing input.  I love headphones and I've been using my HD595s through my EMU 0404 USB for about 3 year, still loving the set up for it's comfort and soundstage. 

I need to buy a set of headphones to wear on the subway (40mins twice a day) and when traveling.  Noise reduction / isolation is thus a very high priority.  Unfortunately, I really don't like in ear monitors (I know it's probably the best option but it just feels weird for me...).  So I'm looking for on ear or over the ear headphones.

After reading a lot of reviews I just purchased some AKG 81 DJ headphones cause I heard they above average sound for their price and I found them for only 50 USD.  However, I'm worried that they won't provide enough isolation and that my money is better spent on perhaps HD280.  I might return the AKG 81 DJ phones for AT M50s if there is a considerable difference in the level of noise reduction.

I listen to music and audiobooks, but sound quality is not a huge priority for me, though of course I want to get the best for my money.

Can anyone compare the level of noise reduction between the AKG 81, AT M50 and HD280s?  Also, I'm powering this out of my nokia 5530 phones / music player.  Will this mp3 player be able to drive the phones equally?

I heard the sound quality of HD280s is not very impressive...but maybe the sound isloation is worth it. 

THANKS!

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 8
I've used the HD280 when working in an office. FWIR, the level of noise reduction for these headphones probably goes like this: HD280 > K581 > M50. Closed headphones don't block much external noise. It's the music playing that does it. Edit: K81 - not K581.

I suggest searching  Amazon.com for noise canceling headphones if you want greater passive noise blocking. Or, if your budget permits, you might want to consider active noise canceling headphones. But I don't know how well these work. 

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 8
i do like the look for the AKG 81's also.  I could see myself using them more when walking around and traveling.  Because they are DJ headphones I wonder if the isolation is comparable to AT M50s. 

The question is...Does the fact that the 81's only sit on the ear (and don't encompass it) greatly reduce the sound isolation?

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I've used the HD280 when working in an office. FWIR, the level of noise reduction for these headphones probably goes like this: HD280 > K581 > M50. Closed headphones don't block much external noise. It's the music playing that does it.

I suggest searching  Amazon.com for noise canceling headphones if you want greater passive noise blocking. Or, if your budget permits, you might want to consider active noise canceling headphones. But I don't know how well these work. 

Thanks for the reply!

By k581 you mean AKG k81 DJ phones right? that's what I purchased.  im debating returning them.  if the m50s have less isolation then, it's between hd280 and the 81's.  if that's the case i dont think 50 extra USD is worth the hd 280s updgrade granted i will be traveling with them and i hear the sound won't be a huge improvement from the 81's.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 8
I don't think any closed headphone would block out subway noise without you listening to them too loudly.

Sure they can block out most house sounds.
But loud things no not without listening to them too loudly.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 8
so i for sure need to consider in ear monitors then? 

would sound canceling headphones work?  are there any of 60 USD that are good? 

Quote:
I don't think any closed headphone would block out subway noise without you listening to them too loudly.

Sure they can block out most house sounds.
But loud things no not without listening to them too loudly.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 8
ear moniters would be best, but i got some hd280s for my brother almost 4 years ago, and except for some pad wear they are still going strong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back