Good Headphones For Metal
Dec 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 13
AKG Q701! 

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 13
They do like power, but even a Fiio E11 or Fiio E17 will do the job. The Fiio E17 is a great little amp if you want an amp/DAC combo to use with a computer. 
Quote:
I heard those were good but I hear the AKG's need an amplifier to sound good.

For the $380 I paid total, it is an awesome setup. What is your total budget? What are you currently using/have used?

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
They do like power, but even a Fiio E11 or Fiio E17 will do the job. The Fiio E17 is a great little amp if you want an amp/DAC combo to use with a computer. 

For the $380 I paid total, it is an awesome setup. What is your total budget? What are you currently using/have used?

Well I mean I just order the V-Moda Crossfade LP's and I'm getting them in a couple days and I only have around 180 dollars if I were to return those headphones. I mean I'm gonna buy another pair of headphones in the future. But even with those amps, can you use them with an iphone?

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 13
Sure can. The E11 and E17 both have a 3.5mm aux input so you can hook any analog source you want into them. An LOD like the L3 or L9 would be a good way to hook either up to an iPhone.

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026015
Quote:
Well I mean I just order the V-Moda Crossfade LP's and I'm getting them in a couple days and I only have around 180 dollars if I were to return those headphones. I mean I'm gonna buy another pair of headphones in the future. But even with those amps, can you use them with an iphone?

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 13
Depends if you want Open back headphones or closed back. The Denons are great for a closed back choice as for some open back choices, DT880/990 the HE300-400. Another closed back option is the K550.

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 13
I would not say that the AKG Q701 is good for rock/metal, in my opinion and experience they lack bass and rock/metal will sound more fun with the presence of some bass. It will not sound bad with the Q701 but I would prefer something that is stronger in the lower ends and mid bass. I really enjoy the sennheiser hd650, Beyerdynamic T1 and the akg k242 hd for rock music.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 13
i love my modded fostex t20rp (or t50rp) for black metal....i almost gave up on black metal because i discovered audio quality....got a pair of grados and rediscovered music again....but could not stand black metal anymore because of the high treble , but getting a pair of fostex cured that because i modded them to my liking.

But other than that, thrash, doom, death i love my Grados sr225i and would not change them

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
The AKG K550 aren't good for fast pace metal

What didn't you like about them? I got to try it with a loaner DX100 and by the time I let my ears breathe I think I've gone through nearly all my favorite Kamelot, Dream Theater and Nightwish  tracks (and the dealer's wasn't a regular hi-fi lounge- it was a headphone-gadget hub smack under an escalator in a mall). It was a bit less exciting and the treble wasn't as smooth with my Galaxy S3 (no surprises there) so I'm holding out until the X3 comes out; I'm not really into listening while moving around, other than on a long ride where I'm not driving, and I've been content with just whatever phone I have and a CX300II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back