Good gaming headphones
Jun 15, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #19 of 36
So I'm back to square one now, and am considering these 3 headphones:

1. ATH-AD700
2. Samson SR850
3. FA-011

1. Is it possible to EQ or mod this for sufficient bass?
2. Seems pretty awesome. :p Will get this if the AD-700's bass can't be fixed.
3. Also seems awesome. 2 things though, 1. I will have to wait for Frogbeats to restock 2. Will I need a amp? If the Xonar DG or E6 can power it that would be great.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:
So I'm back to square one now, and am considering these 3 headphones:

1. ATH-AD700
2. Samson SR850
3. FA-011

1. Is it possible to EQ or mod this for sufficient bass?
2. Seems pretty awesome. :p Will get this if the AD-700's bass can't be fixed.
3. Also seems awesome. 2 things though, 1. I will have to wait for Frogbeats to restock 2. Will I need a amp? If the Xonar DG or E6 can power it that would be great.

Owning the FA-011, I'd say for games like Assassin's Creed, where they're not competitive they sound nice in stereo. But for FPS gaming, where you need soundstage, positioning queues and detail, the bass is too powerful. Ultimately, that's why I'm letting mine go. For my games, the bass was a bit too much for me. Now don't take that to mean the soundstage and positioning are bad, by any means. They're excellent and the bass is superb; when used in stereo. I game with Dolby Headphone. I can't explain why, but once that gets turned on, they seem to get lazy and the sound just degrades. It was very difficult for me to pick out positioning queues, and the bass washed out certain details.

As for the AD700, they didn't fit my head so they went back the day after picking them up, and I've never had any experience with the SR850.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #21 of 36
Save the cash, get the Samson SR850 and Xonar DG for now.
Sometimes you can get low cost Velour ear pads for the SR850.
You can all ways upgrade the headphones at a later date.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #22 of 36
Ahh I've heard about overlowering bass on the FA-011, thanks.

I'm still growing, so the AD700 would Probably fit worse on me.

I'm actually going to Germany in July, so I could get the velour pads then.

There's also the FA-011 availability to consider, so I think I'm gonna get the SR850 and save the money for like, a graphics card or something. :p

Thanks everyone! I'll post impressions when I get setup. :D

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #23 of 36
FA-011 is fantastic for gaming (non-competitive).  Great soundstage, runs on Xonar DG well and good detail.  Bass is there but doesn't drown out much (not over-whelming like Beyers/Ultrasones).  And, they perform well in the other areas you like with their warm sig and solid mids.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:
Ahh I've heard about overlowering bass on the FA-011, thanks.
I'm still growing, so the AD700 would Probably fit worse on me.
I'm actually going to Germany in July, so I could get the velour pads then.
There's also the FA-011 availability to consider, so I think I'm gonna get the SR850 and save the money for like, a graphics card or something. :p
Thanks everyone! I'll post impressions when I get setup.
biggrin.gif

Thomann (Germany) sells the Velour ear pads that fit the SR850
AKG K240/241/270 Velour ear pads
Or listed as AKG K271 Velour ear pads.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #25 of 36
I'm gonna get the SR850 but am worried about upgrade-itis.

So final question, FA-003(RM530-USD165) VS SR850(RM130-USD40) for gaming and classical music?

Thanks so much :D
XHale

Jun 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #28 of 36
XHale,

As far as I am concerned, there is but *one* gaming headphone in the sub $100 range: TurtleBeach Ear Force X12 ($60) - Phenomenal soundstage, booming bass, crystal clear top - front and center middle with absolute Dolby digital performance - live directional response.
One user swears that his game kills improved simply because "I heard them coming!" - Street prices range from $45 up to $60 - This set is a real surprise in this price range...I have to repeat that I am amazed at the sound of these babies!

And you will be amazed at how well they perform with music - They are impressive and sound just as good as cans costing 3 times as much! (They are not as "warm and rounded" as a sophisticated set, but they far exceed what is expected in their price range). The TurtleBeach X12 also has a more expensive sibling ($270) - the Ear Force XP500 which is also making a lot of noise among gamers. Don't waste your money on anything else!

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #29 of 36
Thanks for the recommendation, but I've seen reports of TB headsets breaking, hissing, SQ sucks etc. etc.

I think I've decided on the Brainwavz HM5/FA-003 but I just missed the sale on them so I'm gonna wait awhile. :p

What's a good cheap amp to use with them? I have a Asus Xonar DG now BTW.
Would be good if it was portable (for use with my old Ipod).

XHale

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #30 of 36
i have the hippo box+ amp, it improves everything a little, better soundstage, deeper bass, more crisp treble- the difference is not like day and night though, but since it comes free in quite a number of bundles at jaben it might be worth considering, which jaben do you go to? penang or main land?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back