Good earphones for $150?
Jun 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

frostz

New Head-Fier
I mainly listen to different varieties of house music, trance, dubstep, drum & bass, and some rap. I bought a pair of Sennheiser CX-270s but thought that they were pretty ****ty. I was considering Shure SE215 and ATH-CKM500 but I'm open to suggestions on some good earphones. Noise isolation would be cool to have but not necessary. My budget is $150. Thanks for the help!

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 21
Rockit Sounds R-50, TWFK dual driver, amazing sound quality for $120 (cheaper and better fitting version of the GR01), free shipping, fits nicely with no discomfort and has one of the best all around soundstage you can find.  Order it, receive it, listen, love it (i'm in a weird mood today).

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
Rockit Sounds R-50, TWFK dual driver, amazing sound quality for $120 (cheaper and better fitting version of the GR01), free shipping, fits nicely with no discomfort and has one of the best all around soundstage you can find.  Order it, receive it, listen, love it (i'm in a weird mood today).

Salesman mood? Hahaha.

Quote:
I mainly listen to different varieties of house music, trance, dubstep, drum & bass, and some rap. I bought a pair of Sennheiser CX-270s but thought that they were pretty ****ty. I was considering Shure SE215 and ATH-CKM500 but I'm open to suggestions on some good earphones. Noise isolation would be cool to have but not necessary. My budget is $150. Thanks for the help!

I'd say your best bet for the "wub wub" is Se215's like you've been considering. Most GOOD bass in an IEM I've ever heard. I've listened to the HF5 and R-50 and I'd say they are very detailed, analytical headphones. (before anyone comments, it's just MY OPINION).

I thought the Monster turbines were a bit muddy in comparison to the Se215's, but a lot of people like the Miles Davis Tributes.

I think the Monster line of headphones are very heavy and slip out of your ears, but offer more bass. The Se215 is the best bet for isolation and comfort since it has the over the ear hook. Not to mention removable cables.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Salesman mood? Hahaha.

I'd say your best bet for the "wub wub" is Se215's like you've been considering. Most GOOD bass in an IEM I've ever heard. I've listened to the HF5 and R-50 and I'd say they are very detailed, analytical headphones. (before anyone comments, it's just MY OPINION).

I thought the Monster turbines were a bit muddy in comparison to the Se215's, but a lot of people like the Miles Davis Tributes.

I think the Monster line of headphones are very heavy and slip out of your ears, but offer more bass. The Se215 is the best bet for isolation and comfort since it has the over the ear hook. Not to mention removable cables.

I think the R-50 has a some what of a analytical sound but with added warmth which gives them a nice musical vibe plus the soundstage is awesome imo.  Now the HF5 is just straight analytical with a cold mechanical feel to them and thats why I sold mine awhile ago.

Now I listen to everything the OP does and the R-50 work great but you might want to look at the EPH-100 as well, its balanced with more bass impact which will be good for the drum & bass and other heavy bass music.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

I think the R-50 has a some what of a analytical sound but with added warmth which gives them a nice musical vibe plus the soundstage is awesome imo.  Now the HF5 is just straight analytical with a cold mechanical feel to them and thats why I sold mine awhile ago.

From what I've heard, the R-50 is usually compared to the DBA-02, which is a very detailed headphone, but much more expensive. What seems to be the selling point for the R-50, is that's it's cheaper and sounds the same. Maybe I'm mistaken. But yes the DBA-02 and R-50's are not dead mechanical like the Etymotic headphones, but definitely don't have the bass that the Se215 or Miles Davis headphones do. Just a thought.

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 21
Really they sounds more like the GR01, I had a chance to do a back to back comparison and they sound a lot alike and imo the R-50 fits better and is about $60 cheaper.

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 21
If by mechanical... You All mean the accuracy with which it reproduces music?

Granted, By Far the best line/Manufacturer out there.

Etymotic.

Jim

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
If by mechanical... You All mean the accuracy with which it reproduces music?

Granted, By Far the best line/Manufacturer out there.

Etymotic.

Jim

It's very accurate, but it doesn't add any musicality to it. Just plays it back unchanged. Which can be boring for some people like myself.

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

It's very accurate, but it doesn't add any musicality to it. Just plays it back unchanged. Which can be boring for some people like myself.

That's what an equalizer is for...

You control the color, not your headphones.

Jim

PS That is an original reason for settling for colored headphones though... Good One!

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 21
Out of all of those, the sony ex-600 would be my best bet.
Quality low-end, spacious presentation, and great accuracy.
It's not boring or flat either.

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
Out of all of those, the sony ex-600 would be my best bet.
Quality low-end, spacious presentation, and great accuracy.
It's not boring or flat either.

Hows about a freq chart???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back