Going to Hong Kong in two weeks. What should I buy?
Jan 6, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #16 of 50

Quote:
Quote:
If you see anyone on the street trying to sell you a pair of headphones for dirt cheap, run far away because they're probably fake! Ok, maybe not, but most likely!
I think HK is the only place where I had people chasing me down the street trying to sell me a suit! I guess a tall white guy is an easy target
normal_smile%20.gif

I love Hong Kong though and went there for my last vacation. Not a good choice for relaxing though unless you get away from the crowds.

I always wondered if there was a giant store there that had lots of high end headphones for demo. Is there? Hong Kong has a lot of rich people, so I figured a store like this would be popular.

The only headphone seller I'm aware of in HK is Accessory Jack. Do they have a retail store? Probably not and I don't know much about them, but they sell a lot of rare headphones.

HAHA yeah they only target foreigners:) 
Yup there is, but its nearly impossible to find..."www.mingo-hmw.com" Tel: 2770 6919.
They're one of the largest shops in hongkong, if not the largest.
Address: 九龍旺角彌敦道594-596號 旺角新城 12樓全層 - So its uhh...Whole of Floor 12, 旺角新城 (building name's in chinese), 594-596 Nathan Road, Mong Kok, Kowloon.
12f.jpg

you just made me a sad panda... I think I need to go visit 32ohm audio now.......and just cry lol.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 50
HAHA thats only a section of the store. The store (well its actually called a Headphone Club) takes up the whole floor 12 of the building so yeah.
They let you test almost anything you request :p
Really good service and great prices.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #18 of 50

HAHA thats only a section of the store. The store (well its actually called a Headphone Club) takes up the whole floor 12 of the building so yeah.

They let you test almost anything you request :p

Really good service and great prices.

Do you know what they sell the z1000 for and can I ask for better price if I buy there?

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 50
Currently...Z1000 goes for the official price since its newly released so its $3998HKD so its around $512.5USD. Buut you can haggle a bit i think to 3900, which is still like...$500
Its newly released so prices don't drop

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #20 of 50
Quite a funny thread - someone mentions that its hard to relax unless you can get away from the crowds, then the OP mentions that he will be staying in Kowloon  :)

Its a crazy place - at least as crazy as anything I have encountered in SE Asia, with the possible exception of an afternoon on the streets of Jakarta. I just dont know how these cities can continue to grow at such exponential rates and still remain even vaguely 'sustainable', but thats someone else's problem.

Asia-only models aside, if you find genuine headphones for sale cheaper than (USD equivalent) Amazon prices, please let us know - I would be astounded if that is the case, particularly with a Gwailo walking straight in off the street. Always happy to hear otherwise.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #21 of 50
@OP Can you check how much they're selling HD650?

You don't wanna know what Jakarta is like right now :p

Quote:
Quite a funny thread - someone mentions that its hard to relax unless you can get away from the crowds, then the OP mentions that he will be staying in Kowloon  :)

Its a crazy place - at least as crazy as anything I have encountered in SE Asia, with the possible exception of an afternoon on the streets of Jakarta. I just dont know how these cities can continue to grow at such exponential rates and still remain even vaguely 'sustainable', but thats someone else's problem.

Asia-only models aside, if you find genuine headphones for sale cheaper than (USD equivalent) Amazon prices, please let us know - I would be astounded if that is the case, particularly with a Gwailo walking straight in off the street. Always happy to hear otherwise.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #22 of 50
MRSP of Z1000 in hong kong is 200 cheaper than the US anyways...
and Mong Kok has one of the highest population densities in the world :D

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #23 of 50
Oh my god!  I need to go there..  Good thing my girlfriend is Chinese :wink: 

"Hey hunnie... we need to take a trip... to visit your....... relatives.  They moved to Hong Kong."

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #25 of 50
Bwahaha I live 10 minutes away from that place

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #28 of 50
Mingo's nice, and they have a good selection of IEMs as well as higher end over-the-ears, but my store of choice is Jaben in HK. They have a largest selection of over-the-ears and pretty much lets you try on anything you'd want for as long as you want. The staff is knowledgeable and nice; the only problems with it is that they do not have good selection of amps, and it's better to bring your own source.

Jaben is also located in Mong Kok (where Mingo is), but I don't have an address; it's somewhere on the Jaben forums though I'm sure. The other place to look at is King Sound, but I heard they mostly have accessories, but you can bargain there which is nice.

I wouldn't buy headphones there, but rather other things like DACs/AMPs/other accessories in HK because it's so overpriced.

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #29 of 50
Actually, most of the headphone shops I know of are in the same place...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back