Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 18, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #61,036 of 62,764
Looking for a recommendation I think I know my options but I wanted to get a second opinion in case I’m missing anything.

Looking for a new tws, I’ve owned most of the big ones already but now looking to settle.
I’m not absolutely fussed on the strongest ANC, I’m looking for a set that visually aren’t massive, ideally have a good profile in the ear like AirPods Pro or Bose earbuds ultra.
I care a lot about a punchy dynamic sound with no sibilance as I’m a bit sensitive to treble, or at least an EQ to fix it. I loved the sound of the B&O EX, but they hurt my ears after an hour.

Currently leaning towards the Bose Ultra, I use an iPhone. I do like the new AirPods but found their sound a bit basic and I would have preferred the option to EQ.
Only thing about the Bose Ultra is I’m aware their connection is a bit iffy, at least the first time I owned them it was, however Bose warranty is excellent and they’ll replace nearly anything.

Any other options I should look at?
Thanks in advance.
Oppo Enco X2 - the shape is similar to the AirPods, they are very comfortable. The app offers 3 preset EQs and a personalized one. ANC is decent, and the call quality is OK.
The other recommendation would be the Bose. I only have the Bose QC2, and I find them very good, even more comfortable than Oppo. Soundwise, I didn’t like them at first, thought they were all bass, no highs, but after some days they started growing on me. One thing I noted though, they are very album sensitive, quite often I have to change the EQ setting moving from an album to another. Some days they just don't connect though 😞. I hear the Ultra are even better.

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #61,037 of 62,764
Oppo Enco X2 - the shape is similar to the AirPods, they are very comfortable. The app offers 3 preset EQs and a personalized one. ANC is decent, and the call quality is OK.
The other recommendation would be the Bose. I only have the Bose QC2, and I find them very good, even more comfortable than Oppo. Soundwise, I didn’t like them at first, thought they were all bass, no highs, but after some days they started growing on me. One thing I noted though, they are very album sensitive, quite often I have to change the EQ setting moving from an album to another. Some days they just don't connect though 😞. I hear the Ultra are even better.
I used to love oppo stuff but when I moved to iPhone I didn’t use them since, although they are good. I think I might just get the Bose ultra, that seems to be the most frequent suggestion. Thanks!

Mar 18, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #61,038 of 62,764
Looking for a recommendation I think I know my options but I wanted to get a second opinion in case I’m missing anything.

Looking for a new tws, I’ve owned most of the big ones already but now looking to settle.
I’m not absolutely fussed on the strongest ANC, I’m looking for a set that visually aren’t massive, ideally have a good profile in the ear like AirPods Pro or Bose earbuds ultra.
I care a lot about a punchy dynamic sound with no sibilance as I’m a bit sensitive to treble, or at least an EQ to fix it. I loved the sound of the B&O EX, but they hurt my ears after an hour.

Currently leaning towards the Bose Ultra, I use an iPhone. I do like the new AirPods but found their sound a bit basic and I would have preferred the option to EQ.
Only thing about the Bose Ultra is I’m aware their connection is a bit iffy, at least the first time I owned them it was, however Bose warranty is excellent and they’ll replace nearly anything.

Thanks in advance.
Curious on this. You said you're looking at Bose. Wouldn't they be in the top 3 for bulk size wise?

My reco would be to look at the OPPO Enco X2 or the Huawei Freebuds Pro (whatever the latest version is)

The Chinese brands using the dual driver have pretty great feedback.

Also form factor is one of the ost comfy and similar to APP. Despite the stem I still find them the most comfortable as well as great features

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #61,039 of 62,764

Thanks in advance.
The Jabra Elite 10 seems to check every box. I think they sound great with AAC.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #61,040 of 62,764
Curious on this. You said you're looking at Bose. Wouldn't they be in the top 3 for bulk size wise?

My reco would be to look at the OPPO Enco X2 or the Huawei Freebuds Pro (whatever the latest version is)

The Chinese brands using the dual driver have pretty great feedback.

Also form factor is one of the ost comfy and similar to APP. Despite the stem I still find them the most comfortable as well as great features
Yes case wise they aren’t small. But the actual earbuds are quite flat against the side of your face and they visually look quite smart imo. My issue is when they stick out sideways from your ears, I think they look a bit silly. But that’s just a personal opinion, no offence intended.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #61,041 of 62,764
Great suggestion, I wish more people owned this TWS, sounds great, connection is solid. However I wasn’t a massive fan of their aesthetic 😂

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #61,043 of 62,764
After spending a couple weeks getting to know the Aurvana Ace, I'll share some impressions, which largely echo what others have said. I went with the regular Ace since I don't have a device that can send aptx lossless, so no point spending extra money on the Ace 2. I was somewhat underwhelmed at first. Did some tip rolling and ended up with some silicones from the collection (no idea where they originally came from). After taking some time to find an EQ setting that works with my ears, I'm enjoying them. Not my favorites, but for the $ they are excellent.

Pros:
-Good sound. Clarity, pretty good soundstage, respond well to eq.
-Case is small and light, buds are light and comfortable.
-LE audio works with my Samsung phone and sounds good. I still slightly prefer the sound of Aptx Adaptive using a bt-w5 adapter.

Cons:
-ANC is weak. Very little natural isolation from the buds.
-terrible in wind, even with ANC off (I think it's the nature of stem designs).
-the app doesn't work when LE audio is being used.
-although the bass is fine for the price, a higher quality dynamic element would probably improve sound.

Bottom line is I'm keeping them. They live in my office now, where I don't need to block out outside noise or deal with wind. Promising

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #61,044 of 62,764
So I heard that they were about to release a new firmware that enables snapdragon sound and fixes connection issues. But then they pulled it again, good to know it’s at least on the horizon. If they didn’t have those they would be perfect for me. There is confidence knowing that their warranty is honoured without receipt in the UK based on manufacture date. And they just give you a sealed unit every time, just takes a few weeks as it goes abroad. But yes I think that’s definitely on my shortlist as a top 3, have been thinking about the XM5 also, what’s your thoughts on those?
For months, I've been listening to the Ultras using Snapdragon sound/aptX Adaptive. The only connection issue is the single-point connection. I don't know anyone who thinks it a good idea, me included.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #61,045 of 62,764
After spending a couple weeks getting to know the Aurvana Ace, I'll share some impressions, which largely echo what others have said. I went with the regular Ace since I don't have a device that can send aptx lossless, so no point spending extra money on the Ace 2. I was somewhat underwhelmed at first. Did some tip rolling and ended up with some silicones from the collection (no idea where they originally came from). After taking some time to find an EQ setting that works with my ears, I'm enjoying them. Not my favorites, but for the $ they are excellent.

Pros:
-Good sound. Clarity, pretty good soundstage, respond well to eq.
-Case is small and light, buds are light and comfortable.
-LE audio works with my Samsung phone and sounds good. I still slightly prefer the sound of Aptx Adaptive using a bt-w5 adapter.

Cons:
-ANC is weak. Very little natural isolation from the buds.
-terrible in wind, even with ANC off (I think it's the nature of stem designs).
-the app doesn't work when LE audio is being used.
-although the bass is fine for the price, a higher quality dynamic element would probably improve sound.

Bottom line is I'm keeping them. They live in my office now, where I don't need to block out outside noise or deal with wind. Promising

That is because LE-audio (longer battery use) using the LC3 Codec is a replacement for SBC and not to compete with the aptX Family or LDAC for SQ.

FYI I get longer out of the JLab Epic Edition using Windows AD2P Driver (to get 16/44.1 AAC instead of native 16/48 AAC) than with the LE JLab Dongle and the claims of 9+hour with ANC at 50% Vol is BS I get 8 hours +/- few mins at 20% volume but I found the same on their older earbuds (had 3 sets).

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #61,046 of 62,764
OnePlus Buds 3

Had to get a new TWS for my work, list getting long of owned buds over the years. Sound is often good on most buds, the problem is always microphones being bad from the start or getting worse over time. And that list is with Sony, AKG, Bose, Jabra, etc. The one who has had the best clean microphone was Huawei Freebuds Pro 2, but that also said goodbye now after daily use for 1.5 years.

Wanted to try something else this time, OnePlus Buds 3. And I'm super impressed by both the sound quality for music, and the exceptionally clean microphone. Talk a lot on the phone at construction sites and I have a darker pitched voice, this is so clean and full sounding that a few have mentioned it asking if I'm home from work since it's so silent and clean.

And I really don't have anything to complain about the sound of them playing music, EQed it to my taste and it is quite impressive and can rival much more expensive buds in technicalities and how natural and rich the timbre is.

This is not a review unit or anything like that, just a purchase I did for myself. Paid $100 here in Norway with 2 year warranty, would call that a really good deal.

1000029804.jpg

1000029794.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #61,048 of 62,764
Mar 19, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #61,050 of 62,764
Tell me more - these are on ebay refurbished for $125.00. Worth it? Wind mode is solid?
Wind mode is automatic so a bit hit and miss but better than some other TWS that try to manage it automatically. Wish they just had a wind choice like Sennheiser. MTW3 is more consistent at getting rid of wind sound when listening to music. But I think the Elite 10 is better for voice calls and it seems to handle wind a bit better in this area as well.

The last FW on the Elite definitely made them better. They also have at least one more coming out but don't bet on when it will released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back