Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 29, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #58,411 of 62,419
Ooh, just because of size? Hearing damage potential?

In that case, is there any on ear TWS style you'd recommend?
Apologies for the late response. Looks like others have replied with reasons I'd have said.

To reiterate:

- Cannot monitor volume and kids tend to push it up rather than down - can cause ear damage (permanent)
- Can cause infections and irritation
- Developmental delays due to being deprived from auditory experiences
- For the 5 year old, potentially a choking hazard, especially TWS!

Ideally, if you were to get some you'd get some aimed at kids or at least some with an EU volume limiter and limit usage to under an hour at a time. Sure, sound is annoying but I'd take the annoyance over ear damage etc any day!

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #58,414 of 62,419
Ooh, just because of size? Hearing damage potential?

In that case, is there any on ear TWS style you'd recommend?
My 5 year old uses these and loves them: Limited-time deal: Belkin SoundForm Mini - Wireless Bluetooth Headphones with Built in Microphone - Kids On-Ear Earphones for iPhone, Fire Tablet & More - Blue w/Case https://a.co/d/6JRwDDl

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #58,415 of 62,419
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for forever but typically focus on the TOTL TWS and I've been asked for advice for what to buy for two little cousins (8 and 5) to use with ipads.

I'm tempted to say that they should just get a cheap wired set, but I figure it's worth asking: What is one of the most solid purchase, game compatible (low latency), cheapish (Ideally under $50 - $75), and ideally water resistant TWS sets that we can get for them? I'm thinking Fiil, JLab, any of the brands that offer a cheap but solid option.

TIA!

There are now lots of kid-specific wireless cans that are smaller and have volume limiters.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=puro+kids+headphones&crid=A5C9TWBL0Y48&sprefix=puro+kids,aps,181&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_9

Aside from safety and fit concerns, TWS would probably be lost. I would stick with wireless unless you want to get blamed for them yanking those Ipads off the table onto the floor.
Agree with others that I would not get TWS for young kids. My son has been using a pair of Puro headphones that I got for a trip when he was about 3 or so. I liked it so much I bought a second as a backup. Volume is limited in bluetooth and wired mode to protect hearing and earcups/headband are a good fit for smaller heads (can't even put it on my head). Turned out to be very handy when he went to Kindergarten and they started using iPads in class since it has a passive wired mode (one less thing to keep charged and school said no bluetooth). I think he is still on the first pair and he is 6 now.

Nov 29, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #58,417 of 62,419
https://fccid.io/2A3ULMTW4

MTW4 for CES?! 🫠

Sennheiser along with Technics probably have the most complete solutions.

So for the MTW4s I'm really only after further sound quality improvements along with the latest Bluetooth tech.

Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Edit: A nail in the coffin for the textile case would be fine too, make the other shell of aluminium please!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #58,418 of 62,419
https://fccid.io/2A3ULMTW4

MTW4 for CES?! 🫠

Sennheiser along with Technics probably have the most complete solutions.

So for the MTW4s I'm really only after further sound quality improvements along with the latest Bluetooth tech.

Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Edit: A nail in the coffin for the textile case would be fine too, make the other shell of aluminium please!
I wonder if Sennheiser could feasibly make a tws as good as their ie600/i900, and if not, what exactly prevents that.

I really want a tws that can compete with my solid wired iems.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #58,419 of 62,419
Well, I have now had 3, yes 3, pairs of DPP TWS. All 3 had faulty performance for different reasons. First pair, audio drops, crackles, and other interference. Second pair, from a different batch, you had to jostle the right bud in the case to get it to seat and start charging every time. Third pair, unbelievably loud static bursts the would be sustained until you put the buds back in the case.

I’m done. Peace DPP. ✌️

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #58,420 of 62,419
I wonder if Sennheiser could feasibly make a tws as good as their ie600/i900, and if not, what exactly prevents that.

I really want a tws that can compete with my solid wired iems.

I think the main difficulties are:
1. TWS basically takes over most of the audio-related player functions from your DAP, so instead of a full size PCB with arrays of quality (i.e. big) caps and resisters in your DAP we have to settle with a miniature PCB with generic off-the-shelf tiny, integrated chips coupled with tiny (i.e. inferior) electrical parts fitted in your TWS to do everything from conversion to amplifying, restricting the possibilities of audio goodness
2. No matter how capable the driver/drivers in a TWS are, the coupling space is too small for better coupling chambers or air flow management machanisms.

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #58,421 of 62,419
I think the main difficulties are:
1. TWS basically takes over most of the audio-related player functions from your DAP, so instead of a full size PCB with arrays of quality (i.e. big) caps and resisters in your DAP we have to settle with a miniature PCB with generic off-the-shelf tiny, integrated chips coupled with tiny (i.e. inferior) electrical parts fitted in your TWS to do everything from conversion to amplifying, restricting the possibilities of audio goodness
2. No matter how capable the driver/drivers in a TWS are, the coupling space is too small for better coupling chambers or air flow management machanisms.
I get that for the most part, but with TWS like Status Between 3 ANC I can see how most of the PCB, battery and electrical components etc could be all located in the 'outer' part leaving room for drivers and more room for coupling chambers, or I am completely wrong with my assumptions here?

Nov 30, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #58,422 of 62,419
I get that for the most part, but with TWS like Status Between 3 ANC I can see how most of the PCB, battery and electrical components etc could be all located in the 'outer' part leaving room for drivers and more room for coupling chambers, or I am completely wrong with my assumptions here?
Same deal with Final Audio's ZE 8000, which I personally believe is one of the best sounding TWS out there. I hope we'll see some real reviews of the MK II soon...!

Attachments

• final-audio-ze8000-accessories-2737541404.jpg
    final-audio-ze8000-accessories-2737541404.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 0
Nov 30, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #58,423 of 62,419
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back