Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 20, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #57,661 of 62,798
Thanks for the write up.

The genres you mention I would have assumed work better with a DD. Although my experience with BA bass has been pretty good (just sounds like bass).

How does comfort fare? Don't have a super comfy pair atm which is half of why I was looking at them.
If you find the right tips, they’re very comfortable. I have zero issues with it. And honestly, this set is not that bad with genres mentioned. It’s not as good as my other AK set (Odyssey), but for convenience the UW100 is a pretty bassy BA set.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #57,663 of 62,798
The Ultra are the best ANC buds in my lot. IMO, much better than the AZ80 and honestly, Bose gets a lot of slack, but the Ultra ( and the QC2) do sound decent for what they are. I use them often, for music, calls and movies. Hands down the best ANC buds for air travel.
Would agree on the ANC -- of the 4 sets of ANC buds i've tried in the past month the Bose were by far the most potent on ANC
However i didn't enjoy them musically as some of the others because the bass floor didn't extend far enough down and was definitely tight / clean bass but no sub-bass

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #57,664 of 62,798
Still waiting for that firmware update for my Bose QC II that promised aptx and was scheduled for 'spring 2023' ...

"At the Qualcomm Snapdragon Summit, Bose (who partnered with Qualcomm earlier this year) announced that it will offer a firmware update next spring to bring the codec onboard the buds, alongside low latency."

from whathifi
I recently read in The Verge's review of QC Ultra buds that:-

Some owners are convinced that Bose has all but abandoned that plan with such a rapid jump to the QC Ultra Earbuds. They’re worried about being left in the lurch despite spending a premium on last year’s buds, and I can understand the frustration. But Bose spokesperson Joanne Berthiaume says the promised features are still coming eventually. “On QCE II, we have been delayed in bringing the Snapdragon update to that product, but we still have plans to roll it out via a software update later this year,” she told me by email. “We prioritized launching it in our latest earbuds/ headphones first.”

Again not 100% but at least they "have plans" 🙂.

https://www.theverge.com/23883649/bose-quietcomfort-ultra-earbuds-review

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #57,665 of 62,798
Please can someone recommend some TWS earphones for running outdoors? They would need to have good sound quality, bass, be comfortable and waterproof. Budgetwise, am just happy to pay the money for the right set.

Oct 21, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #57,666 of 62,798
Please can someone recommend some TWS earphones for running outdoors? They would need to have good sound quality, bass, be comfortable and waterproof. Budgetwise, am just happy to pay the money for the right set.
Though they aren't near my top of the list for sq, for outdoor activities, or workouts in general where you want to hear stuff, it's hard to beat AirPods Pro 2. The transparency mode is so natural, and the ANC is great, especially. With that said, I also own Noble Fokus Pro and Denon PerL Pro, which are my go to for everything EXCEPT working out.

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #57,667 of 62,798
Yeah I tried them at Creative's creators press day in London last week. They've got two models scheduled for release towards the end of November - Aurvana Ace and Aurvana Ace 2. Both have Qualcomm chipsets, the latter support AptX lossless and Snapdragon Sound. Both support LE/LC3 and Creative talked about the existing products on the market and how they haven't really demonstrated the capabilities of either LC3 or LE at all. Creative have their range of dongles as well, so they're hoping this will push these technologies forward.

The Aurvana Ace 2 in particular sounded really nice, and I believe the price will be quite competitive. Their CEO was there and he made a big thing about giving more people the opportunity to try these new technologies. I can't share much more than that really as per what helmutcheese said - no NDA but it was a very small forum (only five of us, one was one of the big review sites, the others were Twitch affiliates) so I should probably err on the side of caution with what I say!

Any brief comparison with other TWS on the market may I ask? :)

By dongles you mean ones that have 4.4mm connectors?

Oct 21, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #57,668 of 62,798
It depends on your ears. My use case for tws is the exact same as yours. Denon PerL Pro is the best and has made me stop looking for alternatives. Waterproof to ipx4 which is good enough.

But again, a lot of people struggle with the fit. For me, just perfect. Run and workout with them all the time. Thought I might still use the Fokus Pro or the IMR BC 23 (wired but still thin good wires for running) on occasion but just seems like a waste running without the Denon in my ears.

Maybe someone with the Gemini II (supposed similar sound presentation) could chime in on this use case as the fit is probably better.

Oct 21, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #57,669 of 62,798
Shure TW2 + SE215. I use a TW2 with my SE846 for long distance running and it's the most comfortable and secure setup out of anything I've tried.

Oct 21, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #57,670 of 62,798
Bang Olufsen EX are good - but for solid running I’d look at something that goes over the ear - that way they don’t fall out ever.. I find that virally all needs some adjustment when I walk or run. So it depends on how much you run - if you need dedicated or can live with some adjustment to also have a pair for regular use

Oct 21, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #57,671 of 62,798
Kinda shocked.
Decided to have a play on tidal. Normally use Spotify for everything and it's fine. It is that it is
But thought I'd see if I could perceive any difference between the 2 services on tws earbuds running on a Lossless, or at least a high Res codec (SSC), and the result kinda shocked me

Been listening to a lot of edm lately, mostly chill house or liquid trance for want of a better description (I'm too old to care)
But the quality of bass and overall presentation was pretty distinctly improved by tidal hifi (cd flac).
I'm kinda stunned. I don't normally detect much difference a/b'ing music but in this case it was pronounced. There was a richness and clarity that just opened up the tracks time after time.

Might end up making the switch to Tidal family from Spotify family

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #57,672 of 62,798
Kinda shocked.
Decided to have a play on tidal. Normally use Spotify for everything and it's fine. It is that it is
But thought I'd see if I could perceive any difference between the 2 services on tws earbuds running on a Lossless, or at least a high Res codec (SSC), and the result kinda shocked me

Been listening to a lot of edm lately, mostly chill house or liquid trance for want of a better description (I'm too old to care)
But the quality of bass and overall presentation was pretty distinctly improved by tidal hifi (cd flac).
I'm kinda stunned. I don't normally detect much difference a/b'ing music but in this case it was pronounced. There was a richness and clarity that just opened up the tracks time after time.

Might end up making the switch to Tidal family from Spotify family
Yeah, Spotify’s sq isn’t very good.

Oct 21, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #57,673 of 62,798
Yeah, Spotify’s sq isn’t very good.
QBuz,Tidal have the HiFi , what at least keeps me with Spotify is the wide range of their library and their algorithms have really allowed me to discover a wide gamut of music.
Have tried Apple Music that has a large library but Spotify still beats them by quite a lot with their Algorithms.

Oct 21, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #57,674 of 62,798
Though they aren't near my top of the list for sq, for outdoor activities, or workouts in general where you want to hear stuff, it's hard to beat AirPods Pro 2. The transparency mode is so natural, and the ANC is great, especially. With that said, I also own Noble Fokus Pro and Denon PerL Pro, which are my go to for everything EXCEPT working out.
Cant go wrong with Sennheiser TW3. Great sound, comfort, fit. IP rated as the rest, good anc, great sound and right now they are VERY cheap for what they give you.

If price is not an issue, consider MTB 03, AZ80 or wait for Sennheiser 4 to come out.. Those are on my watchlist atm.

Oct 21, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #57,675 of 62,798
QBuz,Tidal have the HiFi , what at least keeps me with Spotify is the wide range of their library and their algorithms have really allowed me to discover a wide gamut of music.
Have tried Apple Music that has a large library but Spotify still beats them by quite a lot with their Algorithms.
I switched to Apple music for their algo. Spotify gave me sooo much weird stuff. Like, old songs from Serbia or a chapter of War and Peace, some African, latino songs. Like stuff, that I NEVER listen to and got nothing to do with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back