Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 21, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #57,691 of 63,227
I recently read in The Verge's review of QC Ultra buds that:-

Some owners are convinced that Bose has all but abandoned that plan with such a rapid jump to the QC Ultra Earbuds. They’re worried about being left in the lurch despite spending a premium on last year’s buds, and I can understand the frustration. But Bose spokesperson Joanne Berthiaume says the promised features are still coming eventually. “On QCE II, we have been delayed in bringing the Snapdragon update to that product, but we still have plans to roll it out via a software update later this year,” she told me by email. “We prioritized launching it in our latest earbuds/ headphones first.”

Again not 100% but at least they "have plans" 🙂.

https://www.theverge.com/23883649/bose-quietcomfort-ultra-earbuds-review
thanks for digging that up (and for Verge to actually follow up on that).
Watched the Cnet review of the Ultra Buds last night and that reviewer seemed to have trouble to use any of the new codecs on 2 out of 3 snapdragon phones .. so, even there it appears Bose still has a lot of figure out.

Since I am an iPhone boy, in the then, AAC does me ok enough :)

Will probably get the Ultra in a few months when they start popping up used for cheaper :D

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #57,692 of 63,227
The higher end codecs all have issues as they all push the bandwidth limitations of BT. But it also is a challenge each TWS maker has to deal with as well as the phone manufacturers as well.

The problem is without clear hardened standards that are followed by both phone and headphone manufacturer it will always be a crap shoot regarding who is to blame...
thanks for digging that up (and for Verge to actually follow up on that).
Watched the Cnet review of the Ultra Buds last night and that reviewer seemed to have trouble to use any of the new codecs on 2 out of 3 snapdragon phones .. so, even there it appears Bose still has a lot of figure out.

Since I am an iPhone boy, in the then, AAC does me ok enough :)

Will probably get the Ultra in a few months when they start popping up used for cheaper :D

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #57,694 of 63,227
The higher end codecs all have issues as they all push the bandwidth limitations of BT. But it also is a challenge each TWS maker has to deal with as well as the phone manufacturers as well.

The problem is without clear hardened standards that are followed by both phone and headphone manufacturer it will always be a crap shoot regarding who is to blame...

Lossless streaming sounds like a Bluetooth SIG issue to solve Not one IEM or phone manufacturer.

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #57,695 of 63,227
I know you TWS guys get asked this all the time, but what are some of the best sounding (and stable) tws on AliExpress? I’m trying to get some Xmas gifts and I thought I’d throw in a pair of TWS for myself! Haha
If the have the money, than I can highly recommend the huawei freebuds pro 2. These perform like TOTL TWS in my opinion. Good fit, good audio, good mics, decent anc. The only thing which was bad for me was touch controls didn't work great.

If you budget is lower, than I am sure there are a bunch of options. Check out Scarbir.com.

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #57,696 of 63,227
+1 - I have never had the EX to fall out - even while running - and the sound is excellent...
Agree...I find they stay really well with the correct size tips

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #57,697 of 63,227
Just found this customer review on e-earphone (google translated from Japanese) ... this guy is not happy at all with the connection quality .. it appears he is trying the AptX connection. What he describes are exactly the kind of issues I have been having with my QC 2 buds recently .. especially the total disconnect from phone for no apparent reason and after a minute and half it auto-reconnects .. annoying as heck. Yet, they are still my fav buds ...

Bultra.jpg

Oct 22, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #57,699 of 63,227
My Gemini 2 refuse to charge past 90 percent. Anyone experiencing the same.
Saw someone saying something similar, but believe it was 80% and only a reset or so solved it.

Oct 22, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #57,700 of 63,227
Thanks for the replies for running TW earphones. I did actually pick up a paid of Shokz Openrun Pro's as I liked the concept and they appear to be very popular. However, the sound is really appalling, low volume and zero bass. It is the sort of sound I would expect from £15 earphones not a £160 product. I guess if you are someone who just wants some sort of barely audible music whilst you run, and also to be able to hear what is going on around you then I imagine there is a place for these. I did not have high expectations but these are even some way below that. At least I tried, back to the drawing board I guess.

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #57,701 of 63,227
Please can someone recommend some TWS earphones for running outdoors? They would need to have good sound quality, bass, be comfortable and waterproof. Budgetwise, am just happy to pay the money for the right set.
I might be an outlier here but I've been really enjoying the JBL Reflect Aero for my long runs. It's IP68 so handles extreme sweat really well and frequent updates have improved the overall SQ. Checkout my previous write up on it here.

Oct 22, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #57,702 of 63,227
I might be an outlier here but I've been really enjoying the JBL Reflect Aero for my long runs. It's IP68 so handles extreme sweat really well and frequent updates have improved the overall SQ. Checkout my previous write up on it here.
Thanks, I might give these a go.

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #57,703 of 63,227
JBL makes good solid products. They also have access to AKG, through the Harman group; backed by Samsungs deep pockets 👍

Oct 22, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #57,704 of 63,227
I might be an outlier here but I've been really enjoying the JBL Reflect Aero for my long runs. It's IP68 so handles extreme sweat really well and frequent updates have improved the overall SQ. Checkout my previous write up on it here
It seems to me $150 is quite high for these given the substandard ANC. You mention them selling for under $100 in your review so I guess that should be the target price.

Oct 22, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #57,705 of 63,227
So I’ve been searching this thread and am having a hard time finding good comparisons to the Mystique and Svanar. I currently have the Mystiques, but am curious about the Svanar LE, since it is only $300. I use my iPhone primarily, so LDAC isn’t needed, and as much as I’ve said in the past that I don’t need ANC, windy walks this time of year is saying otherwise.

How do the tunings compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back