Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 5, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #54,016 of 62,243
Hi there, is the stability issues occurring in LDAC mode?
Due to the complexity of the electromagnetic environment, the default LDAC high-resolution Bluetooth connection format may freeze or disconnect due to insufficient bandwidth. If this occurs, you can enter Settings on your device and manually set the Bluetooth LDAC bandwidth to Balanced (660kbps) then it will be improved.
Snapdragon Sound certified phones have the sufficient bandwidth for LDAC. Going to 660 in developer modes would stabilize it for a bit but also had to drop the bitrate from 32 bit to 24bit. Might I add my phone would for some reason automatically max out to 990/96khz 32bit just when connecting each time. To me it is not convenient to keep going to developer settings each time I connect the Svanar to my phone. The main issues I kept having with them where dropouts just on the right earpiece. Had maybe a few occasions where the right earpiece would completely disconnect and had to reset them. Tried a few troubleshoots from resetting them. Also disabling HD Audio for a bit then enabling it again would stabilize it for a bit until the issues persisted again. The Svanar are good on SBC and AAC with no issues. Just on LDAC where I had the issues. Would have been nice if Bluetooth 5.3 instead of 5.2 was on board and maybe an app to potentially make the connection better. I don't experience these issues on my other LDAC TWS unlike the Svanar Wireless

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #54,017 of 62,243
Why is there generally so little talk of wind noise reduction ability? Do people not wear their TWS outside? :) I do quite a lot of walking while listening to either podcasts or music and find bad wind handling (that goes for both my APP2 and MTW2) an irritant. So going forward (literally) for me this is an important feature. I think (?) XM4 has a very efficient wind reduction mode so will be waiting for the XM5.
Wind is a huge problem where Iive. The MTW3 actually has a wind function that works quite well, a bit better than XM4 in my experience.

The AZ80 does not have a wind setting in its app but does a decent job with wind as well.

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #54,018 of 62,243
Bose QCII (earbuds) work pretty well last night on a walk with wind in the trees and traffic (unlike all other buds where it sounds worse) but I hear my footsteps like my teeth are chattering nearly every step I take, and stem type earbuds seem worse for this in my use (i assume it is due to the stems touching your face.

Jul 5, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #54,019 of 62,243
Bose QCII (earbuds) work pretty well last night on a walk with wind in the trees and traffic (unlike all other buds where it sounds worse) but I hear my footsteps like my teeth are chattering nearly every step I take, and stem type earbuds seem worse for this in my use (i assume it is due to the stems touching your face.

It may not necessarily be due to the stems. You can test this assumption by swapping left and right earpiece and wearing both with stems upwards.

The other possibility is an occlusion effect, i.e. body-generated sounds like chewing or footsteps being amplified inside the sealed ear canal. Bose's hybrid noise cancelling might misinterpret these sounds picked up by the inside mic of their TWS as part of the signal and fail to filter it out. In that case, switching to other tips (particularly foam) may help to mitigate the occlusion effect.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #54,020 of 62,243
Got the Baseus M2s which, according to the manufacturer, offer up to -48dB ANC and BISA spatial audio as their main selling points for ~$50. Since the Baseus E9 and Storm 3, that I bought last year, have both been solid performers, I had pretty high expectations for the M2s.

S8bc8f9a5af9341b5a59d3ec2919bf674w.jpg

ANC really is *the* strong point with these and the best out of all budget TWS I've tried so far. There are useful profiles for commuting or wind-noise cancelling when you're outside, and they all work surprisingly well. However, the ANC profiles need to be switched manually, since there's no automatic mode.

As for sound signature and quality, these are veritable bass cannons, and the amount of bass they're able to pump out in a fairly well controlled manner is impressive. Of course there are some EQ settings in the app that make them a bit more neutral, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd say these are meant to be fun phones and if I wanted more accurate sound, I'd rather opt for something else.

Now for the underwhelming part: their other selling point, namely BISA spatial audio, is meant to function like Dirac Virtuo, but isn't half as effective to my ears. What's more, enabling BISA disables all EQ settings, whereas I can combine Dirac Virtuo with any EQ I want. All in all, BISA is hardly more than a gimmick imo.

Bottom line, these are a bit half-baked overall, but may still be a good choice for bassheads who're looking for a cheap TWS with strong ANC.
I just got these as well. They are miles better than my previous experience with Baseus, and quite good bang for buck. Agree on the ANC and the BISA spatial.

Here's the measurements if anyone is interested. Fairly similar to the HT07 from QCY.

graph (1).png

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #54,021 of 62,243
This might not be a brand that will immediately pop into most people's heads but the soundpeats H1 are incredibly sturdy and have relatively robust Bluetooth connectivity. They support Apt X (game mode and HD), and are Bluetooth 5.2. I've dropped these from the third floor and have no noticed any audible damage (and many cases of falling on hard concrete). They're IP X rated, and can withstand some splashes.

As for sound quality, if you don't mind EQing them they have a hybrid configuration (1 BA and 1 DD) and can be reasonably detailed. They're around £65, so more budget friendly for wireless hybrid. They're quite bass heavy in their stock sound signature (more mainstream dirty bass quality). One caveat is that they do not have ANC if that matters, though I've found passive noise isolation more than acceptable. They're more for outdoor everyday use if you want a rugged wireless iem experience.

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #54,022 of 62,243
I bought the Bose QCII for the ANC, and they are the best and friendliest pair that I own in that regard. They are basically the only pair I use when I'm out and don't want to hear my surroundings. I think the sound is surprisingly good, enjoyable, and more than adequate for my use. Are they the best sounding pair I own? No. But at this point, I don't use almost all of my other TWSs. If I want critical listening, I'll listen on my speaker system, or with one of my wired IEMs and a DAP.

Edit: I don't even use one of my many Bluetooth adapters with IEMs. It's just not worth the hassle to me of plugging and unplugging the cables. Maybe one day I'll change my usual mode of listening when true lossless Bluetooth is more ubiquitous.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #54,026 of 62,243
Why is there generally so little talk of wind noise reduction ability? Do people not wear their TWS outside? :) I do quite a lot of walking while listening to either podcasts or music and find bad wind handling (that goes for both my APP2 and MTW2) an irritant. So going forward (literally) for me this is an important feature. I think (?) XM4 has a very efficient wind reduction mode so will be waiting for the XM5.
The ZE8000 has the best wind reduction I've heard. Most tws I've used though don't experience any wind issues.

Jul 5, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #54,027 of 62,243
Thought I would check back in on this thread as I sometimes do and straight away I read about the Hifiman Svanar which look to be very interesting. I have been using the Noble Mystique for the last couple of months and I rate them highly, certainly the best TWS I have heard to date with a full, exciting V shaped sound thats very addictive particularly as I enjoy bass driven music. Was not intending to purchase anything for a while but the Svanar does appeal I have to say.

Jul 5, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #54,029 of 62,243
Jul 5, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #54,030 of 62,243
Further questions on getting higher quality sound using an iPhone and tws: I stream all my music (Tidal) from my phone to my Fokus Mystiques. Doesn't sound bad, but not nearly as good as my previous higher end wired iem's. Is there either a dongle I can attach to my iPhone, or a stand alone bluetooth streaming device that I can get that will improve on my listening experience?
That was my exact same setup, and while I don’t have high end wired iems to compare there are two things that come to mind. Have you EQ’d the Mystiques at all? By applying a W-shaped eq I found the clarity and soundstage to be substantially improved, out of the box they sound dark and muffled to me.

The other thing is a bit odd, after switching to Qobuz from Tidal I found Qobuz to sound noticeably better, despite using the exact same source (16-bit “CD quality” stored locally of the same albums). No idea why this is, but perhaps try a different app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back