Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 18, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #53,596 of 62,311
SpinFit have a set of those, outer flange is black and inner flange is clear so not sure if that is what you have but even the wings were too small for me.

The battery life was little too short and ANC/AMB a waste of time, but I bought them for the SQ.

Jun 18, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #53,597 of 62,311
SpinFit have a set of those, outer flange is black and inner flange is clear so not sure if that is what you have but even the wings were too small for me.

The battery life was little too short and ANC/AMB a waste of time, but I bought them for the SQ.
The black spinfits were too big for me (made the ear pieces stick out too far). Also, they have a very narrow bore (which can be fixed through EQ). Lastly, they didn't fit the case well.

IMG_6949 copy.jpg

As you can see, the tip on the left is a lot shallower, for an easy case fit.

IMG_6950 copy.jpg

The right tip bore is closer to the OG Senns tips, which made EQ adjustments easier for me.

I should also note that the right hand tip has a softer (thinner) material, making it more comfortable for longer listening sessions.

As stated earlier, no idea where I got these, but I'm pretty sure they were a big brand or expensive (likely off Amazon).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #53,598 of 62,311
As you may see from my location… was just on a 787 and 777 on Friday with both QC2 and App2. I’ve taken quite a few flights with both and there’s not much between them for ANC, sometimes the APP2 is better and sometimes the QC2. The latest Bose update has taken most of the instability out of the ANC too, which has been a nice improvement.

I prefer the Bose transparency on the plane because it appears to suppress loud sounds better, however, iOS 17 is supposed to fix that in the APP2.

I sometimes prefer the Bose for music on a plane but not at all on the ground. You’ll always find me with APP2 around the airport. In the air, the Bose hiss fades into airplane noise and the more bass biased sound is more suited to a plane.

The battery life is nearly 7 hours for me at just under mid volume with the Bose. Nearer 5 hours on the APP2… and the case drain of the APP2 means that it is rarely 100% unlike the Bose. I’m often on 12-15 hour flights, sometimes 24 door-to-door so I carry both…

After lots of testing I’ve stopped carrying my AirPods Max because the APP2 has better higher frequency cancelling and are smaller. The AirPods Max was my previous ANC champ for the ‘plane with respect to my many, many other attempts.

OTOH, if you’re on a 777 behind the wing, neither the APP2 or QC2 are good enough… but leaps ahead of lots of over-ears. We still have quite a way to go from ANC on planes and particularly subway/London’s Underground system.

Oh and don’t bother with the QC2 for Zoom etc at the airport as they don’t work well with typical airport background noise.

I’d say if you are on the plane with an APP2 then overall you have the best for flights in an Apple ecosystem.
Bose QuietComfort 20...wired iem (with fins), 14h battery life with anc on, and the anc is excellent for plane noises.
Very comfortable, can't get lost (wired), easy to use with in-flight entertainment systems (plug in using adapter), sound is pretty decent (dongle dac) and more comfortable to sleep in (especially if you sleep laying on your side).

They are out of production but still available as new old stock.

Jun 18, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #53,599 of 62,311
Been busy with other things for awhile, but have been lurking a bit still.

I will say that my top 3 for sound right now is (somewhat) strangely: Status Audio Between 3ANC, Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 and Final Audio ZE8000, with the Fokus Mystiques trailing just behind those.

The thing I noticed with the Status Between is that they need some HEAVY EQ:ing to sound great because none of the stock EQ settings that you can select sound good in my opinion. So basically good earbuds technically speaking, but bad tuning (imo). Then we have the battery life that is just insane to me. Probably the first earbuds where I actually have a hard time running them down to 0%, don't think that's happened yet.
I had been EQ:ing them with Wavelet when I just incidentally also tried an EQ in Poweramp EQ as well that really just made them sound very hi-fi and extremely balanced. I had been unsure as to whether I would want to use them as my daily driver, but when I heard them with that EQ setting combined with the battery life and decent ANC, yeah i'm sold. I love the design of the buds as well, even though I can probably feel like other people would think they look goofy in my ears. But they feel very sci-fi yet clean which I like.
The ANC is surprisingly good as well, even if they can't play in the same division with the likes of the Bose QCII's etc.
The worst thing about them is the fact that... honestly, they smell really bad LMAO. :D And no, not because of my ears, even before using them for the first time that case and those earbuds smell really damn bad, and it doesn't seem to want to go away anytime soon lol.

The Freebuds Pro 2 are also not the best when it comes to stock tuning either but they have the potential to sound so damn crisp and clear with proper EQ:ing, and I love the pocketability of the case, I love the color (i have that metallic blue color) and they're probably the most comfortable earbuds I've used, but the battery life is slightly disappointing to me. ANC is sort of the same story as with the Between 3ANC, surprisingly good but not mindblowing.

Final Audio ZE8000 I also love, but for some reason they've been shelved a bit since I got the Freebuds Pro 2, which I didn't expect at all. But I love how they sound so natural and relaxed and make the music come to life, you can really FEEL the music with those. But when I go from them to something like the Freebuds Pro 2, I feel like I was missing a little bit of clarity on the ZE8000's, not to mention the mediocre battery life, the huge case, and the wonky appearance and fit of the earbuds. I think if they make a refined iteration of these I think they could be bonkers' good, really.

I will say something, the Fokus Mystiques are... mysterious to me. I have a really hard time getting them to sound more than just "good", even on AptX Adaptive. I've used them on several different phones and I always get that weird cutout where the sound turns to mono for awhile, and it seems as though they have extremely poor connection quality because they start sounding choppy and turn to mono as soon as i'm a few feet away from my phone even in my apartment. I might have gotten a lemon though, I'm not sure. They don't sound bad however, which I would clearly expect if they were in fact "broken". But even when EQ:ing them like crazy I feel as though they sound unresolving, like there's a low bitrate "haze" around the upper mids that I would expect from something only using SBC. But even Between 3ANC's sound great with just AAC and SBC and I don't feel like they have the same unresolving sound despite that.
Combine that with no ANC, a charging case that instantly had some paint chipped away from it without me ever dropping it, and me paying like $500+ to import them here with the customs fees and so on, I just can't call them worth it to me at all.
They are good though, clearly. I just don't feel like I understand the hype from everyone else.

I'm looking forward to hopefully trying the Svanar as soon as it becomes widely available, not sure if you can order it yet though!

Jun 18, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #53,600 of 62,311

I will say that my top 3 for sound right now is (somewhat) strangely: Status Audio Between 3ANC, Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 and Final Audio ZE8000, with the Fokus Mystiques trailing just behind those.

The thing I noticed with the Status Between is that they need some HEAVY EQ:ing to sound great because none of the stock EQ settings that you can select sound good in my opinion. So basically good earbuds technically speaking, but bad tuning (imo). Then we have the battery life that is just insane to me. Probably the first earbuds where I actually have a hard time running them down to 0%, don't think that's happened yet.
I had been EQ:ing them with Wavelet when I just incidentally also tried an EQ in Poweramp EQ as well that really just made them sound very hi-fi and extremely balanced. I had been unsure as to whether I would want to use them as my daily driver, but when I heard them with that EQ setting combined with the battery life and decent ANC, yeah i'm sold. I love the design of the buds as well, even though I can probably feel like other people would think they look goofy in my ears. But they feel very sci-fi yet clean which I like.
The ANC is surprisingly good as well, even if they can't play in the same division with the likes of the Bose QCII's etc.
The worst thing about them is the fact that... honestly, they smell really bad LMAO. :D And no, not because of my ears, even before using them for the first time that case and those earbuds smell really damn bad, and it doesn't seem to want to go away anytime soon lol.

The Freebuds Pro 2 are also not the best when it comes to stock tuning either but they have the potential to sound so damn crisp and clear with proper EQ:ing, and I love the pocketability of the case, I love the color (i have that metallic blue color) and they're probably the most comfortable earbuds I've used, but the battery life is slightly disappointing to me. ANC is sort of the same story as with the Between 3ANC, surprisingly good but not mindblowing.

Final Audio ZE8000 I also love, but for some reason they've been shelved a bit since I got the Freebuds Pro 2, which I didn't expect at all. But I love how they sound so natural and relaxed and make the music come to life, you can really FEEL the music with those. But when I go from them to something like the Freebuds Pro 2, I feel like I was missing a little bit of clarity on the ZE8000's, not to mention the mediocre battery life, the huge case, and the wonky appearance and fit of the earbuds. I think if they make a refined iteration of these I think they could be bonkers' good, really.

I will say something, the Fokus Mystiques are... mysterious to me. I have a really hard time getting them to sound more than just "good", even on AptX Adaptive. I've used them on several different phones and I always get that weird cutout where the sound turns to mono for awhile, and it seems as though they have extremely poor connection quality because they start sounding choppy and turn to mono as soon as i'm a few feet away from my phone even in my apartment. I might have gotten a lemon though, I'm not sure. They don't sound bad however, which I would clearly expect if they were in fact "broken". But even when EQ:ing them like crazy I feel as though they sound unresolving, like there's a low bitrate "haze" around the upper mids that I would expect from something only using SBC. But even Between 3ANC's sound great with just AAC and SBC and I don't feel like they have the same unresolving sound despite that.
Combine that with no ANC, a charging case that instantly had some paint chipped away from it without me ever dropping it, and me paying like $500+ to import them here with the customs fees and so on, I just can't call them worth it to me at all.
They are good though, clearly. I just don't feel like I understand the hype from everyone else.

I'm looking forward to hopefully trying the Svanar as soon as it becomes widely available, not sure if you can order it yet though!
Would you share your preferred EQ settings for 3ANC?

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #53,601 of 62,311
Bose QuietComfort 20...wired iem (with fins), 14h battery life with anc on, and the anc is excellent for plane noises.
Very comfortable, can't get lost (wired), easy to use with in-flight entertainment systems (plug in using adapter), sound is pretty decent (dongle dac) and more comfortable to sleep in (especially if you sleep laying on your side).

They are out of production but still available as new old stock.
They were excellent at the time… even if I hated the box, the wires always got tangled and after a while it starting buzzing (some grounding issue). They were good on calls too.

But the QC2/APP2 ANC is way better than the Bose 700 ANC which was significantly better than the QC20 ANC. Time moves on…

The lack of a plug into the ‘plane entertainment system continues to be bothersome for TWS on a plane though some new planes have Bluetooth built in.

Jun 18, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #53,602 of 62,311
They were excellent at the time… even if I hated the box, the wires always got tangled and after a while it starting buzzing (some grounding issue). They were good on calls too.

But the QC2/APP2 ANC is way better than the Bose 700 ANC which was significantly better than the QC20 ANC. Time moves on…

The lack of a plug into the ‘plane entertainment system continues to be bothersome for TWS on a plane though some new planes have Bluetooth built in.
B&W PI7 can do what you describe here i.e. connect to flight entertainment; I've never tried it thought

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb/product/headphones/pi7-s2

"Wireless audio retransmission technology

A transformative Smartcase that also functions as an audio retransmission system, connecting directly to external audio sources such as in-flight entertainment systems."

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #53,603 of 62,311
Agreed! They are TERRIBLE, truly nothing about them is special or anything worth noting.

Horrible ANC that pops and gets in the way of music whenever you go over the slightest bump, default EQ sounds super mushy and bloated with ear-piercing gain in the high frequencies... This made me just wary of Soundcore in general, and I cant take anyone seriously that puts them above other earbuds, yes there are reviewers out there who say they sound BETTER than even the Samsung buds 2 pro. Shocking really.

I used Liberty 2 for a while and it was easy to equalize them to sound acceptable. Same iOS app but it has a different screen for 2 vs 4.

Surprisingly a lot of YouTubers rate them very high. Either paid or they don’t want to upset Soundcore. But this is a tell who you cannot trust on YouTube. Liberty 4 is an absolute mess.

Jun 18, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #53,604 of 62,311
B&W PI7 can do what you describe here i.e. connect to flight entertainment; I've never tried it thought

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb/product/headphones/pi7-s2

"Wireless audio retransmission technology

A transformative Smartcase that also functions as an audio retransmission system, connecting directly to external audio sources such as in-flight entertainment systems."
And it is a great idea… pity the PI7s have poor ANC and are quite expensive. Alternately you can get a cheap Bluetooth dongle that does this too…

Jun 18, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #53,606 of 62,311

The LG Tone DFP9 and DT90Q seem to offer the same feature as the Bowers PI7.
Never heard them, don't own them, etc. but read about the feature.
I've seen the DFP9 for around 99 USD...

Jun 18, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #53,607 of 62,311
Soundcore Liberty 4 -- avoid at costs. Absolute garbage. This is coming from a person who used Liberty 2 for a long time.
Samsung Galaxy Bud Pro 2 - avoid if you are an iphone user. No IOS app. Sounds good, but some tracks are a bit off. Now there are better alternatives.
Wow, that doesn't make sense, unless Apples update broke their app.. Why would Anker isolate a billion potential customers?

Jun 18, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #53,608 of 62,311
And it is a great idea… pity the PI7s have poor ANC and are quite expensive. Alternately you can get a cheap Bluetooth dongle that does this too…
These are older now, and I think LG has another model that does this that is newer, but these were surprisingly good at the time when I reviewed them, and they also have the case that can connect via usb to 3.5 MM and get audio from a non bt device.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Tone-Free-FP9-Cancelling/dp/B098V1GRL3?th=1
Edit: Reading on this next page I now see that @smuh also mentioned this. Hadn't read past the post I replied to when I posted this.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #53,609 of 62,311

Have the Huawei FB2P , I have it paired with a Huawei phone and get the full complement of the Devialet tuning which sounds good for me when compared with the Samsung B2P. The ANC sadly is impacted by the tips, I cannot get good seal. What tips are you using. Do love the volume slide motion. ZE8000 when I just at home listening to music, they are my go to

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #53,610 of 62,311
As you may see from my location… was just on a 787 and 777 on Friday with both QC2 and App2. I’ve taken quite a few flights with both and there’s not much between them for ANC, sometimes the APP2 is better and sometimes the QC2. The latest Bose update has taken most of the instability out of the ANC too, which has been a nice improvement.

I prefer the Bose transparency on the plane because it appears to suppress loud sounds better, however, iOS 17 is supposed to fix that in the APP2.

I sometimes prefer the Bose for music on a plane but not at all on the ground. You’ll always find me with APP2 around the airport. In the air, the Bose hiss fades into airplane noise and the more bass biased sound is more suited to a plane.

The battery life is nearly 7 hours for me at just under mid volume with the Bose. Nearer 5 hours on the APP2… and the case drain of the APP2 means that it is rarely 100% unlike the Bose. I’m often on 12-15 hour flights, sometimes 24 door-to-door so I carry both…

After lots of testing I’ve stopped carrying my AirPods Max because the APP2 has better higher frequency cancelling and are smaller. The AirPods Max was my previous ANC champ for the ‘plane with respect to my many, many other attempts.

OTOH, if you’re on a 777 behind the wing, neither the APP2 or QC2 are good enough… but leaps ahead of lots of over-ears. We still have quite a way to go from ANC on planes and particularly subway/London’s Underground system.

Oh and don’t bother with the QC2 for Zoom etc at the airport as they don’t work well with typical airport background noise.

I’d say if you are on the plane with an APP2 then overall you have the best for flights in an Apple ecosystem.
Just landed and was able to test: MTW3, AZ80, PIS7-2 and Bose QC2. Was sitting aisle but ahead of turbine. After trying with music and podcasts , found the MTW3 to performed the best with ANC ON and Off. The passive seal was the best. The AZ and PI were tied for 2nd but the Bose could have improved with a different set of tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back