Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 5, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #49,186 of 62,751
I can disagree with “IEM haven’t changed at all” part.

Have you tried any Planar, Sonion EST, quadbrid bone conduction driver ones? It never existed on earth a decade ago.

Agree with “sound per dollar” part though. It’s a good trend, now we don’t need to pat few grants for great sound.
I own planar (Audeze) and Electrostatic (Stax) over ears. Never heard them (drivers) in such a small form factor.
Would like to someday👍
My Shure, UE's and several other IEM's still sound pretty good. Last purchased were the UE, around 12 years back.
They were around $400.

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #49,187 of 62,751
Well, I'm a Test Engineer. If you can't see the advances in codex, chipsets, battery longevity, miniaturization, noise cancellation and onboard controls, then I'm surprised.
IEM's haven't really changed at all. Maybe improvements in sound per dollar, but that's more to do with manufacturing in China...
Well, there is no advancement on ground. Only on paper and more on advertisements only. Even longer battery has some life. Noise cancellation etc. are there on wired ones too. It's scam only my friend.

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #49,188 of 62,751
No Wireless Earbuds can match even 25% of Sound Quality and Reliability of Wired Earphones and absolutely 0.1% match in terms of connectivity and performance. No matter how good Wireless bud is, unless you keep charging it, it won't last for even 1 full day. That's not the issue with Wired ones.

I really don't use in-ear type earphones at all. And strict no-no to Bluetooth. If the earbuds I ordered are not free (or from my points), then I would still be searching for cheaper ones. My kid was also not keen to buy the phone we bought but there was no option so we had to buy that. That's what I have been saying that these companies forcing people to buy their crap phones and crap so called wireless earbuds.
You're entitled to your opinion, but do keep in mind, this thread is about TWS improvements, reviews, trends and finds.

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #49,189 of 62,751
I mean if you try the 4.2 Bluetooth vs the 5.2 version, you will see a huge differences in sound quality, phone call, etc.
I don't see much difference. It's all to sell newer version only. 5.0, then 5.1 and then 5.2 and now 5.3 etc. And if someone does not want to change, these companies will release some phone upgrade which will cause lots of trouble in your 5.0 or 5.2 earbuds and you will be forced to buy 5.3 or 5.5 in future.
Or sony xm3 vs xm4, you will see the improvements on ANC level. And changes and new things cost more money than the old things should be obvious here. Also new codecs cost money too
Second, no one force you to upgrade your earbuds really, your money your choice. You are correct about the phone situation especially iphone.
We are being forced. That's what I am trying to say. I am using Samsung S10+. It may be fine for another 2 years in stretch. But after that? I don't see any real upgrade in phone which have headphone jack and nice screen and long battery too. They are giving headphone jack in mediocre phone with some 480 or 680 processor or much slower than SD 855. Crap display, and not even convenient to hold in hand.

It's not ony with iPhone, with Android too. I don't use iPhone.
Third, the wired may sound better for the money but they are too inconvenient. I used to change wired iem every week and it cost like 70-80 per time. So yeah, tws for the win here
Fourth, you can actually buy tws with good specs for under 100 nowadays, so why complained about it really?
I don't use in-ear earphones. And there is no USB C Flat head earphones with good quality sound. In fact there is hardly any. Also, I cannot even charge my phone and listen to the music at the same time with them. And there is no bluetooth earbuds with flat head (like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32417311324.html)

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #49,190 of 62,751
I don't see much difference. It's all to sell newer version only. 5.0, then 5.1 and then 5.2 and now 5.3 etc. And if someone does not want to change, these companies will release some phone upgrade which will cause lots of trouble in your 5.0 or 5.2 earbuds and you will be forced to buy 5.3 or 5.5 in future.

We are being forced. That's what I am trying to say. I am using Samsung S10+. It may be fine for another 2 years in stretch. But after that? I don't see any real upgrade in phone which have headphone jack and nice screen and long battery too. They are giving headphone jack in mediocre phone with some 480 or 680 processor or much slower than SD 855. Crap display, and not even convenient to hold in hand.

It's not ony with iPhone, with Android too. I don't use iPhone.

I don't use in-ear earphones. And there is no USB C Flat head earphones with good quality sound. In fact there is hardly any. Also, I cannot even charge my phone and listen to the music at the same time with them. And there is no bluetooth earbuds with flat head (like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32417311324.html)
Rog phone, sony phones and many more keep the headphone jack if you don't know ( they are flagship phones btw 8 gen 1 and 888+)
So you like the old airpod kind of guy? Soundcore, marshall, taotronics and many more will at your service
You know phone get old overtime right? Battery will wear out and stuff so changes is obvious

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #49,191 of 62,751
I own planar (Audeze) and Electrostatic (Stax) over ears. Never heard them (drivers) in such a small form factor.
Would like to someday👍
My Shure, UE's and several other IEM's still sound pretty good. Last purchased were the UE, around 12 years back.
They were around $400.
It’s off topic, but I think your tonality preferences is like bright neutral? Letshouer’s S12 PRO is a new Planar IEM that you may find enjoyable👍 Nice to see old STAX user, I used to own SR007.

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #49,192 of 62,751
It’s off topic, but I think your tonality preferences is like bright neutral? Letshouer’s S12 PRO is a new Planar IEM that you may find enjoyable👍 Nice to see old STAX user, I used to own SR007.

I like the older S12 more than the S12 Pro because the S12 has more "bite" and a bit more raised on the treble than the Pro version, but for longer listening the S12 Pro might be more appealing.

I myself bought the Raptgo Hook X because i already have many bright sounding IEMs, so the fuller and bassier Hook X fits my collection better. Though to be fair, the S12 signature fits my taste the most out of all the new planars I've tried

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #49,193 of 62,751
I like the older S12 more than the S12 Pro because the S12 has more "bite" and a bit more raised on the treble than the Pro version, but for longer listening the S12 Pro might be more appealing.

I myself bought the Raptgo Hook X because i already have many bright sounding IEMs, so the fuller and bassier Hook X fits my collection better. Though to be fair, the S12 signature fits my taste the most out of all the new planars I've tried
Great info! thanks mate.

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #49,195 of 62,751
Good for you, because his rants keeps getting weirder and weirder as it goes

This thread (as well as the earbuds thread) is some of the more positively vibed and helpful thread that i followed, so when i noticed a couple of out of the ordinary responses, that made me curious =)
My curiosity was getting there too... until I saw your post lol.

On topic: still using the beans (buds live) and xm4.

Nothing else has made me pull the trigger on it (yet).

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #49,196 of 62,751
Audio Technical ATH-TWX9 is at Sweetwater...
Interesting…that sweetsater name reminds me of big nostalgia. I’ve ordered some instruments and AKG’s electrostatic microphones from them before. Didn’t know they sell IEM/TWS.

Dec 6, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #49,197 of 62,751
Audio Technical ATH-TWX9 is at Sweetwater...
Those do look sweet. Maybe if they find their way to Canada I will give them a try. Them or maybe the new JBL model coming out.

LOL NVM they are in Canada already! $379CAD, to rich for me but will watch them though...

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #49,199 of 62,751
Could someone tell me which Azla eartips fit and stay on the GB2P? Does the Azla Max fit and stay on?

Or which others are good to try?

Edit: I have had good luck with the cp360, however I need more tips, but I refuse to buy packs of Spinfits with two different sizes when I need only one size!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #49,200 of 62,751
The original SednaEarfit XELASTEC sticky ones stay on for some reason, some of my earbuds I owned/tested had small nozzles and as I swap tips between them, they may be slightly slacker than when new.

I have the whole Azla range apart from the new Max as do not like the partly blocked outlets as that will change the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back