Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 15, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #48,783 of 62,194
What are some features people seem to demand in TWS but you wouldn't pay extra for?

I wouldn't pay extra for
- Alexa/Siri/any voice command
- spatial audio
- ANC to some degree
Phone calls!
I actually would happily pay extra for TWS that are audio listening only / microphones only for ANC .. and NO chance that some random call could interrupt my music listening ...

AFAIK only the 1More comfobuds Z have that, as they are marketed as sleepbuds ...

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #48,785 of 62,194
Phone calls!
I actually would happily pay extra for TWS that are audio listening only / microphones only for ANC .. and NO chance that some random call could interrupt my music listening ...

Hmm... just pair any TWS for stereo audio only and uncheck the headset profile. Then mute your phone's ringtone and you're all set.

Nov 15, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #48,786 of 62,194
JVC released the pair of brothers as I call them at around the same time a while back about 6 months ago. The JVC is called the XC72T and the Kenwood is called the BIZ70T.
Sorry to harp on about this, just hard to get answers as there is little english written about these models.

Is that to say that these two are essentially the same product?

1668509335739.png

Kenwood BIZ70T

1668509384207.png

JVC XC72T

And by that token they are both amazing?

Nov 15, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #48,787 of 62,194
Sorry to harp on about this, just hard to get answers as there is little english written about these models.

Is that to say that these two are essentially the same product?

Kenwood BIZ70T

JVC XC72T

And by that token they are both amazing?
They are related with the driver and chip and similar equipment. Different housing, tuning, and other differences like the Kenwood has a button. They made a 7 series for each line. One is for the consumers and bass lovers with the XX and the Kenwood is going for a more worker's headset approach and of course has the cute BIZ name. Think of it as General Motors, where the JVC would be a Chevy Cruze SS and the Kenwood would be a Buick Verano. Same parent company and same platform but differentiated for different people.

They are solid. I said the Kenwood showed the improvement over the older ANC but that was not hard to beat. Good, solid, getting nice reviews but they are low $100-ish models and I am not sure there is a $100 model that is amazing in all of TWS unless your "amazing" is a lower bar :). These two won't be either. I did not feel the need to try either one though the Kenwood was a bit tempting to try out. They, JVC, are progressing and showing some of us that the FX150T should be something well worth a purchase if they do better. Better SQ over the FX100T that would be real good. If they give the ANC of the BIZ or hopefully even a bit better that would be good enough etc. It has been more about gauging the FX150T than the other two.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #48,788 of 62,194
The nura trues look so uncomfortable.
I doubt they are. The first generation/non-pros weren't uncomfortable at all during the shorter listening sessions i've tried with them. Less of the earbud goes into the ear than one might expect.

Nov 15, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #48,789 of 62,194
Baseus Storm 3

Baseus-Storm-3-ANC-TWS-Kopfh-rer-Bluetooth-5-2-Adaptive-Ger-uschunterdr-ckung-Drahtlose-Kopfh.jpg_640x640.jpg

In a nutshell, this is excellent half-inears hardware, but marred by crappy software. Problem is, you need the software to get the best out of the hardware.

These TWS earbuds have great build quality and a gorgeous finish. Probably the best looking half-inears I've seen so far. Plus, they're extremely comfy and have the potential to sound very good.

However, there are many issues. First of all, the stock sound is pretty far from what's possible, so you need the Baseus app to optimize it via 8-band EQ. Now, there is an ANC mode, which actually does very little in terms of noise reduction (considering these are non-sealing buds), but lowers the battery life from ~4 to 2.5 hours. However, the stock frequency response gets markedly changed by ANC, so you'll need one custom EQ for normal mode and another one for ANC.

So you edit your custom EQ by adjusting the sliders to your taste, only to find out that the app frequently modifies some bands by +/-1db during the save process. You'll need to write down your intended settings on a piece of paper, then re-check and re-edit to (after several iterations) end up with correctly saved EQ settings. It also doesn't help that the app's detection of the TWS is rather unstable, so it will disconnect from time to time and tell you that you can't change settings, when in reality your phone has a stable connection to the earbuds.

Anyway, after quite a tedious process, but motivated by the potentially great sound quality these buds are capable of, you'll end up with two optimized EQ settings for normal mode and ANC. It's then when you'll find out that, after recharging and taking it out of the case, the TWS remembers the last used EQ setting, but not the ANC mode (it always defaults to ANC on). So you'll have to manually make sure that ANC mode and EQ setting remain consistent.

If you've read so far, you'll legitimately ask yourself: why even bother? Well, because after all is said and done, these are really good looking, very comfortable and excellent sounding earbuds. Still, I can't recommend them to anyone with low frustration tolerance, unless Baseus get their crap together and provide an app that does their quality hardware justice.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #48,793 of 62,194
Fiio FW5 - anyone heard them yet?
Just came out so nobody would have them yet outside of reviewers which you probably can't even trust. They are not for those who want anything other than sound though. If you want ambient or ANC or multipoint or an app etc. you need to look elsewhere. Figure by the end of 2022 they would at least have a way to hear through and interact with your surroundings.

I would imagine they sound good. I doubt they will be up there with Jabra or Apple or Sony for call quality so they promise one thing. Figure they have to do it well. If they don't sound good then what is the point. :)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #48,794 of 62,194
Baseus Storm 3

Baseus-Storm-3-ANC-TWS-Kopfh-rer-Bluetooth-5-2-Adaptive-Ger-uschunterdr-ckung-Drahtlose-Kopfh.jpg_640x640.jpg

In a nutshell, this is excellent half-inears hardware, but marred by crappy software. Problem is, you need the software to get the best out of the hardware.

These TWS earbuds have great build quality and a gorgeous finish. Probably the best looking half-inears I've seen so far. Plus, they're extremely comfy and have the potential to sound very good.

However, there are many issues. First of all, the stock sound is pretty far from what's possible, so you need the Baseus app to optimize it via 8-band EQ. Now, there is an ANC mode, which actually does very little in terms of noise reduction (considering these are non-sealing buds), but lowers the battery life from ~4 to 2.5 hours. However, the stock frequency response gets markedly changed by ANC, so you'll need one custom EQ for normal mode and another one for ANC.

So you edit your custom EQ by adjusting the sliders to your taste, only to find out that the app frequently modifies some bands by +/-1db during the save process. You'll need to write down your intended settings on a piece of paper, then re-check and re-edit to (after several iterations) end up with correctly saved EQ settings. It also doesn't help that the app's detection of the TWS is rather unstable, so it will disconnect from time to time and tell you that you can't change settings, when in reality your phone has a stable connection to the earbuds.

Anyway, after quite a tedious process, but motivated by the potentially great sound quality these buds are capable of, you'll end up with two optimized EQ settings for normal mode and ANC. It's then when you'll find out that, that after recharging and taking it out of the case, the TWS remembers the last used EQ setting, but not the ANC mode (it always defaults to ANC on). So you'll have to manually make sure that ANC mode and EQ setting remain consistent.

If you've read so far, you'll legitimately ask yourself: why even bother? Well, because after all is said and done, these are really good looking, very comfortable and excellent sounding earbuds. Still, I can't recommend them to anyone with low frustration tolerance, unless Baseus get their crap together and provide an app that does their quality hardware justice.
Thx, @james444 for taking the time and effort to highlight half-in-ears. It's a format I prefer from time to time.

Nov 15, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #48,795 of 62,194
Thx, @james444 for taking the time and effort to highlight half-in-ears. It's a format I prefer from time to time.
But when is he gonna do the Cleer ARC. Sometimes I prefer a zero-in-ear format. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back