Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 8, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #44,266 of 62,436
It took me about 6 months and a switch to Android - but I don't dislike the Devialet Geminis anymore.
They are still not 100% able to perform and sound the way I would want them to, but to me the biggest issue with them is probably their limited in-app EQ?
There's nothing I can do in the app to make them sound good which was an issue when using iOS, but using Wavelet I can actually get them sounding pretty good.

What I still don't like is that even with EQ the mids just lack a bit of warmth and presence which affects vocals negatively, it sounds good but I know it could sound better.
The bass, while great for certain genres of electronic music, is also difficult to get any sort of natural sound to when it's more organic instrumentation, there's either a big "oomph" to it which kinda removes the character of the instrument, or if you EQ it down, the sound becomes the worst kind of flat and harsh to my ears.
I also feel like they're very sensitive to EQ in a way, changing the upper mids exposes the treble and makes them sound too sibilant and almost hurt my ears with just a small adjustment.

But with Wavelet they're definitely something like a 7/10 regarding sound, whereas before I thought they were a 5/10 and I could NOT understand why people were talking them up on here. I could see myself changing the EQ a little bit more and getting even better sound out of them too, so we'll see.
I sent the Gemini back for this reason. For me they just didn't have anything special to them. They were a nice enough sounding, however I had a few that were 3 times cheaper that could sound better....to me. When you spend $300 for tws you should expect top of the line across the board.

Apr 8, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #44,267 of 62,436
It took me about 6 months and a switch to Android - but I don't dislike the Devialet Geminis anymore.
They are still not 100% able to perform and sound the way I would want them to, but to me the biggest issue with them is probably their limited in-app EQ?
There's nothing I can do in the app to make them sound good which was an issue when using iOS, but using Wavelet I can actually get them sounding pretty good.

What I still don't like is that even with EQ the mids just lack a bit of warmth and presence which affects vocals negatively, it sounds good but I know it could sound better.
The bass, while great for certain genres of electronic music, is also difficult to get any sort of natural sound to when it's more organic instrumentation, there's either a big "oomph" to it which kinda removes the character of the instrument, or if you EQ it down, the sound becomes the worst kind of flat and harsh to my ears.
I also feel like they're very sensitive to EQ in a way, changing the upper mids exposes the treble and makes them sound too sibilant and almost hurt my ears with just a small adjustment.

But with Wavelet they're definitely something like a 7/10 regarding sound, whereas before I thought they were a 5/10 and I could NOT understand why people were talking them up on here. I could see myself changing the EQ a little bit more and getting even better sound out of them too, so we'll see.
Hey what tips are you using?

Apr 8, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #44,268 of 62,436
How is the imaging and 3D aspect of the IEM? I like the idea of the EQ adjustments at lower volumes.

Okay, now knowing it better I would say the Yamaha are accuracy over amount as far as 3D aspects. Headphones like and quality in the presentation. All is well separated and has air around it and smearing is very low and nearly no congestion. It does respond to what is before it as far as size though. I have a CCZ Emerald earphone which is quite big and holographic sounding and accentuates that. The Yamaha doesn't add in the same way but holds more to the files and device. It can push elements out nicely in the recording and some podcasts with distant elements have fooled me like a decent headphone can. Just not super big or 3D all the time for the size of the room. Quality of the spacing and imaging/placement but they are a bit more up front not putting you more rows backs. So, again natural staging with good quality and not the big airy all the time thing but throws out the elements to the corners when it is told to in the recording. I'll add that it does this more and/or better than other TWS. Some other TWS are not imaged as correctly in the first place and will throw the same elements in a song but not as far as the Yamaha does for distance in that throw. They don't have that big height in general but the Yamaha will project something as tall as anything so the "stretch" is very 3D when it does. They just aren't trying to be the big hall, farther away sound all the time.

I think it does well at the low volume adjustment thing so it keeps its stage instead of some that collapse when the highs and lows weaken at low volume. Good in that regard.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #44,269 of 62,436
Possibly. Not sure. Maybe my CX 400BT weren’t running the most recent FW as I don’t use them that often like I used to.

The new Sennheiser app is a hot mess with the CX 400BT. Very frustrating.
The old app was working as it should. Nothing fancy but toggling between devices was always flawless for me while with the new app half of the time it doesn’t recognize my phone or iPad.
Anyone else is having issues with the app? Also, what’s up with Sennheiser forcing you to sign up and register an account in order to use their new app?

Apr 8, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #44,270 of 62,436
Soundpeats H1, Moondrop Sparks, Sabbat E16
Have the H1, not a huge fan but they're decent.
The Moondrop Sparks has a disgustingly long delivery time from Amazon (they say between June 11-June 16 as estimated date of delivery) and the Sabbat E16 aren't available here. /:

Apr 8, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #44,271 of 62,436
The Moondrop Sparks has a disgustingly long delivery time from Amazon (they say between June 11-June 16 as estimated date of delivery) and the Sabbat E16 aren't available here. /:
Sparks sound is wonderful, but no volume controls. Also, the fit is just plan weird. Not very ergonomic. I wound up returning them. But your ears may be different :beerchug:

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #44,273 of 62,436
Need recommendations...

I've been on the lookout for a semi in-ear tws forever, like the airpods. (which I have, but still, we needs more, right?)

What I've purchased so far:
Fill cc
Soundpeats true air 2 and 3
Edifier something
Mifo 02
Sony linkbuds
Galaxy beans
Tribit something

What else is out there that sounds decent and has a good mic?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #44,274 of 62,436
Honestly man... You are looking under $100. Another set that sounds fantastic is the Lypertek Soundfree S20 which normally sells for around $50 here. Looking at your list you've covered most sets. I can't remember if you had Tanchjim Echo on your list or not. Also, now that I think of it. Edifier Neobuds Pro have been discounted here routinely around $99. A great set if the fit is right and you'd likely need better tips. The tips they give are absolutely awful. Sound is fantastic, ANC is fantastic, ldac and a great transparency mode, great app.... Can't really beat it. Truthfully though if the H1 aren't that great to you than my question would be.... What sound signature are you after? Not many sub $100 are that much better than the H1 when SQ is concerned so I'm wondering if the signature just isn't sitting well with you? You can also find the Galaxy Buds Pro on sale for around $100 from time to time. The Nuarl N6 Pro are around $100 as well. I'll try to think of more

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #44,276 of 62,436
Ya I felt the same as you about the volume controls... Hate that. Sound is nice though.

Picked​

Ya I felt the same as you about the volume controls... Hate that. Sound is nice though.
Picked up a pair of Sabbat E16 Wireless, open box off of ebay, looked like nothing was touched except the box the manual was in. Half the price.
So far they sound pretty good, haven't tried the mic yet to see how calls go.

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #44,277 of 62,436
anyone own both buds+ & buds2? how's the sound comparison?

im trying to finds tws to use at gym, after some searching i think buds+ fit the best for me but i heard the treble quite harsh & shouty? and some other said they both sound pretty similar...

or maybe any other recommendation at that price?

Apr 9, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #44,278 of 62,436
Need recommendations...

I've been on the lookout for a semi in-ear tws forever, like the airpods. (which I have, but still, we needs more, right?)

Fill cc
Edifier something
Mifo 02
Sony linkbuds
Galaxy beans
Tribit something

Convert some earbuds to mmcx and pair with utws5?

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #44,279 of 62,436
Need recommendations...

Fill cc
Edifier something
Mifo 02
Sony linkbuds
Galaxy beans
Tribit something

Oppo Enco Air 2 sound pretty amazing, except for a 8kHz spike that needs EQ. Good detail resolution, tight bass. Better than Fiil CC imo.
Also, these sound very good for the asking price: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B09M3MK1QG/?th=1 and don't need EQ. Easily the best semi in-ears in terms of sound quality for money that I've tried. Connection stability outside the house is a tad wonky though, due to short stems.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #44,280 of 62,436

Picked​

Picked up a pair of Sabbat E16 Wireless, open box off of ebay, looked like nothing was touched except the box the manual was in. Half the price.
So far they sound pretty good, haven't tried the mic yet to see how calls go.
The E16 need burned in... Or listened in. They absolutely get better with usage. At first I didn't like them at all. They were too bright with a metallic treble. After about a few days maybe they settled down and are so very dynamic. Sabbat did great on this set. It Def leans brighter than neutral with great kick in the bass but not bass heavy. Nice man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back