Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 26, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #44,056 of 62,385
I like sub-bass but more for ambient music than EDM. Mostly I listen to a lot of rock music, Jazz, and classical. I actually hit a point where I could not listen to Sony due to their dark sound and lack of excitement. So if these are the opposite of that they might be a good option for work place and at home when I can't focus on just my music.
Well, they aren't the opposite, but are just less so than normal house sound (bass is a bit less quantity, and treble is a bit less warm balancing the scale a bit better), and the in-app EQ adjusts the sound noticeably (without clipping or reducing volume).

Also keep in mind, this is on an android device. I have no idea how good/bad they are on an Apple device (speaking about the in-app EQ) because we all know how closed the system is when it comes to system EQs for Apple.

Mar 26, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #44,057 of 62,385
With Apple you can apply a bunch of EQ presets on Apple Music or on individual apps, however no manual EQ settings.

Here’s what you get on Apple Music via system settings:
14AFA4B9-C36F-439B-9914-12143E52ABB6.jpeg

Tidal gets nothing. Apple practically incentivizes you to use a DAC considering you can’t stream lossless without an external DAC.

Mar 26, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #44,058 of 62,385
With Apple you can apply a bunch of EQ presets on Apple Music or on individual apps, however no manual EQ settings.

Here’s what you get on Apple Music via system settings:
14AFA4B9-C36F-439B-9914-12143E52ABB6.jpeg

Tidal gets nothing. Apple practically incentivizes you to use a DAC considering you can’t stream lossless without an external DAC.
That is the system wide settings. I am talking about the in-app EQ settings in the linkbuds software (that would override system settings). It has been my experience that you can't do that in Apple eco-system unless you "jailbreak", unless something has changed since last I used iDevices. So, yes, you are stuck with those crappy pre-sets, and no custom ones.

Mar 26, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #44,059 of 62,385
So far the best sounding (out of the box) tws sets are
1. Beoplay eq (just not loud enough on some tracks) Note: They are not worth $400. $250-300 is about right.
2. akg n400 (tonally almost perfect but technically needs more resolution)
3. Status Between pro (no transparent or anc though but the loudest and passive nc is close to good anc).
4. galaxy buds pro (tonally perfect but need a little more sub bass and resolution).
>8. liberty 3 pro (not very good out of the box

After eq (getting them to match a target)
1. status between pro (easily on par with the best $200 iem sets) but needs a hell of lot of work to get them to match a target (need a 3rd party app)
2. beoplay eq (very close to top $200 iem sets)
3. akg n400
4. liberty 3 pro (biggest improvement out of all of them once performing hearing ID and then adjusting from there)
5. galaxy buds pro (tonally almost perfect only a slight sub bass shelf is added)

Yes I tried others (Sony = so so, Bose = ok, jabra = ok, Neobuds pro=so so, PI7 = horrible, beats = ok, etc.)

If you can live without anc and transparency mode then the best option is a top of the line $200 iem (timeless, yume midnight, kato, oh10, hana 2021, etc.) connected to a qudelix or a go blu. No eq is necessary and will have a much louder volume. Personally, this is my 1. option for music listening and 2. is probably the liberty 3 pro because it can connect to 2 phones that I have lol.

Mar 26, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #44,060 of 62,385
Since you have been on this thread for a while, you should know how picky I can be about IEMs/TWS, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they are at what they are targeted to be. It is a niche market for these, because everyone (except me) wants ANC or at the very least passive noise isolation. And battery life is less than the average of TWS nowadays, but from completely dead it only took about 30-40 minutes (didn't time it exactly) to charge to full in the case. Now, the case does take a long time to charge, so if you use these daily, you might have to throw the case on the charger nightly, but I do this with my phone anyhow.

With the proper fit and adjustment (these COMPLETELY rely on proper adjustment, or they sound like crap hence the mixed reviews on the sound) they are plenty loud to drown out all but the loudest sounds IMHO. And tapping pretty much anywhere on your jaw (it works best to tap your cheek where it is fleshy, the tighter the skin the less it will vibrate and the harder you have to tap) controls them, which is probably one of my favorite features aside from the sound quality.

This coming from someone who has NEVER liked any Sony IEMs or TWS to this point. Granted, I use the built-in EQ (Bright setting for more airy treble), the stock setting isn't as dark as their normal house sound IMO. Bass is plenty of quantity, but sub bass is severely lacking, so if you like EDM, or R&B, or Rap, these might not do it for you, though it isn't horrible on those either. But, with Jazz, Rock, etc... it has plenty; it relies on a boosted mid + upper bass to make up the lack of sub-bass.
I bought a few different TWS buds, and the one thing i found was as you say, a proper fit for the eartips is a must, for me it is. The large tips on some were fine but others not so much.
I invested in some XL spintfit tips, made quite a difference. They will replace the tips on some of my iem's too. EQ does not hurt either.

Mar 26, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #44,061 of 62,385
I bought a few different TWS buds, and the one thing i found was as you say, a proper fit for the eartips is a must, for me it is. The large tips on some were fine but others not so much.
I invested in some XL spintfit tips, made quite a difference. They will replace the tips on some of my iem's too. EQ does not hurt either.
The Linkbuds being a true earbud (flathead or classic earbuds), fit is even more paramount because they don't go in your ears at all.

But you are absolutely correct, and there should be a fitment guide in all earphones for those that aren't familiar with tip rolling, and give up on them if they don't sound right out of the box.

I have owned a very few IEMs/TWS that fit just right OOTB. Others I have had to use a size of tip that I would never have thought to fit. Other times I might use a tip that otherwise I didn't like with another set.

Mar 27, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #44,063 of 62,385
Mar 27, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #44,064 of 62,385
That is the system wide settings. I am talking about the in-app EQ settings in the linkbuds software (that would override system settings). It has been my experience that you can't do that in Apple eco-system unless you "jailbreak", unless something has changed since last I used iDevices. So, yes, you are stuck with those crappy pre-sets, and no custom ones.
In my experience with those TWS and wireless adapters (TW2) that have their own equalizer work together with iPhone. So long as they have an iOS app, the EQ settings have been available, eg Sony, AKG, Devialet.

Mar 27, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #44,066 of 62,385
So what do I mean by musicality? For me a big part of the musical experience is a sense of immersion into the music and this requires good spatial imaging that portrays music from coming all around me. I have not found any TWS capable of doing this to anything more than 50% of what a good IEM can accomplish. Next is seperation and room to breath again this is an area that all TWS struggle with being around 60% of what a good IEM can accomplish. Without this quality I find vocals lose their emotion and instruments don't have room convey their sound fully.
This. Why the LavaBeans with AT tips is my favorite TWS so far. Big, airy, love the separation and how it can be a bit holographic. Vocals show a good bit cause they really separate the vocalists. Guitar and bass lines stand out as do the back up vocals(maybe even a bit more than intended). Also the first I have heard that does really well against compression using only SBC.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #44,067 of 62,385
Anyone suspect the coming Sennheiser Momentum TWS 3 will be any good?

Recently got the XM4, but unsure about the fit (hurts cartilage in my ears during extended wear, which can be somewhat alleviated by twisting forward slightly, but then they really stick out).

I just picked up the Buds Pro for $140 (great deal), but haven't opened package yet. Reading mixed things about comfort, and battery life doesn't appear to be the best.

Wondering if I should try waiting for the Sennheiser.

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #44,068 of 62,385
The Linkbuds being a true earbud (flathead or classic earbuds), fit is even more paramount because they don't go in your ears at all.

But you are absolutely correct, and there should be a fitment guide in all earphones for those that aren't familiar with tip rolling, and give up on them if they don't sound right out of the box.

I have owned a very few IEMs/TWS that fit just right OOTB. Others I have had to use a size of tip that I would never have thought to fit. Other times I might use a tip that otherwise I didn't like with another set.
If i get some new iem's or tws, the first thing i do is change the tips, the installed ones are generally too small, guess i have big ears. I have a huge stash of unused ear tips. Can't throw anything away.

Mar 27, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #44,069 of 62,385
Anyone suspect the coming Sennheiser Momentum TWS 3 will be any good?

Recently got the XM4, but unsure about the fit (hurts cartilage in my ears during extended wear, which can be somewhat alleviated by twisting forward slightly, but then they really stick out).

I just picked up the Buds Pro for $140 (great deal), but haven't opened package yet. Reading mixed things about comfort, and battery life doesn't appear to be the best.

Wondering if I should try waiting for the Sennheiser.
One of the big reasons to buy the M2’s, is their ability to store your equalizer settings on the buds themselves…
All music going forward will have your ideal EQ set in hardware…
👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back