Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 11, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #43,696 of 62,148
Late to the party. I just got a pair of Sony WF-WHATEVER-MX3 (previous gen) and I'm pretty impressed. They sound terrific. The ANC is OK. I was expecting my mind to be blown by the ANC because everybody was calling it a new gold standard a couple of years ago. It's... Fine? I guess? Maybe my expectations were too high. But my $35 Boltune over-ears' ANC performs just as well.

Regardless, for the $75 I paid (Amazon Warehouse), I'm certainly getting good sound quality.
The ANC on the XM3 really really require a perfect fit / seal. I have 40$ models that do better ANC now (but the XM3 still have a fantastic sound. Too bad that mine are riddled with BT drops and I have to sit still to remain the perfect seal .. hence I don't use them that often anymore)

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #43,697 of 62,148
Just purchased the Kef MU3 and am taken aback how goods these actually are. I wasn’t expecting too much but the musicality, separation and layering are exceptional. A bit no frills in terms of features but the build and sq are punching way above their weight class, IMO. I’m reaching for these more than my Solaris or even full size headphones. Not just for the convenience factor but because of their sheer enjoyability.

Thinking of getting a second set just as backup.!

Mar 11, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #43,698 of 62,148
Costco US has this package for $279 right now.

Attachments

• BBB71774-783B-4D27-9D50-9BCDE63D349A.jpeg
    BBB71774-783B-4D27-9D50-9BCDE63D349A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 11, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #43,700 of 62,148
Is there an option to automagically pause the music when enabling transparency mode for the B&O EQ?

And you can't customize the controls at all right? :/ That along with option to pause the music when enabling ambient mode is what I really like with Sennheiser/Technics! :)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #43,701 of 62,148
That seems like a pretty good deal! Wish they had an even cheaper deal for the MW08 non sport model.
I am looking at these, the Technics AZ60 and the B&O Beoplay (EQ or B8).
I assume they all have great SQ, but anyone have comparative insight on connectivity (multi-point)/call quality/programmability between them?

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #43,702 of 62,148
That seems like a pretty good deal! Wish they had an even cheaper deal for the MW08 non sport model.
I am looking at these, the Technics AZ60 and the B&O Beoplay (EQ or B8).
I assume they all have great SQ, but anyone have comparative insight on connectivity (multi-point)/call quality/programmability between them?
I haven't tried multipoint on the B&O since they just updated that (and I don't have them anymore), but I did on the Technics and it works great. I thought the volume on the EQ was low, but preferred them to the others. They're just so dang pricy for what you get. If they come down in price, I'd no doubt pick the EQ up again. EQ sounds better than the E8 and has ANC with that new multipoint firmware update. Go for newer tech IMO.

Mar 11, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #43,703 of 62,148
On the B&O EQ update:

I’m in the UK and the new software update with track skip function doesn’t appear to be released yet. I recently bought the B&O Beoplay EQ buds. I installed the iOS B&O app on my iPhone and when I paired them the app told me there was an update. Unfortunately the update is only v5.3.7. When will the new update be released in the UK?

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #43,704 of 62,148
I’m in the UK and the new software update with track skip function doesn’t appear to be released yet. I recently bought the B&O Beoplay EQ buds. I installed the iOS B&O app on my iPhone and when I paired them the app told me there was an update. Unfortunately the update is only v5.3.7. When will the new update be released in the UK?
The update didn't show up for me as well even though it was already out. What I did was: Removed the EQ from within the app and the phone and basically set them up like the were completely new.

At the end of the setup process in the app the update immediately showed and I could install it. No idea if that was coincidence or luck but it worked for me. Might be worth a shot for you as well maybe.

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #43,705 of 62,148
Very nice deal! I still love the MW08S to this day and still think they are the best overall package everything considered. In a bundle with the charging pad for that price they are a no brainer, honestly.

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #43,706 of 62,148
Is there an option to automagically pause the music when enabling transparency mode for the B&O EQ?

And you can't customize the controls at all right? :/ That along with option to pause the music when enabling ambient mode is what I really like with Sennheiser/Technics! :)
No option to pause the music when enabling transparency mode unfortunately, no.

And no also no user customisation for the controls. They just added the triple tap on the right and left bud for track skipping but it's not user customizable.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #43,707 of 62,148
Very nice deal! I still love the MW08S to this day and still think they are the best overall package everything considered. In a bundle with the charging pad for that price they are a no brainer, honestly.
I won't be updating them this time around! 4.4.5 keeps screwing up the mics on my end. Odd.

I emailed M&D and they're aware of the issue. They said another update is coming out soon. No ETA :frowning2:

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #43,708 of 62,148
The update didn't show up for me as well even though it was already out. What I did was: Removed the EQ from within the app and the phone and basically set them up like the were completely new.

At the end of the setup process in the app the update immediately showed and I could install it. No idea if that was coincidence or luck but it worked for me. Might be worth a shot for you as well maybe.

I removed the EQ from the app and removed them from my iPhone and then set them up again on my iPhone and app but still there is no new update and my Beoplay EQ still only shows v5.3.7.

I’ll have to contact B&O support.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #43,709 of 62,148
Just to close the circle, I believe what happened is that both modules were drained pretty far down and when I put them in the case, I didn't manage to get the Left module charging. So, when I took them out the next morning, the Right module was fully charged, and the Left was still in the nearly discharged state it had been in the night before. And I listened for a while that morning, until the Left was fully discharged. And apparently when a module is fully discharged, the LED doesn't light up when you put it back in the case, leading me to think it was dead.
Turns out the saga continues. The same problem happened again today, the left module just stopped working. Put it in the case and wiggled it around a bunch and just couldn’t get the red LED to show up. Came back to it an hour or two later and try it again in and then got it to light up. And then, after a while I paired them and looked in the app, and the left module had 46% which seems great so I put them in to listen. This time I had sound from the right ear, but not the left. Once again the problem was the left module. So I took it and out tried to just do the factory reset thing but that didn’t work. Put them back in the case and it didn’t light up again.

Luckily, during the previous incident, I had actually called Amazon and after a little back-and-forth they agreed to send me a replacement set which arrived today. So I’ll try working with those and see if they do better. I’m also curious if I have the same story about bass improving after some burn in.

But for sure, if I get this problem again, it’ll be … moving on.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #43,710 of 62,148
Turns out the saga continues. The same problem happened again today, the left module just stopped working. Put it in the case and wiggled it around a bunch and just couldn’t get the red LED to show up. Came back to it an hour or two later and try it again in and then got it to light up. And then, after a while I paired them and looked in the app, and the left module had 46% which seems great so I put them in to listen. This time I had sound from the right ear, but not the left. Once again the problem was the left module. So I took it and out tried to just do the factory reset thing but that didn’t work. Put them back in the case and it didn’t light up again.

Luckily, during the previous incident, I had actually called Amazon and after a little back-and-forth they agreed to send me a replacement set which arrived today. So I’ll try working with those and see if they do better. I’m also curious if I have the same story about bass improving after some burn in.

But for sure, if I get this problem again, it’ll be … moving on.
I don't know if this is considered a "technically correct" way to do this, but from my experience, and those that have also had issues on this thread back when they first came out, you must hold them away from the case (but lined up correctly), and drop them in from about 1/2" to 1" to get them to seat sometimes. For myself, I never had this problem, but I has always done this method, whether effective or not.

Sure hope you get your issue squared away, because they certainly are great sounding TWS. They actually had MORE technical issues when they first came out, but CA has been pretty persistent in fixing them. For the most part I think they have turned out to be a success story (considering where they came from IMO). Most other companies would have long since given up, and re-released them as an upgrade, or a pro version after fixing the issues. I remember that @miserybeforethemusic worked pretty closely with them to help them fix stuff wrong with them, and they were pretty responsive to the issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back