Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 20, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #42,016 of 62,460
It will get worse if you think about it. Slow time for TWS so not so bad but could be a real mess when it gets busier. Or if there are hot new things in both types at the same time. Or that new Noble with aptX Loseless and Sony quality ANC for $199 is blowing up and you got that one "can these adapters power earphone X" question in the midst of it. :)
That's all valid. Adapters are kind of infringing on a dedicated space for tws... And we all know tws is just a different animal. Valid points

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #42,017 of 62,460
It will get worse if you think about it. Slow time for TWS so not so bad but could be a real mess when it gets busier. Or if there are hot new things in both types at the same time. Or that new Noble with aptX Loseless and Sony quality ANC for $199 is blowing up and you got that one "can these adapters power earphone X" question in the midst of it. :)
Hey BTW... You are in the loop on all this new stuff... I did not hear about the new Noble. What is it?

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #42,018 of 62,460
Hey BTW... You are in the loop on all this new stuff... I did not hear about the new Noble. What is it?
It is the stuff of dreams.:smiley:

Gotcha!

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #42,019 of 62,460
Jan 20, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #42,021 of 62,460
Jan 20, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #42,022 of 62,460
They don't list the codec? Hmm... I should prob assume AAC/SBC. Could obv be wrong. They look nice and compact
No aptx, but thats ok. Got the budget Earfun recently they are really good.

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #42,024 of 62,460
FYI.... Amazon US has a sale on the Ugreen X5 and X6. The X5 which has gotten some very nice reviews are now 51% off at only $24. The X6 w/ANC (I don't think it's very good anc) is on sale for $37ish. Just thought I'd pass along some news on a couple good beater pairs that have gotten so far pretty nice reviews.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #42,025 of 62,460
Perhaps warm was a bit exaggerated. They aren't bright to begin with. Bluetooth codecs lose in the higher frequencies. Used to hearing Ruclid on Shanling M8, so listening to them on apt x adaptive the treble detail just feels too sub par. (Especially since I've been listening to Euclid through m8 exclusively for the last 2 weeks, since I just got them recently.
I found them to be quite bright IMO. They reminded me of an Etymotic ER4SR (not XR) with a subtle bass boost and slightly hotter treble. I tend to listen to 256 AAC with my iPhone. Wired or wireless it ends up being encoded into the same codec.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #42,026 of 62,460
Quick question, if I may.

I have a friend who wants the best bang for his £50 first pair of tws. What's the latest recommendations please?

I have the Soundcore Liberty 3 Pro myself, which I'm very happy with. I originally suggested the old version (pre LDAC) Liberty 2 pro as at one point they were discounted right down to just about £50. Unfortunately, I can't find that price again now, so anything else out there to compare?

He wants them to use whilst skating. He's been very happy with Beats headphones before, so put him down as a bass head that doesn't over analyse things. Mostly listens to drum and bass.

Don't think he's bothered too much about ANC or call quality, but if ANC has filtered down to the £50 price point, then all the better... Probably.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #42,027 of 62,460
SoundPEATS app is back out and finally stable - Air3 and H1 are supported, others are pending. Some nice features like toggling wear detection on the Air3 and the LED's on the H1, as well as adaptive EQ. Unfortunately it's one of those where you have to register your email and sign in.

Some pics here in my H1 and Air3 reviews. I'll upload a YouTube video in due course (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH6h7agGcLNqqw_zV8DMD5Q)

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #42,028 of 62,460
There is alot of the adapter talk... Alot of iem talk as well being that they are required for adapters... Understandabl

Yep, we need a separate blog for the adapters. Since the adapters have far more real estate, with which to cram batteries, chips, amplifiers..etc.., they’ll probably be the first to hit true high fi..
But one needs to be a little crazy to wear large dongles behind their ears.. 😃
I remember people beating up Bose for their Sound Sports Free TWS because of the size (which are excellent headphones btw). The adapter route will never be a big market…

Jan 20, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #42,029 of 62,460
Just got my leyding cable and arias. Surprised me cause the tracking never updated. They only took 12 days and 16 days to come but felt like forever.

The arias within less than a second I knew was what I was looking for tonally. They're my fav's by a decent margin right now for tonality. Surprisingly, second place is the leas. The timeless are great technically, but something about them feels unnatural with the way the sounds mesh together. It could be that I'm just not into planar, which wouldn't be that surprising. I tend to like a closed off suffocated sound. I'm not really into open back headphones or grados.

The con of the arias is the treble can be what I'd call shouty. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct term others would use to describe what I'm hearing. I can't really eq it out without killing the sound, but I'm nitpicking and critiquing these ignoring the price. I'd imagine the blessing 2's and variations would have more natural mids and treble, but they make you pay for it. When you consider the price of the arias, they're insanely good and everyone should buy them. I feel like they've gotten lost in the hype of the timeless and others on here.

The leyding cable I got is 'HiFiGo Kinera Leyding 5N OFC Alloy Copper 8 Core Silver-Plated Hybrid Cable'. It's pricey at 70, but giz approved. It helps the bass on the timeless with 2.5mm connector. I was worried about it being worse than the stock 3.5mm cable I got with the timeless, which must be pretty good because I hated the 2.5mm tripowin zonie 16 spc I tried.

I'll have to mix and match more cables with all the iem's I've gotten recently. Hopefully the zonie 16's sound good with something because I got two, mmcx and 2 pin.

[edit] Tried the second zone 16 cable I got with the arias. Holy sh#@ they're way better. More and tighter bass, and the mids and highs are more pleasing to the hear. Either quality control since it's a diff cable, or these just happen to sound great with the aria and not the timeless. This is way better than they leyding cable, though. Ugh, this hobby!

[edit 2] Sound great on the second zonie 16 cable with mmcx to 2 pin adapters. They just work well with that cable for some reason. They also sound good on the utws3's over BT. Arias and the az09 pros are prob the best deal ever.

I'm not a fan of the stock cable that come with the arias. The sound good straight into my pc's headphone jack, a bit better in btr5, but for $20 with the zonie 16 it gets at least half a grade better. Idk how to grade things, but I'd say more than half a grade better, and less than 1.5 grades better. Still my first impressions, though, and maybe not a fair comparison to the stock unbalanced cable.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #42,030 of 62,460
Anyone who still has their Devialet Gemini, did they ever release that firmware update to fix the battery drain? Guessing no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back