Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 27, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #40,532 of 62,552
Sorry, in looking, think it might of been @darveniza that got them initially. Maybe both.
That may be for the Western market , in a blog I read that tunings we're different. The on s I got from Japan have Victor on the nameplate and JVC Victor within box. Would recommend these , however as I mentioned in my review no app but a lot of functions that are shown on their website , also included that link on a past thread

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #40,533 of 62,552
That may be for the Western market , in a blog I read that tunings we're different. The on s I got from Japan have Victor on the nameplate and JVC Victor within box. Would recommend these , however as I mentioned in my review no app but a lot of functions that are shown on their website , also included that link on a past thread
Yep, that is the post that made me think of mentioning that.

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #40,534 of 62,552
So the SE846 with the UTWS5 sound really really great. I think the Fiio adapters push more power into the SE846 and you definitely do not need EQ. If I turn off the EQ on the Shure adapters, have to push the volume up to get close (but not enough) of the same volume as the Fiio. With the Fiio adapters using the SE846, I can leave the EQ off and you can really hear the instrument separation on the Shure IEMs. I guess that extra power really helps. Maybe Shure limits the power output for US standard reasons. I'd say if you want EQ, pass-through and in my opinion a better snug fit, get the Shure TW2 with some Shure buds. If you want more power, wireless charging, go with the Fiio. The Fiio app is finicky, whereas the Shure app is much more refined. I have zero issues with it. Also, maybe because I have the 2 Pin and MMCX versions of the Fiio, they keep trying to connect at times when they're in the case and BOTH connected to my iPhone. Trying to figure out why. Still having fun over here but these are some observations. For those not wanting to shell out 900 bucks for the SE846, I can wholeheartedly say these Thieaudio L4s are pretty damn awesome at 200 bucks, but you'll need a 2-pin adapter. Outside of maybe instrument separation, I probably wouldn't have even purchased the SE846 buds after listening to these for the holiday weekend. The L4s have more sub-bass, soundstage is comparable. Good stuff for sure.

To sum it up and maybe repeat thoughts... If you want TWS adapters and have no need for pass-through and a very refined app for EQ (and probably other things I'm forgetting), get the Fiio and pair them with some sick IEMs, call it a day. No need to get something like the SE846. If you do want those things (personally, I'm a passthrough addict), then get the Shure TW2 second gen).
Thanks for this. I’m really enjoying the TW2 even with the stock SE215 and still looking at the UTWS5 but all these small bugs you have mentioned getting me worried because the TW2 is super reliable and work like a clock every single time, so I think I’m ok sacrificing a little power for better reliability and overall a more polished product.

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #40,535 of 62,552
Thanks for this. I’m really enjoying the TW2 even with the stock SE215 and still looking at the UTWS5 but all these small bugs you have mentioned getting me worried because the TW2 is super reliable and work like a clock every single time, so I think I’m ok sacrificing a little power for better reliability and overall a more polished product.
I think you made a solid choice. But if you get that wild hair and want to try other great IEMs, you’ll enjoy the adapter/IEM world even more with the Fiio, TRN or the like adapters. 🤘

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #40,536 of 62,552
I think you made a solid choice. But if you get that wild hair and want to try other great IEMs, you’ll enjoy the adapter/IEM world even more with the Fiio, TRN or the like adapters. 🤘
I might finally try the TW2. Even if they have a large case and no wireless charging. What's the pairing process like? The manual made it seem like you need to power off the earhooks first before manually re-entering pairing mode. How quickly can you switch between source devices?

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #40,537 of 62,552
I might finally try the TW2. Even if they have a large case and no wireless charging. What's the pairing process like? The manual made it seem like you need to power off the earhooks first before manually re-entering pairing mode. How quickly can you switch between source devices?
I have them paired to my iPhone, Mac, Apple TV and iPad. As long as you're not playing anything, you can just go into your BT setting and tap on them and they'll force connect to the new device that they were paired to. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's sort of a manual multi-pairing process.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #40,538 of 62,552
I left mine at the office and we recently shut down due to Omicron and the holidays so it will be a while before I can use my TW2 again but, from what I recall, that process is for the initial pairing only. Once paired, it is pretty easy. You just need to go to Bluetooth settings on your source (that was previously paired) and select the TW2 and it will switch (I use a Pixel 6; OnePlus 8T, V60 and a Dell XPS laptop so all Android/Windows PC). No need to enter pairing mode every time you want to switch devices.

Agree with the others, that the TW2 just works as advertised. I also use the Aonic 50 on a daily basis (same app) and the app works really well for both. I have never had an issue connecting to the TW2 or Aonic 50 or controlling any of the functions.

EDIT: what @erockg said above.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #40,540 of 62,552
Dec 27, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #40,541 of 62,552
The tw2 do look nice. As far as the utws5, I haven't had these issues. I'm sure some have and may be a bit buggy for some but mine have worked wonderfully thus far. Contemplating picking up the tw2's as well but I am more than happy with the Fiio set, they are really great man

Dec 27, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #40,542 of 62,552
The tw2 do look nice. As far as the utws5, I haven't had these issues. I'm sure some have and may be a bit buggy for some but mine have worked wonderfully thus far. Contemplating picking up the tw2's as well but I am more than happy with the Fiio set, they are really great man
Famous last words, but I'm not having any issues since a factory reset. I do wish I had an Android phone to install that beta which has ambient mode! Blah.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #40,543 of 62,552
In @Aerosphere 's last article of the year, we check out the Nuarl N10 PRO. Find out how the Nuarl N10 pro performs and compares, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/nuarl-n10-pro-review/

chrome_2021-12-28_10-47-06.png

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #40,544 of 62,552
Dec 28, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #40,545 of 62,552
Famous last words, but I'm not having any issues since a factory reset. I do wish I had an Android phone to install that beta which has ambient mode! Blah.
Dude, I haven't really gone too in depth in my searching but where are these beta upgrades? I only see a firmware upgrade thru the app, which I am updated to the latest. I checked the Fiio site under "service" and the firmware and I don't see the utws5? I'm sure I'm missing something and have only tiny little chunks of time to do what I want..... 3 kids ❤️.... Any help would be awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back