Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 23, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #39,556 of 63,208
Just a note for all users, had to take a recent trip and during my rush to travel only had one set of TWS units with me, within 3 days of the trip I have been using the TWS for calls, music,etc. Started to experience itching, etc and replaced tips, etc. My right ear started to experience all issues of itching , oozing,etc . The Galaxy Buds Pro were the ones that I had for the trip. Just arrived home from travel and trying to make an appointment for doctor as this is an allergic reaction but may become an infection due to the oozing. It is evident that something really is going on.

As I have an array of TWS, never actually use these for whole days because I vary them depending what I am doing. So in thinking about it I have never had the Galaxy Pro's for more than 1hr at a time and that could be the reason why in the past never had any reaction.

The whole process matched some of the information out there, itch starts, stop using and itching goes away. You start using and the itching comes back again and if you dont stop something happens and your ear reacts. I doubt its the tips, this has to be the housing material or the metal in the connectors.

I am floored as I did not really thought would be an issue for me as I use a lot of TWS units, continously use fresh tips or even clean them with a gentle solution that is sold for hearing aids ( tip from another Headfier)

This has bummed me out and I hope I can get to a doctor before I get a full ear infection
I feel your pain, literally. Dealing with this for over a year, problems started with APPs. Apple was kind enough to buy them back. The Buds pro, Sony xm4, all are no goes for my ears. Immediate itch then discharge…sorry for details. Lot of info out about Beats hook causing same reactions. It appears to be high nickel content, tips, tape, covers don’t help as the air from the speaker is pumped into the sensitive inner ear.

FWIW, my Doc prescribed otc ear cleaner followed by swimmers ear treatment. You will know when your ears are back to normal, took six months of no ear buds for me.

I think Apple has solved the problem they took a lot of detailed information from me and assume many others. Pictures, doctors recommendations, etc. Anyway the Beats Fit Pro so far for me have caused no issues. They also sit pretty shallow in the ear. Really happy to be able to use buds again!

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #39,557 of 63,208
Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I need some advice. Sorry for the giant text :blush:
I use M&D MW07 for about a year, I love their sound but the battery has degraded drastically, they last barely an hour, and today they turned off after 20 minutes of play. So I'm looking for a replacement. The problem is that I live in Ukraine, so buying, testing and returning is not an option. I can buy from Amazon or ebay and use a forwarder company to send me stuff from US or EU. I will end up with what I'll buy for months or even years, so I'm trying to choose very carefully. Of course I can try to sell them here but it'll work only with popular brand and model, and I probably lose money anyway.
My price range is under $150-160. I also consider different 'open box' offers on ebay. SQ is most important, the next are ANC, Transparency mode, long battery life, AptX or LDAC. Well, for the max SQ I've got over-ear M&D MW60 to listen to music at home (mostly in a wired mode through DAC), and use TWS mostly for gym, but anyway I'd like to avoid the significant downgrade in SQ comparing to the MW07s. I listen to different genres: rock/indy/alternative, electronics, jazz/acid jazz, trip-hop etc.
I read this thread (at least last ~100 pages) and different reviews, I also listened to sound comparisons on YT, and here are my favorites (with their pros and cons):

Sennheiser CX Plus/MTW2 (by the way, which one is better?)

Pros: high SQ, good ANC and transparency, reputable brand, the price (CX Plus).
Cons: I'm not sure I'll love the Sennheiser sound. I've bought Sennies CX 400BT for my wife and she loved them (unfortunately they were too large for her ears so had to sell them), but I'm not sure I like their signature. I usually do heavy EQing using third party apps, so maybe I'll manage to EQ them to my taste. Another con is that as far as I know there are many faulty items (MTW2) and I won't be able to return them. MTW2 battery doesn't seem to live long.

Technics AZ70

Pros: SQ, brand, premium feel, extremely low price - can be found at about 90 bucks
Cons: No AptX or LDAC, an outdated model. AZ60 seems to be better but it's too pricey for me

Audio-Technica ATH-CKS50TW

Pros: SQ, brand, crazy battery life
Cons: never heard a sample of how they sound, large size, complicity of ordering at amazon.jp

Klipsch T5 II ANC

Pros: SQ, some guys here seem to be happy with these for a long time (@erockg), BRAGI and so on..
Cons: more pricey than I can afford (although now $179 at amazon is a good price and close to my price range), not so many reviews, never heard a sample of how they sound

NUARL N6 Pro/Pro2

Pros: SQ
Cons: less known brand, not so many reviews, no chance to sell them here if I don't like them

Anker L3P

Pros: everybody loves them :), only good reviews saying this is the best sound in the world ever; relatively easy to sell if I don't like them
Cons: from what I coud hear on YT they sound too bright, I'm not sure that this could be fully corrected with EQ; too high price for a chinese non-audiofile brand; I'm just not sure if I like them (and all this hype)

Sony WF-1000XM4

Pros: popular model, good ANC and modern tech; easy to sell if needed
Cons: questionable SQ, overwhelming bass, in all of the comparisons that I heard they sounded worse for me than Sennies or Technics etc; price too high, the only chance to fit in my price range is to find some open box or lightly used offer; feeling of huge overpriced item.

For now my favorites are, I guess, Sennheiser CX Plus/MTW2, Klipsch T5 II ANC and Audio-Technica SKC50TW. If you'd have to keep and use only one of these for a few months or years, which one would it be? Or maybe anything else I didn't come across yet (except all of this chinese stuff like edifier, 1more, fiil, trn, bgvp, qcy etc.., hundreds of them)?

In this comparison of MW08 and MTW2 you can hear which sound I prefer: it's MW08. Which of the above models sound close to the M&D's?

Also here's a sound comparison bw AZ60, AZ70, Jabra Elite 7, Sennheiser CX Plus and Sony WF-1000XM4. For me AZ60 & AZ70 are the best, then the Sennies, then the Sony, and the Jabra is just awful. I wish I could see such a comparison with Klipsch and AT to understand more about thier SQ...

Any advice appreciated :)

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #39,558 of 63,208
Hi everyone! This is my first post here and I need some advice. Sorry for the giant text :blush:
I use M&D MW07 for about a year, I love their sound but the battery has degraded drastically, they last barely an hour, and today they turned off after 20 minutes of play. So I'm looking for a replacement. The problem is that I live in Ukraine, so buying, testing and returning is not an option. I can buy from Amazon or ebay and use a forwarder company to send me stuff from US or EU. I will end up with what I'll buy for months or even years, so I'm trying to choose very carefully. Of course I can try to sell them here but it'll work only with popular brand and model, and I probably lose money anyway.
My price range is under $150-160. I also consider different 'open box' offers on ebay. SQ is most important, the next are ANC, Transparency mode, long battery life, AptX or LDAC. Well, for the max SQ I've got over-ear M&D MW60 to listen to music at home (mostly in a wired mode through DAC), and use TWS mostly for gym, but anyway I'd like to avoid the significant downgrade in SQ comparing to the MW07s. I listen to different genres: rock/indy/alternative, electronics, jazz/acid jazz, trip-hop etc.
I read this thread (at least last ~100 pages) and different reviews, I also listened to sound comparisons on YT, and here are my favorites (with their pros and cons):

Cons: I'm not sure I'll love the Sennheiser sound. I've bought Sennies CX 400BT for my wife and she loved them (unfortunately they were too large for her ears so had to sell them), but I'm not sure I like their signature. I usually do heavy EQing using third party apps, so maybe I'll manage to EQ them to my taste. Another con is that as far as I know there are many faulty items (MTW2) and I won't be able to return them. MTW2 battery doesn't seem to live long.

Technics AZ70

Pros: SQ, brand, premium feel, extremely low price - can be found at about 90 bucks
Cons: No AptX or LDAC, an outdated model. AZ60 seems to be better but it's too pricey for me

Cons: never heard a sample of how they sound, large size, complicity of ordering at amazon.jp

Klipsch T5 II ANC

Pros: SQ, some guys here seem to be happy with these for a long time (@erockg), BRAGI and so on..
Cons: more pricey than I can afford (although now $179 at amazon is a good price and close to my price range), not so many reviews, never heard a sample of how they sound

NUARL N6 Pro/Pro2

Cons: less known brand, not so many reviews, no chance to sell them here if I don't like them

Anker L3P

Pros: everybody loves them :), only good reviews saying this is the best sound in the world ever; relatively easy to sell if I don't like them
Cons: from what I coud hear on YT they sound too bright, I'm not sure that this could be fully corrected with EQ; too high price for a chinese non-audiofile brand; I'm just not sure if I like them (and all this hype)

Sony WF-1000XM4

Cons: questionable SQ, overwhelming bass, in all of the comparisons that I heard they sounded worse for me than Sennies or Technics etc; price too high, the only chance to fit in my price range is to find some open box or lightly used offer; feeling of huge overpriced item.

For now my favorites are, I guess, Sennheiser CX Plus/MTW2, Klipsch T5 II ANC and Audio-Technica SKC50TW. If you'd have to keep and use only one of these for a few months or years, which one would it be? Or maybe anything else I didn't come across yet (except all of this chinese stuff like edifier, 1more, fiil, trn, bgvp, qcy etc.., hundreds of them)?

In this comparison of MW08 and MTW2 you can hear which sound I prefer: it's MW08. Which of the above models sound close to the M&D's?

Also here's a sound comparison bw AZ60, AZ70, Jabra Elite 7, Sennheiser CX Plus and Sony WF-1000XM4. For me AZ60 & AZ70 are the best, then the Sennies, then the Sony, and the Jabra is just awful. I wish I could see such a comparison with Klipsch and AT to understand more about thier SQ...

A couple notes on the Klipsch, which have been discussed before and I don't have any issues with, but they do fit a bit deeper in the ears than say the XM4s. The Klipsch also use proprietary tips, so don't expect to easily swap them out. That being said, I do like them and they do perform well across the board. I personally listen to my XM4s more than the Klipsch, but that is primarily due to my overall use patterns (calls, ANC, etc). I will say, I have not experienced any QC issues so far with either of these which is probably important in your scenario depending on where you buy from. I don't have exposure to the other TWS you mention in your list, so can't chime in there. Maybe, if you have an important genre you really like, you could receive some tailored feedback as well. I listen to about everything, but for me Vocal clarity and instrument separation really does it for me. Good luck.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #39,559 of 63,208

Technics AZ70

Klipsch T5 II ANC

NUARL N6 Pro/Pro2

Anker L3P

Sony WF-1000XM4

If you didn't like the cx400bt sound signature then you should probably not get the mtw2/cx plus. They have very similar sound signatures (cx plus is a bit more bass-heavy afaik) so depends on whether you are willing to EQ or not.

AZ70 is very good SQ. It may be an older model, but not by very much (perhaps year and half max). It has very good fairly neutral sound. I had issues getting a good fit (often fell out if I moved my head). If you do get these, I would suggest getting a pair of 3rd party eartips just in case.

Sony have very good EQ and solid app. They are a bit overpriced IMHO even on sale right now for $248 new. It should not be difficult to sell though like you said. Someone will be willing to buy on name alone.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #39,560 of 63,208

Technics AZ70

Klipsch T5 II ANC

NUARL N6 Pro/Pro2

Anker L3P

Sony WF-1000XM4

Unfortunately I don’t have any experienced with the models you have mentions but just a word of caution. Since you’re most likely unable to test and return I would avoid the open boxes from eBay and such. Yeah, sometimes the deal is great if they work properly but if not you’re sadly out off luck.
Some issues with TWS can arise randomly and after using the product for a good few days which is very frustrating. If it’s DOA it’s frustrating but much easier but since you won’t be able to return I would say away from those deals. Just my 2 cents.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #39,561 of 63,208
Unfortunately I don’t have any experienced with the models you have mentions but just a word of caution. Since you’re most likely unable to test and return I would avoid the open boxes from eBay and such. Yeah, sometimes the deal is great if they work properly but if not you’re sadly out off luck.
Some issues with TWS can arise randomly and after using the product for a good few days which is very frustrating. If it’s DOA it’s frustrating but much easier but since you won’t be able to return I would say away from those deals. Just my 2 cents.
Yes, I would avoid used or even refurbished in that situation. That might put the Sony out of the budget.

The Anker or AZ70 (w/ 3rd party tips like the Crystal, but no aptx/ldac) might be the best options. Maybe the Audio-technica, but I don't know how good they are.

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #39,562 of 63,208

Technics AZ70

Klipsch T5 II ANC

NUARL N6 Pro/Pro2

Anker L3P

Sony WF-1000XM4

I own the AZ70 and quite enjoy them regardless of having LDAC they sound very good, but are slightly in the larger size. I personally use 3rd party tips on mine.

I am seeing the AZ60 for ng sale for the same price as the AZ70 at $199Cad here in Canada so they might be an option if you can find them on sale.

The Sennheiser MX400BT are nice, with a warmer signature but I prefer the AZ70 over them.

I also own the WF-1000XM3 which I find a bit to dark for my taste out of the box, so suspect the 1000XM4 will be even worse in regards to a darker less exciting signature. Definitely the most expensive to boot.

I personally am wrestling with getting the AZ60 on sale as they would give a good multi-connect option for music and work with my laptop and teams. Reviews do suggest the AZ70 is the better audiophile TWS though regardless of being older. So if SQ reigns supreme they may be the best choice. If I do decide to bite on the AZ60 I will definitely weigh in on the sonic differences and my preference...

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #39,563 of 63,208
A couple notes on the Klipsch.
[...]
Maybe, if you have an important genre you really like, you could receive some tailored feedback as well. I listen to about everything, but for me Vocal clarity and instrument separation really does it for me. Good luck.
Thanks for sharing experience with Klipsch.
As for preferred genres, I listen to different music, not everything but many different genres, so like you I also seek for clarity and instrument separation

If you didn't like the cx400bt sound signature then you should probably not get the mtw2/cx plus. They have very similar sound signatures (cx plus is a bit more bass-heavy afaik) so depends on whether you are willing to EQ or not.

AZ70 is very good SQ. It may be an older model, but not by very much (perhaps year and half max). It has very good fairly neutral sound. I had issues getting a good fit (often fell out if I moved my head). If you do get these, I would suggest getting a pair of 3rd party eartips just in case.

Sony have very good EQ and solid app. They are a bit overpriced IMHO even on sale right now for $248 new. It should not be difficult to sell though like you said. Someone will be willing to buy on name alone.
Thanks for your thoughts. I agree about the Sonys. As for Sennies, I can do a lot of EQ, is not a problem. I can combine eqing with the native app and with the third party app (now I'm using equaliser Pie). I didn't like them, but I listened to them for a short time from my wife's phone w/o eqing at all, so I hope I'll be able to make them sound proper for me.
About the AZ70 - I'm sure they sound great, and other features are good, but the lack of aptX or LDAC can really be a deal-breaker. For now I listen to Spotify and I really hope they add hi-fi quality soon as they promised, so I do think I'll need a high definition codecs even in a gym or on a walk. And if Spotify won't add hi-fi quality, I can switch to tidal or deezer hi-fi. I like these Technics probably the most from the reviews, but only aac... It's disappointing :frowning2:

Thanks, I'll definitely take this into consideration

Yes, I would avoid used or even refurbished in that situation. That might put the Sony out of the budget.

The Anker or AZ70 (w/ 3rd party tips like the Crystal, but no aptx/ldac) might be the best options. Maybe the Audio-technica, but I don't know how good they are.
Thanks, this doesn't make my choice easier haha :)
I own the AZ70 and quite enjoy them regardless of having LDAC they sound very good, but are slightly in the larger size. I personally use 3rd party tips on mine.

I am seeing the AZ60 for ng sale for the same price as the AZ70 at $199Cad here in Canada so they might be an option if you can find them on sale.

The Sennheiser MX400BT are nice, with a warmer signature but I prefer the AZ70 over them.

I also own the WF-1000XM3 which I find a bit to dark for my taste out of the box, so suspect the 1000XM4 will be even worse in regards to a darker less exciting signature. Definitely the most expensive to boot.

I personally am wrestling with getting the AZ60 on sale as they would give a good multi-connect option for music and work with my laptop and teams. Reviews do suggest the AZ70 is the better audiophile TWS though regardless of being older. So if SQ reigns supreme they may be the best choice. If I do decide to bite on the AZ60 I will definitely weigh in on the sonic differences and my preference...
Thanks! I'll think about AZ70 and also will be looking for AZ60 on sale. It all is getting more and more interesting... :)

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #39,564 of 63,208
im trying to find more opinions on the tanchjim echo and how it compares to the mainstream TWS, already been burned by the Koss TWS250i which sound good but are a bit flat and animic.

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #39,565 of 63,208
Yes it's definitely an option bc my favorite forwarder company ships from Canada to Ukraine so I think I can easily order in Canada, and 200CAD is less than 160USD. Thanks!

So many options out there! Well, the chase is better than the catch :dt880smile:

Nov 24, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #39,566 of 63,208
im trying to find more opinions on the tanchjim echo and how it compares to the mainstream TWS, already been burned by the Koss TWS250i which sound good but are a bit flat and animic.
If they don't have them for their own site you really can't trust it. When Koss put a TWS out on Koss.com then you know they are worthy enough to them at least. Other market offshoots are first versions or market tests for them I would think. Speaking of Koss, after all this time, they actually wised up after all the headband swaps and they give us this...
Koss-KPH40-Utility_Hero_300x300.jpg

The KPH40i

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #39,567 of 63,208
Fiil T2 Pro is out now.... These guys are killing me man. Gamesky has a new YouTube video about them. As I thought though... These are only available in China at the moment, but I suspect it may stay that way, Kevin "Gamesky" said you can find them on Ali right now. I have never had a Fiil set oddly enough but the T2 Pro look nice. Now He did say that these 'out-of-the-Box' sound warmer and may need some EQ

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #39,569 of 63,208
Just noticed that Klipsch T5 II ANC don't support aptX, only SBC/AAC. How's that possible when even twice cheaper non-ANC version supports aptX?
It's a shame, this probably puts them out of my list :triportsad:
I saw that as well... How ridiculous. I was going to purchase these and saw the same thing. Granted you prob will not be able to tell a big difference but..... Wth!

Nov 24, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #39,570 of 63,208
Just noticed that Klipsch T5 II ANC don't support aptX, only SBC/AAC. How's that possible when even twice cheaper non-ANC version supports aptX?
It's a shame, this probably puts them out of my list :triportsad:
The T5 II ANC design was submitted to FCC back in January, and at that time only Airoha could support some of the features they included. The Airoha chip used in them is the same as the FIIL CC Pro - if Klipsch did the same as FIIL (stripped the legacy mpeg2 elements from the AAC implementation) then the Qualcomm chip required for aptx support would have given buyers no real advantage in latency or bitrate.

I'd say a bigger reason for swerving them would be they're already essentially old tech. If you're a Snapdragon 8 chip phone owner, probably best to wait for the wave of qcc5141/51 based buds to filter through. They'll be the first Qualcomm ones to support 96k audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back