Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 27, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #38,806 of 62,452
So shockingly enough I think my TWS itch is gone for now thanks to to the 1More Comfobuds Pro.

They have a shallow fit, super comfy, strong mids sparkly highs and great bass so with the Sennheiser CX 400BT and the Fiil T1XS I think I'm all set! (at least for now)

If I were to get the 1More before the Sennheiser I would have probably skipped the CX 400BT because the Comfobuds Pro do almost everything right.

The main difference between the two in terms of sq is that the 1More are more resolving and have stronger mids. They also do Imaging differently.
The CX 400BT have wider soundstage and depth while the Comfobuds Pro have more height on top of width to the soundstage and you feel like you are on stage or in front of the singer while the Sennheiser are a bit further away from the action.

The Comfobuds Pro have super well done Ambient, the best I have had, which is very useful to me and the ANC for my use case is excellent.

If you are considering the 1More get the Aurora Blue which has the pre-sets for eq while the black and white versions don't. (I know, super odd marketing choice).

I got mine well below their price tag and at $60 you're winning all day as their pre-sets eq is better and more responsive than the 3 bar Sennheiser eq.

I got both pairs below retail and use them both as part of my rotation as they are different enough to keep both.

Fully agree with your thoughts on these. Bought them a week ago and am really surprised at how good the ANC, ambient mode, comfort and sound quality is - vocals really shine. In many ways, I prefer them to the MTW2, although as you say about the CX 400BT, they are so different it's easy to justify keeping both!

Only things I don't like are how long the stems are (rubs against my beard, which I can hear when not playing music), and the controls, which are limited. Also, I didn't realise when I bought them that the Aurora Blue had different EQ settings, and I bought the black colour, annoying!

Tempted to return and re-order, but the black were/are approx £60 here, whilst the blue are £76.49. In your view, are the pre-set EQ settings good enough to justify returning and spending an additional £15 on the blue?

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #38,807 of 62,452
Fully agree with your thoughts on these. Bought them a week ago and am really surprised at how good the ANC, ambient mode, comfort and sound quality is - vocals really shine. In many ways, I prefer them to the MTW2, although as you say about the CX 400BT, they are so different it's easy to justify keeping both!

Only things I don't like are how long the stems are (rubs against my beard, which I can hear when not playing music), and the controls, which are limited. Also, I didn't realise when I bought them that the Aurora Blue had different EQ settings, and I bought the black colour, annoying!

Tempted to return and re-order, but the black were/are approx £60 here, whilst the blue are £76.49. In your view, are the pre-set EQ settings good enough to justify returning and spending an additional £15 on the blue?

I'm really enjoying them. I don't love the stem style design but it's not as bad as initially thought and the call quality is excellent as the stem is basically resting against my bone.

It sure is an odd marketing move to have one color out of the lineup a different sound signature and added eq features IMO.

If you ask me, the Aurora Blue with the pre-sets eq are worth it if you can still return the black ones.

I mainly use the Default eq but often switch to Acoustic or Electronic and a few pre-sets actually enhance the soundstage very well.
Out of the 22 available I found 20 of them to alter to sound and 14 to noticeably change it.

To me at least 12 pre-sets out of the 22 are useful but other than the Loud option they all change the sound to my ears.

Unlike the Sennheiser sound, the 1More sound is much more responsive to each eq pre-set and makes a big difference.
With the Sennheiser I often need to play with the eq to make sure it's even working since the changes are more like a minor tweak while with the 1More it transforms the sound signature to fit different genres.

I basically explore the options based on their website and for the most part they are spot on.

1635346858551.png

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #38,809 of 62,452
For $43 I'm curious but not expecting much in terms of sound quality really but of course I hope I'm wrong.

I was looking into the Sparks and thought based on sound signature and reviews they were an interesting enough set of TWS for $80 especially with the now added iPhone app and the old Android app.
Sparks are a very nice set in terms of SQ. If you dig the signature. I think their first set of tws was a smash man... They did good

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #38,810 of 62,452
Anyone got good things to say about using the Fiio UTSW3 vs true wireless sets?
Ya... They blow the best tws out of the water with the correct synergy iem attached, which is pretty much anything you put on them. They are great. The cons are the enormous case, which it has to be that size, maybe the style some may not like. The implementation of dac and much more powerful amp do a very good job at driving sensitive to not so sensitive iems. If I put my Final E4000 on them it doesn't quite push them to what I like out of Final iems without going near full volume but anything underneath that (more sensitive iems) sounds fantastic.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #38,811 of 62,452
Okay... Guys... What do any of you think of the Devialet Gemini. I realize there has been posts about them on here in the past but I'm hoping connection issues and battery drain have since been updated out of these. Sound quality wise, ANC, updates? I am about to hit the "Buy Now" button but figured I'd run it through some people who have owned this set.

Oct 27, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #38,812 of 62,452
I'm really enjoying them. I don't love the stem style design but it's not as bad as initially thought and the call quality is excellent as the stem is basically resting against my bone.

It sure is an odd marketing move to have one color out of the lineup a different sound signature and added eq features IMO.

If you ask me, the Aurora Blue with the pre-sets eq are worth it if you can still return the black ones.

I mainly use the Default eq but often switch to Acoustic or Electronic and a few pre-sets actually enhance the soundstage very well.
Out of the 22 available I found 20 of them to alter to sound and 14 to noticeably change it.

To me at least 12 pre-sets out of the 22 are useful but other than the Loud option they all change the sound to my ears.

Unlike the Sennheiser sound, the 1More sound is much more responsive to each eq pre-set and makes a big difference.
With the Sennheiser I often need to play with the eq to make sure it's even working since the changes are more like a minor tweak while with the 1More it transforms the sound signature to fit different genres.

I basically explore the options based on their website and for the most part they are spot on.

1635346858551.png
That's really useful, thanks for the quick response!

Really like the default tuning, but it doesn't work for everything, so seems like a no-brainer to return them and get the Aurora Blue.

Agree about the Sennheiser eq, it's not great. Wasn't a fan of the 'neutral' pre-set initially, so bumped up the treble and lowered the bass a bit, but eventually found that too shrill so moved the sliders back a little, but that made it nearly indistinguishable from the neutral setting, so gave up and left it at neutral most of the time. Getting the right ear tips made a bigger difference. Stock tips didn't fit well, and foam reduced the clarity and felt uncomfortable (although helped remove sibilance), but Spinfit CP360s are working better. Comfobuds Pro are far easier to get along with though.

Oct 27, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #38,813 of 62,452
Anyone got good things to say about using the Fiio UTSW3 vs true wireless sets?

I have both UTWS3 and UTWS1. I find myself using my TWS more than my FiiOs. TWS are much smaller, easier to plug into my ears. But really depends on you, if you have a lot of IEMs and would just want to try them out, maybe look for them in the Used market, just so that you can try them out with your IEMs and be able to save a bit. FYI, UTWS5 is about to be released as well.

I still have a few IEMs that my UTWS's can drive but for the sake of comfort, I prefer using my TWSs.

Oct 27, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #38,814 of 62,452
I have both UTWS3 and UTWS1. I find myself using my TWS more than my FiiOs. TWS are much smaller, easier to plug into my ears. But really depends on you, if you have a lot of IEMs and would just want to try them out, maybe look for them in the Used market, just so that you can try them out with your IEMs and be able to save a bit. FYI, UTWS5 is about to be released as well.

I still have a few IEMs that my UTWS's can drive but for the sake of comfort, I prefer using my TWSs.
Agree, I much more gravitate to tws just for the form factor, I do have a bunch of iems and when in the mood the Utws3 serve a good purpose. BTW utws5 does look nice... Still haven't gone to market I don't think?

Oct 27, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #38,815 of 62,452
Agree, I much more gravitate to tws just for the form factor, I do have a bunch of iems and when in the mood the Utws3 serve a good purpose. BTW utws5 does look nice... Still haven't gone to market I don't think

On the UTWS5 thread FiiO reports that it is not available outside of China until sometime in November. Also, aptX HD is not supported, but instead they have opted for the newer, higher performance, but not as widely adopted aptX Adaptive. That is causing a minor dust up in the thread.

Oct 27, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #38,816 of 62,452
Just to backtrack on the "Jabra 7 Pro", how are they supposed to fit in the Jabra lineup ? Do they replace the 65s and/or 75s ?
From what Jabra's website says, they fall in right before the 85T.

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #38,817 of 62,452
On the UTWS5 thread FiiO reports that it is not available outside of China until sometime in November. Also, aptX HD is not supported, but instead they have opted for the newer, higher performance, but not as widely adopted aptX Adaptive. That is causing a minor dust up in the thread.
Ya I have a few aptx adaptive iems and being that I use either my Fiio M11 or my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ I haven't been able to take advantage of the codec. Aptx is fine though, I can't imagine a crazy difference. I believe the implementation of the engine inside is what really can make a dif....possibly. The newer chip and upgraded dac should push these even better. I will Def still purchase the 5's. Thanks for your thoughts man

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #38,818 of 62,452
Agree, I much more gravitate to tws just for the form factor, I do have a bunch of iems and when in the mood the Utws3 serve a good purpose. BTW utws5 does look nice... Still haven't gone to market I don't think?
For what it's worth, I use the Shure MMCX TW2 adapters with the SE846 IEMs and they are phenomenal. Zero issues.

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #38,819 of 62,452
For what it's worth, I use the Shure MMCX TW2 adapters with the SE846 IEMs and they are phenomenal. Zero issues.
Ya man I've been checking those out as well. They are the only adapter type tws I haven't tried and I've heard only very good things, especially the 2nd Gen tw2. Everyone seems to be pleased with them... Throw on the SE846 and damn.... You prob have a fantastic set there.

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #38,820 of 62,452

Yeah, the TWS cases aren't portable at all which is a shame. I've kind of turned away from adapting TWS headphones and going towards a normal BT cable for the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back