Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 26, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #36,661 of 61,395
I'm just getting caught up here. Interesting to see the EQs getting so much love. Any weird quirks or issues? Is the battery living up to the 6.5 hours advertised? I might be willing to plunk down the cash for 6.5 hours of ANC.

Also curious if there any reviews out there that line up with real world HeadFi experiences? Most mainstream TWS reviews drive me crazy because they are tech consumer focused vs audio focused.

Last question. Is everyone ordering directly from B&O or another retailer?
Not sure if I have seen any real reviews and like you I would probably take them with a big grain of salt outside of feature discussions. I haven't tested to the full extent, but battery life is solid. Will try and do that to see how much I can get, but a bit busy this weekend so we'll see. I think B&O is the only place at this point due to newness. They ship next day once they prepare it with their third party logistics (Wisconsin).

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #36,663 of 61,395
Not to throw a variable in the mix, but the B&O EQ have really good SQ in my opinion. I actually think they fill a couple of the shortcomings of the PI7s (coming from a B&W fanboy). Great case and a handy sound adjustment "wheel". I don't have the ears as some of the folks here, but the clarity of them is very nice. Listened to them for a few hours last night, and I was pretty impressed. Definitely a noticeable difference when I switched to the XM4s and T5 IIs and listened to the same tracks. They don't have the features the other two have though, but so far pretty good ANC (Adaptive). I will listen to them some more today and try to get a better comparison of the three.
I'm looking for a TWS have a rich and emotive vocal. I already have Pi7 but i think their vocal is too thin and bass too much for me. So do you think B&O EQ are suitable for me ??

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #36,664 of 61,395
TWS are becoming a problem as traditional IEM's :), current picture did not include my Grados as my son is using them

As of today,

On Sound:
  1. B&O
  2. Devialet
  3. STW2
  4. MW08
  5. AKG N400/PI7
On Noise Cancelling:
  1. Sony
  2. MW08
  3. STW2
  4. Devialet
  5. PI7
APP
  1. Sony
  2. CA MT
  3. B&O
  4. STW2
  5. AKG
Case
  1. B&O
  2. MW08
  3. Sony
  4. PI7
  5. CA MT

IMG_20210825_104201.jpg
I really admire your tws colection. I already have PI7 but i dont like their thin vocal and too much kick on mid-bass, their soundstage is also not so wide. So can your share which one in your colection is suitable for my taste ?? Thanks alot

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #36,665 of 61,395
I really admire your tws colection. I already have PI7 but i dont like their thin vocal and too much kick on mid-bass, their soundstage is also not so wide. So can your share which one in your colection is suitable for my taste ?? Thanks alot
Seems like the Gemini are pretty popular these days. From what i have read, I think it also has EQ so you can tailor the sound to your preferences. Wish B&W and M&D would build in EQ as well. Wanted to try one myself but couldn't get past the size of the case and pretty happy with the PI7s right now. May give you what you are looking for though.

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #36,666 of 61,395
Seems like the Gemini are pretty popular these days. From what i have read, I think it also has EQ so you can tailor the sound to your preferences. Wish B&W and M&D would build in EQ as well. Wanted to try one myself but couldn't get past the size of the case and pretty happy with the PI7s right now. May give you what you are looking for though.
I used to listen Gemini but i think its bass is too strong blur the mids even i set eq -6db bass :frowning2: i heard about the new B&O tws and i'm looking for more recommend of them because the price is too expensive

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #36,667 of 61,395
I think the price is the big factor to consider. MT is $130, Gemini is $300. I would expect Gemini to be better for sure.

Considering the number of comparisons between MT & Gemini with the former coming close to the latter at less than half the cost.. I think that actually says a lot about the MT.

Most definitely. The MT are always compared, sound quality wise, with others at twice the price. That’s been one of their strong suits. They may fall a little short in some aspects, but for the people who, like me, believe that with the current tech TWS should be kept at a low budget, these are a definite bargain.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #36,668 of 61,395
I'm just getting caught up here. Interesting to see the EQs getting so much love. Any weird quirks or issues? Is the battery living up to the 6.5 hours advertised? I might be willing to plunk down the cash for 6.5 hours of ANC.

Also curious if there any reviews out there that line up with real world HeadFi experiences? Most mainstream TWS reviews drive me crazy because they are tech consumer focused vs audio focused.

Last question. Is everyone ordering directly from B&O or another retailer?
I also think most reviews are way too focused on the tech. I know that a lot of people don't really care much about how the music sounds but are more practical in nature so they want the best tech possible. But i'd rather take superb sound and mediocre tech than mediocre sound and superb tech in a pair of TWS earbuds. Mediocretech in this case does not mean "constant cutouts every 5 seconds" btw, if it's THAT bad i'd rather take the mediocre sound.

I mean, I know some people say "well, TWS earbuds aren't audiophile by nature because of lossy codecs blahblah if you want real audiophile sound you would get wired cans or IEM's!" but that's sort of at the point where they lose me because I listen to a lot of my music on the run, and wires are annoying and distracting to me unless i'm sitting in a chair at home, so obviously I want the best sound possible from the product I'll use the most for my music listening.
Sometimes I do think about getting a pair of wired IEM's to see what i've been missing out on, because it's been probably 5-6 years ago I last used a pair of DECENT wired earbuds, so I can't remember how they compare to a set of expensive TWS's

Aug 27, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #36,669 of 61,395
this is interesting, it says that it uses bone conduction, might be useful for runners and bike riders

-1301852976-837843189.jpg

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKfVqcn

Aug 27, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #36,670 of 61,395
I also think most reviews are way too focused on the tech. I know that a lot of people don't really care much about how the music sounds but are more practical in nature so they want the best tech possible. But i'd rather take superb sound and mediocre tech than mediocre sound and superb tech in a pair of TWS earbuds. Mediocretech in this case does not mean "constant cutouts every 5 seconds" btw, if it's THAT bad i'd rather take the mediocre sound.

I mean, I know some people say "well, TWS earbuds aren't audiophile by nature because of lossy codecs blahblah if you want real audiophile sound you would get wired cans or IEM's!" but that's sort of at the point where they lose me because I listen to a lot of my music on the run, and wires are annoying and distracting to me unless i'm sitting in a chair at home, so obviously I want the best sound possible from the product I'll use the most for my music listening.
Sometimes I do think about getting a pair of wired IEM's to see what i've been missing out on, because it's been probably 5-6 years ago I last used a pair of DECENT wired earbuds, so I can't remember how they compare to a set of expensive TWS's
I tried using my shure e530 again during my switch from over ears to TWS and while they sounded great, they brought back memories of buds getting pulled out by being connected to wires. I realize the convenience factor of TWS is not lost on me

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #36,671 of 61,395

Funny you mentioned this since in the last 2 weeks since I’m waiting for some new TWS to arrive I went back to using some multi-drivers IEMs and they all sound so so good in general and very effortless especially when it comes to imagining.
it’s less of an “issue” on the go because I don’t need the sq for critical listening when out and about but at home it’s a different story.

Aug 27, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #36,672 of 61,395
I tried using my shure e530 again during my switch from over ears to TWS and while they sounded great, they brought back memories of buds getting pulled out by being connected to wires. I realize the convenience factor of TWS is not lost on me
Definitely for on the go, especially when you need to wear a mask and, sometimes in my case, glasses, there just isn't enough room behind my ears for my SE846.

Ears recently started getting blocked up after 20+ years of IEM use so ended up trying to get my ears cleaned out, which they did bit also left me with inflammation in my left ear (couldnt hear for a week) and an infection in the right. Have my hearing back now luckily bur the whole experience has brought me back to over ears (have been using my Aonic 50s more the last few weeks). Also, maybe it is a sign that I am satisfied with my TWS collection for now but I have now been more focused on my desktop setup (just purchased an RME ADI-2 from someone on headfi and will be digging my Aeon 2 Noires out of storage today). I have also found myself using the SE846 more at home again these days. For now, I think my daily drivers will be as follows:

TWS (music on the go): B&W PI7
TWS (calls): Samsung Galaxy Buds Live
TWS (workout, grilling, doing things around the apartment): MW07 Go (essentially my "beater" pair)
Over Ear wireless: Aonic 50
IEM: Shure SE846 (with Dragonfly Cobalt or Qudelix 5K) - usually keep in backpack and use at the office.
Home desktop: Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire

Long story short, I think each serves a purpose. For on the go, it will definitely be TWS as you just cannot beat convenience (for both music and calls).

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #36,673 of 61,395
Definitely for on the go, especially when you need to wear a mask and, sometimes in my case, glasses, there just isn't enough room behind my ears for my SE846.

Ears recently started getting blocked up after 20+ years of IEM use so ended up trying to get my ears cleaned out, which they did bit also left me with inflammation in my left ear (couldnt hear for a week) and an infection in the right. Have my hearing back now luckily bur the whole experience has brought me back to over ears (have been using my Aonic 50s more the last few weeks). Also, maybe it is a sign that I am satisfied with my TWS collection for now but I have now been more focused on my desktop setup (just purchased an RME ADI-2 from someone on headfi and will be digging my Aeon 2 Noires out of storage today). I have also found myself using the SE846 more at home again these days. For now, I think my daily drivers will be as follows and the rest will remain in my closer:

TWS (music on the go): B&W PI7
TWS (calls): Samsung Galaxy Buds Live
TWS (workout, grilling, doing things around the apartment): MW07 Go (essentially my "beater" pair)
Over Ear wireless: Aonic 50
IEM: Shure SE846 (with Dragonfly Cobalt or Qudelix 5K) - usually keep in backpack and use at the office.
Home desktop: Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire

Long story short, I think each serves a purpose. For on the go, it will definitely be TWS as you just cannot beat convenience (for both music and calls).

Nice collection. I am running the Aeon X Closed from Massdrop and love them. Have been thinking about the Open X version as well. I personally find the midfi ($500 ish) the sweet spot for full size cans. Like you, I prefer over ears to IEMs. I can tolerate most TWS because they have a shallow fit. Traditional IEMs with deep fit don't work for me for a variety of reasons. My only question for you is why baby the PI7? They can probably handle workouts and "beater" duty unless it's a fit issue. I've started using the more expensive stuff in all settings because life is short and I'll probably move on from them in 6 months anyway so why bother listening to sub par stuff even for exercise etc. Off track a bit but has anyone seen the new Yamaha ANC headphones? They offer some spatial audio features. I wonder how they might compare to the Aonic, Panda, APM? I'm intrigued but not $500 intrigued.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #36,674 of 61,395
Can I say that as much as I love the sound on these Gemini, I’m a little disappointed in battery life? Probably not a deal breaker, but just saying. Are others getting much more than 4 hours out of right bud?

looking forward to comparing to Sony later today/over weekend, then MW08 should be here Monday. The EQ are incredibly tempting

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #36,675 of 61,395
Can I say that as much as I love the sound on these Gemini, I’m a little disappointed in battery life? Probably not a deal breaker, but just saying. Are others getting much more than 4 hours out of right bud?

looking forward to comparing to Sony later today/over weekend, then MW08 should be here Monday. The EQ are incredibly tempting
I noticed the same. Can almost watch the percent disappear :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back