Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 24, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #36,541 of 62,111
I’ve been using iOS 15 beta and I received 2 warnings for listening to music too loudly for too long. Have any iOS users seen the below in control center, tells you volume db real time?
It may reach out and punch me then :frowning2: They have some headphone safety features in 14 as well, but I have not enabled them. Not quite as detailed as what you have displayed though.

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #36,542 of 62,111
I’ve been using iOS 15 beta and I received 2 warnings for listening to music too loudly for too long. Have any iOS users seen the below in control center, tells you volume db real time?
I have used this as well however it is not as accurate for third-party headphones as it does not know the sensitivity of the headphone. It's just a guess.

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #36,543 of 62,111
I'm in Los Angeles and I got my MW08S in a day. Shipped Fed Ex Home delivery with signature confirmation. It's odd, because I think M&D is based in NY. They must have a warehouse out here.
Yep. Based in NYC. Returns go to NYC. But orders come from the west coast. It's not the west coast that's the problem, its using UPS Ground from the west coast is 5 days. FedEx Ground is a little better. USPS priority would be the best (and the cheapest) but no one seems to use them. Add a day or two to process and you're waiting a week easy.

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #36,544 of 62,111
Yep. Based in NYC. Returns go to NYC. But orders come from the west coast. It's not the west coast that's the problem, its using UPS Ground from the west coast is 5 days. FedEx Ground is a little better. USPS priority would be the best (and the cheapest) but no one seems to use them. Add a day or two to process and you're waiting a week easy.
What seems weird to me is they assigned it a shipping label yesterday…FedEx told me. They just need to hand it to them. Just hand it to the same guy you hand the West Coast orders to. 🤣
But hey, maybe they start processing with the end state

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #36,545 of 62,111
Getting replacement MT tomorrow after sending in my other one for RMA. Hopefully this one doesn't have any issues!

Aug 24, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #36,548 of 62,111
Interesting. Still, better data than I had before. What can the variance be?

from apple:

Collect headphone audio levels​

Connect AirPods, EarPods, and other compatible headphones to your iPhone. The headphone audio levels are automatically sent to Health.
To help improve the accuracy of headphone audio measurements for third-party Bluetooth devices, you should classify them as headphones, speakers, or other devices (iOS 14.4 or later). See Classify your Bluetooth device.
Note: Measurements are most accurate when using Apple or Beats headphones. Audio played through other headphones can be estimated based on the volume of your iPhone.

Aug 24, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #36,549 of 62,111
Unless you're running with AirPods or Beats, it's only going to be an estimate. But make sure to go into the Bluetooth settings, get more info for the BT device you have connected and tell it whether it's a headphone, speaker, car, or other. This existed in iOS 14 as well if I'm not mistaken since I had gotten the warning for using an external BT amplifier with the iPhone. I had the iPhone set to 100% volume with the amp putting out a fraction on it's volume knob. iPhone thought I was playing at 120 dB or something :p iOS 15 does have the realtime display of estimated volume in control center which is really nice IMO, but it's still an estimate.

Aug 24, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #36,550 of 62,111
M&D MW08S - Thoughts after a couple of hours use.

Pros:
- Beautiful looks and build quality.
- Case also looks and feels great, ok size but still the XM4 and APP case is way smaller (and lighter).
- Sound is good, better than Z7 and MTW2 I think, but not spectacular (tested with Foam L and the pre mounted silicone tip).
- They fit me very good and are comfortable to wear.
- I like the buttons, and they control everything. Also volume and ANC/Ambient on/off.
- AAC and AptX Adaptive codecs.
- BT connection with my iPhone 12 is great. No dropouts in any corner of my apartment (when the phone lies in the living room). Far better than the XM4.
- Nice set of tips included (will try different tips I have tomorrow).
- I've made a couple of calls, and the people I've talked to said the call quality/mic was good. Loud and clear.
- Did I say they look so nice? :) Like jewelry.
Edit: - No hiss or other annoying noises in use.

Cons:
- Difference in sound with ANC/Ambient on/off and also between the two ANC/Ambient settings. Mostly noticable with the amount of bass.
- Too much bass with "Max ANC" setting and the silicone tips. The included foam tips limit the bass with "Max ANC" to an acceptable level, but then the "Off" and "All day ANC" settings delivers maybe too little bass. It's the same with the two Ambient settings. Difference in bass with those as well. End note; The app needs an EQ!!
- Sony WF-1000XM4, with Final E Type tips, sounds better. Quicker and punchier bass and with no variation in sound with ANC/Ambient on/off.
- Especially with the foam tips, the ANC is inferior to the MTW2/XM4/APP standard. Will try all fitting sizes of silicone tomorrow, and see if they seal more and helps the ANC.
- The audio feedback when changing ANC/Ambient on/off is too cumbersome (is that the right word?). Takes too long to change.
- €349 is expensive...

Any questions? :)

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #36,551 of 62,111
M&D MW08S - Thoughts after a couple of hours use.

Pros:
- Beautiful looks and build quality.
- Case also looks and feels great, ok size but still the XM4 and APP case is way smaller (and lighter).
- Sound is good, better than Z7 and MTW2 I think, but not spectacular (tested with Foam L and the pre mounted silicone tip).
- They fit me very good and are comfortable to wear.
- I like the buttons, and they control everything. Also volume and ANC/Ambient on/off.
- AAC and AptX Adaptive codecs.
- BT connection with my iPhone 12 is great. No dropouts in any corner of my apartment (when the phone lies in the living room). Far better than the XM4.
- Nice set of tips included (will try different tips I have tomorrow).
- I've made a couple of calls, and the people I've talked to said the call quality/mic was good. Loud and clear.
- Did I say they look so nice? :) Like jewelry.
Edit: - No hiss or other annoying noises in use.

Cons:
- Difference in sound with ANC/Ambient on/off and also between the two ANC/Ambient settings. Mostly noticable with the amount of bass.
- Too much bass with "Max ANC" setting and the silicone tips. The included foam tips limit the bass with "Max ANC" to an acceptable level, but then the "Off" and "All day ANC" settings delivers maybe too little bass. It's the same with the two Ambient settings. Difference in bass with those as well. End note; The app needs an EQ!!
- Sony WF-1000XM4, with Final E Type tips, sounds better. Quicker and punchier bass and with no variation in sound with ANC/Ambient on/off.
- Especially with the foam tips, the ANC is inferior to the MTW2/XM4/APP standard. Will try all fitting sizes of silicone tomorrow, and see if they seal more and helps the ANC.
- The audio feedback when changing ANC/Ambient on/off is too cumbersome (is that the right word?). Takes too long to change.
- €349 is expensive...

Any questions? :)
No questions. Thanks for the impressions. Seems consistent with others’. Too bad that they can’t beat the xm4 for sq.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #36,552 of 62,111
I think the signatures are similar yes. But the Gemini takes all the good things about the MT and turns them up to 11. You will get more treble sparkle in the Gemini.
Awesome. Placed my order yesterday and it'll be arriving on Thursday. Let's see whether I'll enjoy these more over the MT. More treble spark would be nice. I usually EQ the upper midrange and treble on MT's app. I just hope the fit on these will be great on my ears, since the sound always change whenever I tilt my head up and down with the MTs. Is there also a set of nice ear tips that people recommend for the Gemini?

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #36,553 of 62,111
Awesome. Placed my order yesterday and it'll be arriving on Thursday. Let's see whether I'll enjoy these more over the MT. More treble spark would be nice. I usually EQ the upper midrange and treble on MT's app. I just hope the fit on these will be great on my ears, since the sound always change whenever I tilt my head up and down with the MTs. Is there also a set of nice ear tips that people recommend for the Gemini?
The eat tips they come with are quite nice - I haven’t felt the need to swap them out.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #36,554 of 62,111
The eat tips they come with are quite nice - I haven’t felt the need to swap them out.
Same here. I use the stock tips. Love them!

Aug 25, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #36,555 of 62,111
As it is with a lot of Head-Fi gear, price doesn't always relate to quality (especially sound quality). The Melomania Touch is a bit of an outlier in a really good way.

Nice comparison and, though I haven't tried the over-ears or the 65t, works say my listening impressions agree with you. That 75t's V can be adjusted with tips, too. I really liked the Crystal for those.

1. Status Between Pro - good tonality, ok timbre and technicalities. Worth it under 100 USD, but not at the currently-advertised $150. My son has these now.

2. Nuarl - missing the boat on these, but they sound like midrange kings.

3. Devialet - don't own, but they sound pretty darn special. Just have to decide if they're worth the cost to you

4. Nura - interesting concept, but no personal experience

5. MT - well, we know where I stand with these. Probably the value champs of everything on this list

Don't think you'll be upset regardless of which you pick.
Some say that status between pro sound better than anything lower than 200 and better than some at 300 or more. What's your top 3 sounding truly wireless iems? Rank them as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back