Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 16, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #35,281 of 62,819
It looks like we’ve got a couple of interesting mid-range releases happening soon:
  • OnePlus Buds Pro (late July)
  • Nothing Ear (1) (late July)
  • Galaxy Buds 2 (mid August)
I just read somewhere (not sure how true it is) on the web that OnePlus had a shipment confiscated because they were JUST like Apple's buds. Might have just been click-bait though.

I also saw an article saying that they could be mostly transparent (design leak, or photoshop?). HERE

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #35,282 of 62,819
I bought mine today too.. pretty dissapointed so far. Bass isnt that good/punchy/textured, imaging is very 2d (but what do you expect at that pricepoint), mids and treble are veiled. Atleast its not offensive in upper mids and treble. Probably going back.

EDIT: I'm curious how you would compare it to the XM4 in tonality. XM4 might be too veiled for me.
No disrespect, your entitled to your opinion but I totally disagree. These are great at there price point and are a keeper for me. I'm not a critical person, if I pop them in and they sound good they are a keeper. I think the bass is pretty tight and the vocals are good but not great but overall acceptable.
I'm totally happy with my purchase and recommend them to anyone!

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #35,283 of 62,819
I just read somewhere (not sure how true it is) on the web that OnePlus had a shipment confiscated because they were JUST like Apple's buds. Might have just been click-bait though.

I also saw an article saying that they could be mostly transparent (design leak, or photoshop?). HERE

I've read that too. if i remember correctly it's just misunderstanding or lack of information from the airport security for thinking that it's an airpod counterfeits

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #35,284 of 62,819
I bought mine today too.. pretty dissapointed so far. Bass isnt that good/punchy/textured, imaging is very 2d (but what do you expect at that pricepoint), mids and treble are veiled. Atleast its not offensive in upper mids and treble. Probably going back.

EDIT: I'm curious how you would compare it to the XM4 in tonality. XM4 might be too veiled for me.

Just my 2 cents, but if they are much different than what you normally listen to, it is IMO that you give them about a week or two. They MAY not sound good even after that, but a lot of times your brain is expecting something and if it is different and you dismiss them out of hand immediately, you might have otherwise liked. I try to give each pair at least two weeks of listening time because I don't want all of mine to sound like each other, I want contrasting (complimenting) pairs for different moods/music.

When I first got the N6Pro, I absolutely hated them (you can search this thread for my comments about them), but after a few weeks, I now really love them for TWS. But, just a suggestion. :)

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #35,285 of 62,819
I've read that too. if i remember correctly it's just misunderstanding or lack of information from the airport security for thinking that it's an airpod counterfeits
Ah! So, click-bait because IIRC the article was titled to make it look like it was a forgone conclusion, and that they were guilty of something. I hadn't seen that it was called a misunderstanding (of course the author left that part out)... :unamused:

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #35,286 of 62,819
Ah! So, click-bait because IIRC the article was titled to make it look like it was a forgone conclusion, and that they were guilty of something. I hadn't seen that it was called a misunderstanding (of course the author left that part out)... :unamused:
Makes perfect sense for a society that tends to only read the headline in the first place.

OnePlus' buds have been pretty hit or miss. I had whatever pair they made right before the TWS (neckband, buds magnetically clicked together and auto-paused) and that was pretty cool, but tuned way out of whack. If you go by reviewer opinions, the original OP Buds are okay-ish, but there's a lot that outperformed it. Trend analysis tells me it'll be more of the same.

We're not their target market for sure.

Jul 16, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #35,287 of 62,819
Jul 17, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #35,289 of 62,819
Just my 2 cents, but if they are much different than what you normally listen to, it is IMO that you give them about a week or two. They MAY not sound good even after that, but a lot of times your brain is expecting something and if it is different and you dismiss them out of hand immediately, you might have otherwise liked. I try to give each pair at least two weeks of listening time because I don't want all of mine to sound like each other, I want contrasting (complimenting) pairs for different moods/music.

When I first got the N6Pro, I absolutely hated them (you can search this thread for my comments about them), but after a few weeks, I now really love them for TWS. But, just a suggestion. :)
You're absolutely right, I used them yesterday the whole day and started to appreciate them more. I will take some time to evaluate them properly and post my impressions here after 1-2 weeks.

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #35,293 of 62,819
I had a few hours of initial listening session with the N6 PRO2 last night and were able to A/B it with the N10 Pro and the N6 PRO.
Using my S20Ultra i was able to do a dual output comparison on 2 pairs of wireless at the same time so a quicks switch is easy. The N6 Pro2 can do 48khz/24bit if your player supports it (mine didn't). Its still early as i was told those need some burn-in but against the N10 Pro the detail and resolution is on par if not a bit more detailed due to the fact the sound stage is smaller and the vocals are forward and in your face like the old N6 Pro. To me N10 Pro music presentation gives you a big 3D image that appears outside the ear like a concert hall while the N6 Pro2 is like going into a music studio listening next to the artist with every detail close and personal, i could pick out new details in the song that wasn't there in the N10 Pro. i think its partly due to the 16k peak which bring out quite a bit of detail but can be annoying at times if there is a lot of drum snares and can sound bright on some tracks. Everything sounds forward and intermate. However the N10 Pro still wins hands down in sound stage, separation and more natural organic presentation of the music. The 3D soundstage of the N10 pro doesn't make it feel like your wearing IEMs.

N6 PRO vs N6 PRO2 i'm comparing a well used N6 pro to a few hours old N6 PRO2 i'm pretty sure sound will change in a week or so. the biggest difference is the BASS its a lot more punchy and deep into the sub bass you can feel it rumble on the PRO2 with out bleeding into the mids. the over all sound stage stayed the same and the vocal presentation is the same forward inside your head position. beside the bass boost the treble has been boosted as well while retaining the warm mids of the old N6 Pro. This boost gives you a lot more detail in songs and will change the warm smooth sound signature of the old N6 Pro to a more dynamic analytical sound. Its like N10 Pro's clarity been superimposed forward with a narrower soundstage so you hear the details close up. The old N6 pro sounds veiled and warm compare to the new. i'm not sure if this is a good thing because some people likes HD600s with their warmer veiled sound signature. with badly recorded or mp3s tracks the N6 Pro2 will not be as good because it picks up the flaws more.

As you guys can see from my sig the headphones i own are all big on sound stage and have a slightly brighter sound signature. I have no experience with expensive IEMS so i can't really relate to them. however, I'm a headphone guy so i can relate the N10 pro to the likes of the Arya in terms of presentation that's why i like it so much. This is my preference, some prefer a more forward and intimate headphone like the he6se/LCD X with lots of resolution and heavier bass the N6 Pro2 would be for you. For $140USD and 10hrs play time it would certainly punch above its weight class.

this is my initial compare so will do a proper write up in a week when i get more time.

Then they must be fantastic because I thought the N6P were some of the most detailed TWS I have heard to date. It was the bass that was a bit wonky to me. Not because it was a bit "lite", but it was just...... weird. I would say that they were pretty neutral except parts of the bass. So would you say that the bass is boosted over the N6P? Eagerly awaiting your thoughts, once you have had time to let them settle?!

oh, then i think you'll love it. A lot more analytical, slightly bright (might get better over time) with a heavy bass.

Any comment on the stage size openness yet? :) Sounds pretty good I think. Seems at least some would like a bit more bass and bass reach from the first Pro.

sound stage is the same. forward presentation of the vocals is the same. yes the bass is pumped up quite a bit and hits a lot harder.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back