Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 29, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #34,741 of 62,440
If you like electronic / dance, the XM4 are fantastic for that. Was listening to some old Massive Attack, Prodigy, Banks and Marian Hill. 😗👌 quite on par with my wired ZN earphones which I love for EDM on the go.
I mean, I do! But I also listen to a lot of other music that I feel like the Sony’s might not be the right earbuds for.
Im leaning less and less towards buying the Sony’s. I really want their functions but I don’t think the sound is for me despite it all based on what I’ve read. I probably wouldn’t dislike it, but I probably wouldn’t love it.

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #34,742 of 62,440
I mean, I do! But I also listen to a lot of other music that I feel like the Sony’s might not be the right earbuds for.
Im leaning less and less towards buying the Sony’s. I really want their functions but I don’t think the sound is for me despite it all based on what I’ve read. I probably wouldn’t dislike it, but I probably wouldn’t love it.
I listen to classical, pop, country, hip hop, jazz, alternative, R&B. I have lypertek tevi, Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro, Noble Falcon Pro, and xm4. I prefer mx4, just on sound quality. Falcon hits harder for bass (mid bass boom) and has more sparkly treble (hybrid setup), but for me xm4 will a little eq adjustment is smooth, cohesive, and still gives enough treble presence to my ears. It has a better overall flow to me than the Noble tws. I liked it with stock tips and no eq, but a boost at 2.5 and a 2db increase in the other upper frequencies, with silicon tips (epro ep01) gave me that overall sound I was hoping for, and it comes together well. The Noble felt more separated in its different frequencies as if there was a cutoff point for each driver/armature. That is my opinion. Very happy

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #34,743 of 62,440
So what BT buds have what you would call a neutral reference kind of sound? And by that I don't mean lean or bass light just not bass boosted or V-shaped that so many seem to aim for. My Airpods Pros I feel have a relatively balanced sound signature with a slight focus on the mids and a balanced bass (assuming they fit your ears). Only talking frequency response here and I'm sure they can be bettered on technicalities like detail retrieval and dynamics etc. I know it also depends on what the reference is - for Harman Target for instance it will probably be some of those models (Samsung, AKG) owned by Harman group (?).

Are Lypertek considered neutral? MTW2? Technics? What about the KEF MU3? Bose QC Buds?
For me, it is the Nuarl N6 Pro. They are even advertised as neutral sounding (which they actually are). They have some of the best detail retrieval that I have heard in a TWS.

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #34,744 of 62,440
I listen to classical, pop, country, hip hop, jazz, alternative, R&B. I have lypertek tevi, Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro, Noble Falcon Pro, and xm4. I prefer mx4, just on sound quality. Falcon hits harder for bass (mid bass boom) and has more sparkly treble (hybrid setup), but for me xm4 will a little eq adjustment is smooth, cohesive, and still gives enough treble presence to my ears. It has a better overall flow to me than the Noble tws. I liked it with stock tips and no eq, but a boost at 2.5 and a 2db increase in the other upper frequencies, with silicon tips (epro ep01) gave me that overall sound I was hoping for, and it comes together well. The Noble felt more separated in its different frequencies as if there was a cutoff point for each driver/armature. That is my opinion. Very happy
Interesting. I just don't like the XM3's sound signature and I know that the XM4 probably sounds better, but the XM3 in hindsight was pretty damn bad to me. It's very energetic but I feel like if I wear eartips that actually make them sit properly it's just a bloated mess with no soundstage, no separation and pretty low on details everywhere across the range. No "sparkle" in the treble either, just very smooth which can of course be a good thing, I just think it sounds "meh" no matter how I EQ the XM3's, but it could absolutely be a case of not getting a good fit.

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #34,745 of 62,440

No problem. Loads of choice out there these days for us consumers which is great, but also at the same time confusing to say the least. For a while, I feel like I have the endgame wired earphones set up and recently wireless with the XM4, but everyone's tastes and ears and hearing are all different, so get what you find engaging! Hunting is part of the fun, but glad I'm out of it, too much time and money required to switch and swap and with some people it's an endless hunt as they'll never be satisfied lol;

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #34,746 of 62,440
Walked into a local store and was surprised to find they have the xm4 in stock. They don't sound dark to me at all even with the stock tips. I use accoustune aet07 tips with them and they sound pretty nice, crisp highs and highly resolving. I'd even say they are quite neutralish sounding. One thing I notice is that in the app, EQ off and a flat manual EQ sounds different. EQ off sounds better and more dynamic.

E313Vz5.jpg

Compared to the M&D mw08, the mw08 sounds darker and has a more mid bass centric boomy sound signature. The mw08 has all controls on the buds, but with the Sony, a choice has to be made between NC/ambient mode or volume control.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #34,747 of 62,440
I know everybody has different tastes, but what is the definitive best sounding true wireless earbud to you? I’m asking everybody in the thread because I’m damn curious.

I tried a few before settling. The Sony are too bass bloated. The Bose are a bit bland. The MTW2 are very nice but had battery issues.
It’s not to say these aren’t ok for their other features but... just not for me. They all are above my “reasonable” price range.

I hated XM3 sound, Bose are ok but my main goal is not ANC or calls. I won’t deal with battery issues. I tried a few others but the package was under par. I’d like to try the mu3, the mw08 and the NFP but I mostly want to listen to music and not overtly focus on the medium by itself. Also need funds to cater for other hobbies.

My take is, this is a VERY fast evolving niche, new and better tech is coming soon (BTLEA/LC3), I’m ALWAYS looking for SQ mostly but do enjoy other features. I wanted ANC and Qi but didn’t get it. I got transparency, good battery, comfortable secure fit and amazing sound... for 130€. I searched for the better package, the best implementation, the best price/quality compromise. I got the above par option.

True, I had a few issues with connectivity at first, but these have been long solved. The sound even improved. I’m happy.

(maybe I’ll invest when this evolves a bit more. For now, I own over-ears, IEM’s and TWS which I am enjoying)

I got the Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch!

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #34,749 of 62,440
I tried a few before settling. The Sony are too bass bloated. The Bose are a bit bland. The MTW2 are very nice but had battery issues.
It’s not to say these aren’t ok for their other features but... just not for me. They all are above my “reasonable” price range.

I hated XM3 sound, Bose are ok but my main goal is not ANC or calls. I won’t deal with battery issues. I tried a few others but the package was under par. I’d like to try the mu3, the mw08 and the NFP but I mostly want to listen to music and not overtly focus on the medium by itself. Also need funds to cater for other hobbies.

My take is, this is a VERY fast evolving niche, new and better tech is coming soon (BTLEA/LC3), I’m ALWAYS looking for SQ mostly but do enjoy other features. I wanted ANC and Qi but didn’t get it. I got transparency, good battery, comfortable secure fit and amazing sound... for 130€. I searched for the better package, the best implementation, the best price/quality compromise. I got the above par option.

True, I had a few issues with connectivity at first, but these have been long solved. The sound even improved. I’m happy.

(maybe I’ll invest when this evolves a bit more. For now, I own over-ears, IEM’s and TWS which I am enjoying)

I wanna see a comparo Touch vs. the Sabbat E16.:) They are both about the same things good shape/fit and SQ. Sabbat does have Qi and both have 7 hours battery and only do up to aptX. One is IPX4 and the other IPX5. Both seem solid but not the best on the connection stability.

Jun 29, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #34,750 of 62,440

What battery issues did you have with the MTW2?
Also, what's your take on the sound quality on the Melomania Touch vs the MTW2? They used to be on my shortlist of earbuds I wanted to check out but I think it's a difficult product to get into because on paper there's nothing that stands out to me, no insane specs, a kinda bland design, lacking in some features... but the sound is supposed to be amazing. But when you can't try it first it gets tougher to make that purchase.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #34,751 of 62,440
No problem. Loads of choice out there these days for us consumers which is great, but also at the same time confusing to say the least. For a while, I feel like I have the endgame wired earphones set up and recently wireless with the XM4, but everyone's tastes and ears and hearing are all different, so get what you find engaging! Hunting is part of the fun, but glad I'm out of it, too much time and money required to switch and swap and with some people it's an endless hunt as they'll never be satisfied lol;
Haha the thing is that I don't really find it fun right now, only stressful lmao.
Without getting into my life story I'm not exactly financially stable and won't be for awhile, but I have more money to spend right now than I will the rest of the year and probably next... so I want to make the best purchase possible, and since I don't have the opportunity to test out earbuds and return them if I dislike them I just spend way too many hours each day reading and watching peoples opinions and comparisons, and hopefully hearing somebody echo the opinions that I have so I feel like I can make a more educated guess on if I will like a set of earbuds. So finding new earbuds and reading about them is super fun, but this sort of "endgame chasing" that i'm doing right now isn't too fun. When I make a decision I second guess it and then i'm back to square one.

I can buy a cheaper pair of earbuds and be moderately pleased with it, like i'm super pleased with the SoundPeats T2 I just got in the mail yesterday, but i'm pleased FOR THE PRICE. They're not endgame material however, and I bought them as a cheap but competent backup pair to whatever I decide on buying, but I get EXTREMELY picky and uncertain when i'm buying something expensive. I narrowed down a list of maybe 10 earbuds and now i'm down to mostly two, but there isn't one option that strikes me as "the one". If Sennheiser had released the MTW3 with updated sound quality or even the same quality but also packed a smaller more convenient case, better ANC and qi-charging i'd be running down to the store and buying them right away.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #34,754 of 62,440
APTX question, in all the APTX buds I've tried, I get audible distortion above 13k. If I force the phone to use AAC through developer options, it goes away. It also presents at frequncies above the earphone's representation capabilities. Try the test here on a device that supports APTX and let me know what you think. Any ideas? Is it just psychoacoustic compression?
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php
Can I be annoying and bring this up again? You can also try on spotify

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #34,755 of 62,440
Love that the LDAC train is rolling now. Took long enough.
Actually those are LHDC. :) That train is rolling as well and has some interesting members like Senn, 1More, AT, FiiO, Edifier, HiFiman, and Dunu.

Though Edifier claiming they are the first Hi-Res certified ANC wireless? XM4 anyone? China companies and their claims lol!

From the wiki: On 2 September 2018 the Hi-Res Wireless Audio (HWA) Union was formed to promote LHDC adoption.[8] Also known as the HWA Alliance. The HWA Union Board of Directors includes:

Other HWA Union members include:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back