Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #34,726 of 62,086
AirPod pro still a decent bet for iPhone and iPad use? Got the xm3 but switching between the two is a bit of a faff?

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #34,727 of 62,086
Feeling the itch for something new, currently looking at the Lypertek Pureplay Z3 2.0, Noble Falcon 2 and Melomania Touch because they're all similarly priced but they all seem to have some downsides.

I've not really seen many opinions on the Lypertek's, sounds like they might be quite dark sounding? The Falcon 2 there's also not tons of info on so I'm not even sure what the sound signature is. The Melomania Touch sound like they'd be the best sounding but the connectivity issues are offputting. Any thoughts from anyone who's heard any of them?
The Falcon 2 are just Falcon 1 with an upgraded BT chipset and case (according to specs and the info on Noble's site). I really do enjoy the Falcon 1, more so than I mention here. Great 1-DD model.

Can't speak on the Lypertek, but what you decide between the other two is a matter of personal taste. I'd say take a look at the kind of bass you want and that should direct you between the MT or the Falcon. MT is a much wetter, more saturated bass that blooms (but pleasantly) into the mids. Think boom more than thwack. If you want thwack, I suggest the Noble instead. Treble on the MT is also considerably more rolled off than the Falcon, but I find each works well given your mood and preferred genre. The Falcon 1 would get my suggestion for a better all-rounder with more stability, even if I do love the MT's signature; I'd rather have the Falcon's stability if I were only able to have one pair.

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #34,728 of 62,086
The Lypertek's have an excellent sound quality and now have a genuinely useful app to go with them. I'm still using the original Tevi's (these are actually the same model). They are loud, waterproof, have excellent battery, decent EQ controls, have a nice size case and no bells and whistles - just really good quality pure sound.

Oh, BTW - they also offer full control - including volume.

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #34,729 of 62,086
Has anyone tried out the Beats Studio Buds? Reviews have been dripping here and there the past few days, was curious if anyone has anything positive to say as well? It seems reviews floating around mentioned it's actually pretty good.

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #34,730 of 62,086
I really hope I like the Melomania Touch. I should have mine tomorrow or the next day. Hopefully with some minor EQ within the app I'll love them.

It seems Melomania Touch priority is sound quality, and I've heard and read reviews saying the sound quality punches above it's price. From how people are describing them, I should like them. Otherwise my next try will be the WF-1000XM4, but I know I'll have to EQ them cause they are dark.
The MT are not totally dark per se'. They have a much boosted bass, but it does not impede the mids at all. It is very addicting, in that it is very large, but also very tight and fast (almost planar(ish)). Mids are only a bit recessed, and I would call them almost airy up top, having plenty of sparkle. I hate overdone bass, but have found (since the last FW update) that I don't need (nor desire) any EQ with these. If you do, their app is so simple (and actually really effective) to use.

You are right, they prioritize sound over most everything else. They seemed to have gotten rid of most of the bugs, but the touch controls are very sensitive, and fitment can be a real issue, depending on your ear size, and make-up. Hear-through mode works fairly well, but since the last FW update, I hear a bit of telephony quality to the sounds now. It is plenty loud though. It is my opinion that they indeed do punch above their price point, by some margin IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #34,731 of 62,086
So what BT buds have what you would call a neutral reference kind of sound? And by that I don't mean lean or bass light just not bass boosted or V-shaped that so many seem to aim for. My Airpods Pros I feel have a relatively balanced sound signature with a slight focus on the mids and a balanced bass (assuming they fit your ears). Only talking frequency response here and I'm sure they can be bettered on technicalities like detail retrieval and dynamics etc. I know it also depends on what the reference is - for Harman Target for instance it will probably be some of those models (Samsung, AKG) owned by Harman group (?).

Are Lypertek considered neutral? MTW2? Technics? What about the KEF MU3? Bose QC Buds?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #34,732 of 62,086
So what BT buds have what you would call a neutral reference kind of sound? And by that I don't mean lean or bass light just not bass boosted or V-shaped that so many seem to aim for. My Airpods Pros I feel have a relatively balanced sound signature with a slight focus on the mids and a balanced bass (assuming they fit your ears). Only talking frequency response here and I'm sure they can be bettered on technicalities like detail retrieval and dynamics etc. I know it also depends on what the reference is - for Harman Target for instance it will probably be some of those models (Samsung, AKG) owned by Harman group (?).

Are Lypertek considered neutral? MTW2? Technics? What about the KEF MU3?
The Technics are close, but there's a little bit of a Hi-Fi tune for excitement that you can hear on certain tracks, so I wouldn't call it a true neutral.

If you believe the MTW2 and CX400BT have the same signature, it's boosted bass and mids with an early treble roll-off. If you listen in stereo only, it gives you a great diffuse field, but to me sounds way off when you only have one ear in. I blame it on psychoacoustic tricks to simulate a larger stage size.

My honest pick would be the UEs. Spend some extra time working on the seal when you first get them, but I think those are really where it's at.

Jun 29, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #34,733 of 62,086
Jun 29, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #34,734 of 62,086
Feeling the itch for something new, currently looking at the Lypertek Pureplay Z3 2.0, Noble Falcon 2 and Melomania Touch because they're all similarly priced but they all seem to have some downsides.

I've not really seen many opinions on the Lypertek's, sounds like they might be quite dark sounding? The Falcon 2 there's also not tons of info on so I'm not even sure what the sound signature is. The Melomania Touch sound like they'd be the best sounding but the connectivity issues are offputting. Any thoughts from anyone who's heard any of them?
The Lypertek PurePlay Z3 2.0 are actually not dark. I'd say they follow (roughly) the Harman target curve with a bit of added bass and a bit less upper midrange emphasis. Sure, that means they're quite darker than the first model, the Tevi, but it's still not in my definition of "dark" - they're quite enjoyable. From a technical standpoint, they have amazing detail for the price and very good instrument separation. I would say they almost compare to similarly-priced wired earphones in terms of pure sound quality, which really is surprising.

Are Lypertek considered neutral? MTW2? Technics? What about the KEF MU3? Bose QC Buds?
I really, really liked the Shanling MTW300. They're amazing for the price. They're not perfectly neutral, but they surely are not bass boosted or V-shaped. Considering the first-gen Lypertek Tevi is on its way out, I'd say the MTW300 are the best pick in the currently-available devices.

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #34,735 of 62,086
I know everybody has different tastes, but what is the definitive best sounding true wireless earbud to you? I’m asking everybody in the thread because I’m damn curious.

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #34,737 of 62,086
I know everybody has different tastes, but what is the definitive best sounding true wireless earbud to you? I’m asking everybody in the thread because I’m damn curious.
For me it's the Cambridge Audio Melomania touch (out of all TWS I've tested), they even sound better than earbuds costing twice as much.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #34,738 of 62,086
Top 3 I've tried are master and dynamic mw08 / kef mu3 / oppo Enco X (with default eq changed as it sucks oob) - they are all pretty close to me but oppo won me over for form factor and Lhdc/anc.... I returned the mw08 and kept the kef but I never use them. There are some really good non ANC sounding TWS like the Cambridge audio MT - I just want it all. Curious about the new sonys and b&w buds but they look kind of large.

Jun 29, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #34,739 of 62,086
I found a set of Sennheiser MTW2 for $200 new and sealed, but I might have a chance at grabbing the WF-1000XM4 for around $220 if I wait a bit... none of them can be returned in any way after purchase though since Amazon is the only store that offers returns like that where i'm at.

I feel like the Sennys won't have quite enough bass to satisfy the part of me that likes heavy electronic music and really enjoys some heavy bass rumbles from time to time, and I feel like the Sony's won't satisfy the part of me that wants a huge sound with big soundstage and some really nice sparkle in the upper mids and highs for more ambient and atmospheric music... Can somebody create a Sonyheiser Momentum WF-1000TW2-Frankenstein hybrid for me?

If you like electronic / dance, the XM4 are fantastic for that. Was listening to some old Massive Attack, Prodigy, Banks and Marian Hill. 😗👌 quite on par with my wired ZN earphones which I love for EDM on the go.

Jun 29, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #34,740 of 62,086
I was thinking of buying a second pair of Mpow M30 so I can switch between each pair when the battery needs charging, as the battery life is only about 4 to 5 hours.

However, I want more weight and authority with the bass. The overall sound on the M30 is excellent and detailed with nice enough bass, but the bass isn't on the same level as my wired ibasso buds. So I'm considering Soundpeats Sonic, Soundpeats T2, Edifier TWS1 Pro which all have longer battery life, particularly the Sonic with 12+ hours.

Can anyone recommend which of those would have the nicest sound, weighty and punchy bass, good comfort, don't fall out and have SBC codec? SBC gives me great AV sync so I'm not sure if any buds without SBC would give me more latency.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back