Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #34,262 of 62,555

Attachments

• MJ503_FV502.png
    MJ503_FV502.png
    535 KB · Views: 0
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #34,263 of 62,555
Anyone planning on ordering the Beats ($150)? Just checked out Flossy's video and I really like the form factor. Keen to hear impressions from someone here.

I am currently debating whether to purchase the 1) XM4's, 2) MW08's or 3) Cambridge MT (home/office/walk) + Beats (gym). Leaning Sony so far.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #34,264 of 62,555
150 bucks seems like a very low price. I wonder how the ANC and SQ is compared to the APP. 8 hour battery life seems really good too. Hopefully when Apple updates the APP they could get a bigger battery in there to match :)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #34,266 of 62,555
I'm intrigued with the Studio Buds due to the shape looking ergonomic for running. Also the case is compact like APP. Definitely don't like the Beats logo and the red color. I'm more interested in these than the XM4 due to the ergonomics. I don't like the bulk on the XM4. As good ANC as APP would be a big bonus.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #34,267 of 62,555
I'm intrigued with the Studio Buds due to the shape looking ergonomic for running. Also the case is compact. Definitely don't like the Beats logo and the red color.

Can’t help you with the Beats logo. But it’s available in black and white. I’m debating dropping some coin on the black one. 14 day return policy too. No monthly installment plan available like normal AirPods though.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #34,268 of 62,555
The Sony's too dark for me, mostly bass no mid/highs, imagine listening to Mozart or Enya with a basshead's earphones even then it is muddy, I cannot get on with them.

Tried Sony EQ no EQ then same on different Music Players with their own EQ's and on PC and Android Mobile phone.

IMO earphones should not need tuned that is what an EQ is for, let the speakers play the sound as it is good or bad but I know they can be unforgiving with poor quality files so probably why they tune them many go for that V shape which does sound ok TBH.
Tip dependent. I bought epro horn shape tips, not the short tws ones. The upper mids and treble are shining through. Sony have a warmer Natural presence and the provided tips further enhance that. The Epro tips provide a more balanced sig giving better detail. Iems can often gain little editions from from specified tip materials

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #34,269 of 62,555
Can’t help you with the Beats logo. But it’s available in black and white. I’m debating dropping some coin on the black one. 14 day return policy too. No monthly installment plan available like normal AirPods though.
Agree the form factor looks like the biggest draw here. Probably very nice for active use.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #34,272 of 62,555
How are the CA MT when it comes to stability and fit? The rave reviews of SQ have me interested.
They have a shallow, wider tip, so if that is something you think would work for you, then they are very stable and very comfortable. If, however, like me, you prefer longer tips, and deeper insertion, you will have fitment issues until you replace the stock tips. I found the Spinfit CP360 to work best for my ears. They are pretty comfortable, and very stable.

The other issue is if you try normal IEM tips they will be too long to make a connection in the charging box. This is why I ended up with the CP360. I prefer the Final Type E for the extra tackiness, but those make them too long to fit the charger. YMMV but I have also read that @miserybeforethemusic likes the Final TWS (like the Type E, especially made for TWS) for the MT.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #34,273 of 62,555
They have a shallow, wider tip, so if that is something you think would work for you, then they are very stable and very comfortable. If, however, like me, you prefer longer tips, and deeper insertion, you will have fitment issues until you replace the stock tips. I found the Spinfit CP360 to work best for my ears. They are pretty comfortable, and very stable.

The other issue is if you try normal IEM tips they will be too long to make a connection in the charging box. This is why I ended up with the CP360. I prefer the Final Type E for the extra tackiness, but those make them too long to fit the charger. YMMV but I have also read that @miserybeforethemusic likes the Final TWS (like the Type E, especially made for TWS) for the MT.
Thanks. I ordered a set to try. Can always return them. High expectations given the praise around here.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #34,274 of 62,555
How are the CA MT when it comes to stability and fit? The rave reviews of SQ have me interested.
Could have sworn you had one by now. It's significantly better once you figure out which wing and tip size works best for you. Using the Sedna Crystal and Small fins, they don't budge in my ears for hours on end. Worn this way, however, the bottom end of the bud looks like it's protruding more than it should. That's intentional; fully inserted, the microphone would be obscured and you probably wouldn't sound too great over the phone. The Final TWS tips that @samandhi mentioned also work very well, though they may not be as bike-friendly once sweat starts building up.

SQ, relative to some of your top-tier TWS, may be a little lacking and is a slight step behind the ADV (in my opinion), particularly when it comes to the way each set represents midrange content. That being said, I think the MT's features more than make up for the gap.

For what it's worth (and I'm not sure how much of the in-between I can discuss), I have been working with Cambridge to get added onto the beta testing team for MT firmware updates. It's a slow burn, but making headway and I figured there would be a pretty significant value add for being a liaison between here and the Cambridge dev team. While I haven't signed any NDAs at the moment, the nature of my day job has taught me the importance of "company confidential" information. That means if I don't answer some of your questions right away, it's probably because:
  • I'm not allowed to talk about it yet
  • I have reached out to the dev team for an answer and haven't yet received one
  • You have managed to ask a question/presented a problem that has caused all of us to scratch our collective heads
It's a fantastic opportunity, for which I'm tremendously grateful, but I want to do this right and have no idea how long it will last. Do remember I still have a day job as well.

Jun 14, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #34,275 of 62,555
Yea I agree, the Melomania touch kinda reminds me of the Shure Aonic 50, perfect SQ-wise/comfort, that pushes way above its price tag, but with a lackluster technical experience.

If CA can launch the next iteration without any bugs/connection issues with decent ANC-functionallity and Bluetooth LC3... I'd buy it in an instant. The case itself wasn't really that great build quality wise, I wouldn't mind a slight price increase compared if they gave us ANC and a better case.
It would probably pop up the price to around high-200s like the xm4. I don't think CA was targeting that audience with the MT. They probably wanted to challenge the mid-range TWS in the 100s range. If they didn't have so many issues on launch, I think they might have won that below $200 range easily.

Sq and comfort on MT were as good as earbuds in the mid to high-200s range imo. I tried the Sony xm3, AZ70 and cx400bt (which has similar sound quality to the MTW2) - I thought MT beat all 3 in sound quality and comfort department easily. Cx400bt might be the cheapest, but MT also had more features & ipx4 over the cx400bt to be worth the extra $30 back in January.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back