Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 14, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #34,276 of 62,403
Tip dependent. I bought epro horn shape tips, not the short tws ones. The upper mids and treble are shining through. Sony have a warmer Natural presence and the provided tips further enhance that. The Epro tips provide a more balanced sig giving better detail. Iems can often gain little editions from from specified tip materials

I have tried various tips (would help if it was lack of bass) but nothing is going make these sound decent to me and longer tips make them stick out at to so not ideal.

All other issue esp. battery they are a no go for ,me and nice now real users comments from buyers are appearing on Amazon UK/US not YT reviewers some of whom just say anything to get the views.

Those tip are new to me and 14mm so good for my large canals but not in stock UK and I am not going to order from US just to try fix these Sony's as I know it will be a waste of time/money.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #34,277 of 62,403
How are the CA MT when it comes to stability and fit? The rave reviews of SQ have me interested.
Very stable with the fins on, but I don't find the fins comfortable. I use MT without the fins. Still very stable without the fins but not something to go workout with. I don't workout with them and use them in the house or while lying down late at night listening to music when family is asleep (I'm a nighthawk!). If you want to workout with them, best to use with the fins.

Fit is great with or without the fins for me.

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #34,278 of 62,403
Tip dependent. I bought epro horn shape tips, not the short tws ones. The upper mids and treble are shining through. Sony have a warmer Natural presence and the provided tips further enhance that. The Epro tips provide a more balanced sig giving better detail. Iems can often gain little editions from from specified tip materials
May I ask which ones of these epro's and size you are referring to? And, do they still fit in the case?

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #34,279 of 62,403
With the Studio Buds, I'm hoping for it to have punchier bass, and larger sound stage, and just better sound than APP in general. We'll see.

Interestingly, the description on Apple's website makes no mention of the W1 or H1 chip, and it says "One-touch pairing requires iOS 14.6 or later," which suggests there is no such chip. That means this earphone may not have (or probably doesn't have) some of the associated Apple ecosystem benefits, such as automatic pairing with other Apple devices, automatic switching, automatic spatial audio, head tracking, etc. On the other hand, it's a Class 1 device, so range should be good.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #34,280 of 62,403
Interestingly, the description on Apple's website makes no mention of the W1 or H1 chip, and it says "One-touch pairing requires iOS 14.6 or later," which suggests there is no such chip. That means this earphone may not have (or probably doesn't have) some of the associated Apple ecosystem benefits, such as automatic pairing with other Apple devices, automatic switching, automatic spatial audio, head tracking, etc. On the other hand, it's a Class 1 device, so range should be good.
They are opening these up for Android users as well, so you are correct. None of those Apple ecosystem perks. For an Android user, difference isn't that significant. You get the software app. They could have put in the W1 or H1 chip and still provide the app for the Android users. With the APP, Android users can still use it, but they just don't have the app.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #34,281 of 62,403
Yeah, they did this to eat into the Android market. There's a Beats app for Android users. The APP2 are rumored to be stemless and will have all the above. But who knows when they'll be released. I just bought the Beats to test out with my iPhone/Apple gear. We shall see...

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #34,282 of 62,403
I'm curious what they mean by "one-touch pairing." But I'm not going to make any assumptions about what they do and don't have until someone tests it themselves (in and out of the Apple ecosystem).

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #34,283 of 62,403
The Earin's are great. I've had every generation. I'm not an open earbuds guy, but these are cool. Some days when I'm out at a park with my toddler I leave them in to listen to baseball games or music. I can hear everything around me, including his screams of joy while running or pain when he falls. I forget they're in, like today. Was sitting at home and realized they were still in my ears. Super tiny. Case is tiny. Not the best sounding unless you crank them, but if you're looking for a low profile, easily unseen, able to use each earbud independently earbud -- they're worth a shot.
The Earin's are great. I've had every generation. I'm not an open earbuds guy, but these are cool. Some days when I'm out at a park with my toddler I leave them in to listen to baseball games or music. I can hear everything around me, including his screams of joy while running or pain when he falls. I forget they're in, like today. Was sitting at home and realized they were still in my ears. Super tiny. Case is tiny. Not the best sounding unless you crank them, but if you're looking for a low profile, easily unseen, able to use each earbud independently earbud -- they're worth a shot.
@zeebee45 you might want to check out the new Beats Studio Buds announced today by Apple instead of the Earin A-3. Better seal for better sound and oddly enough they look to have very suspiciously similar form factor. Earin's are prob smaller though. I'm definitely going to try the Beats.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #34,284 of 62,403
Yeah, they did this to eat into the Android market. There's a Beats app for Android users. The APP2 are rumored to be stemless and will have all the above. But who knows when they'll be released. I just bought the Beats to test out with my iPhone/Apple gear. We shall see...
I don't really mind being stem-less. I really don't like the look of the stem, but I did find it useful with the squeeze buttons on the stem. If they can keep it at the size of the APP without a stem with better battery life performance, that would be feat I can only see Apple achieving (If I look at how bulky Sony and Sennheiser ear-pieces are).

Question is, how will they implement that button in place of what the stem used to do?

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #34,285 of 62,403
I don't really mind being stem-less. I really don't like the look of the stem, but I did find it useful with the squeeze buttons on the stem. If they can keep it at the size of the APP without a stem with better battery life performance, that would be feat I can only see Apple achieving (If I look at how bulky Sony and Sennheiser ear-pieces are).

Question is, how will they implement that button in place of what the stem used to do?
I LOVE stemless. Hate the Q-tip look. The Earin A-3 look like the Beats but with a touch pad for controls. Beats have a button where the B is that you press. I'll bet the APP have a touch sensor like the first and second gen. Or who know, they may elect to not reinvent the wheel and just keep the ugly stem :) It's Apple, they always do what they want and folks who drank the Kool Aid follow along.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #34,286 of 62,403

That's a very good question. I actually really liked how Apple did the touch controls for the APP since it was pressure based with feedback. With touch controls I always have difficulty determining where the touch surface starts and ends; accidental touches also become a thing too. I am curious how the controls will work with the Beats. Though the way the Beats work may not be related to how any update to the APP will be; I'm unsure how connected the Beats audio team is to the Apple audio team as Apple has a history of keeping their teams separate.

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #34,287 of 62,403
That's a very good question. I actually really liked how Apple did the touch controls for the APP since it was pressure based with feedback. With touch controls I always have difficulty determining where the touch surface starts and ends; accidental touches also become a thing too. I am curious how the controls will work with the Beats. Though the way the Beats work may not be related to how any update to the APP will be; I'm unsure how connected the Beats audio team is to the Apple audio team as Apple has a history of keeping their teams separate.
Also, I saw on the review of Beats Studio Buds that it's a press button. I don't like pressing in an iem with a button because it may shift the way the iem is inserted in terms of fit. That's what I liked about squeezing the stem. You don't push the iem, but only squeeze stem.

To me, it seems like Beats and Apple have different design teams. The reviews are saying that the ANC isn't as good as APP. This might be the result of different teams involved.

It is also $100 cheaper.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #34,288 of 62,403
Also, I saw on the review of Beats Studio Buds that it's a press button. I don't like pressing in an iem with a button because it may shift the way the iem is inserted in terms of fit. That's what I liked about squeezing the stem. You don't push the iem, but only squeeze stem.

To me, it seems like Beats and Apple have different design teams. The reviews are saying that the ANC isn't as good as APP. This might be the result of different teams involved.

It is also $100 cheaper.
I would assume (granted with no real good proof) that the teams are separate. I was curious about the ANC performance, but I also wasn't expecting it to be as good as the APP based on price alone. If it was as good, I'd question the SQ or some other corner that needed to be cut to meet the 150 dollar price point.

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #34,289 of 62,403
Hey I’m glad you like them. I tested them using iPhone 12 Pro Max AAC.

When I tried the included foam tips, the sound was really quiet. Even with my favorite tips (the Acoustone’s), it didn’t get very loud and I’m not even really into loud music.

Listening again over weekend and I think the 10s keep getting better, no problem at all with volume, such a fun listen and I've gotten a good foam fit and using wings now. I wonder if you had a defective set or if they just sound worse on IPhone vs Android ?

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #34,290 of 62,403
May I ask which ones of these epro's and size you are referring to? And, do they still fit in the case?
epro horn shaped tips ep01, 4.7mm inner. blueish package, 2 pairs. I'm generally a medium in most tips. i get a good seal, good treble response, as well as low end. this case will fit most tips seeing as the tips that come with the xm4 are not tws specific tips. the case is deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back