Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 9, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #34,036 of 63,214
Does the xm4 allow single bud usage with either of the buds? If you turn off the ANC, put it in the case and take them out, does ANC turn on by default, or it remembers its last state and remains off? These are deal breakers for me. Thanks.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #34,037 of 63,214
Something that I caught, on first connection the headphones default to "Priority on Stable Connection", which is AAC. If you switch to "Priority on Sound Quality", it switches to LDAC.
I believe the balanced option uses LDAC too at like 660kbps. Read in one of the reviews. I don't know what the difference is in sq - I never used LDAC.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #34,038 of 63,214
Well if you listening to non HD it will be fine, even go lower down to the 330k setting if your music is CD quality MP3/Flac instead of hammering battery for it to be upscaled via the Sony App to 660/990.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #34,039 of 63,214
monster...indeed...recruiters...sweating...can't miss a beat when i upload my resume. haha. sorry.

Shame so far on the sony's. Still dont need another pair of TWS, yet i want one.
Totally random but I’ve had good success job searching on Dice in addition to Indeed. I started using Salesforce on my iPhone to track leads, interviews, etc :)

Jun 9, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #34,040 of 63,214
So I have the XM4's and I've listen them for about 20 minutes to make some first impressions:

First thing, YMMV, but they fit MUCH better than the XM3's. They are not the most comfortable TWS I've ever wore (Damn you MT. Damn you all to hell), but they are more secure and I can get a better seal with the foam tips more consistently. For my admittedly large ear holes, they sit flatter than the XM3, and I would say they actually are in my ear a tiny bit shallower than the XM3. However, they are still rather large, they're no Galaxy Buds Pro.

The case is a little more than half the height of the XM3 case, about 25% less long, and very slightly less wide. The case opening is pretty loose, but open it far enough, and it clicks and locks open. Much more portable.

IMG_20210608_213353.jpg

So the bad news first: If you use the app to get the optimal "wearing condition" to get the best seal to have the most efficient ANC, these things are bass monsters. Also, the mids are weirdly tuned out of the box, and the treble roll off is considerable. They are very dark, very much the Sony house sound.

However, the EQ does work pretty well. It's not the most granular I've ever seen, but it does make a difference. This is the settings I'm currently using based on the measurements that SoundGuys posted on their review to try and even out some of the peaks and valleys.:

Screenshot_20210608-211601.jpg

It tames the booming bass quite well, and makes it sound much less darker than before. I'm still tweaking things as I hear more. Again, your YMMV dependent on your listening preferences.

Overall, the tech and form factors are so much better than the XM3. Sound wise, due to the improved fit, I actually like them even if I have to tweak the EQ to tame the bass.

Edit: Also a tip for those that are getting it: Update your sony headphone app. The fast pairing didn't work for me at first, until I updated the app.

Edit 2: I ended up boosting the 6.3k and 16k to +2 and +3 respectively. But I think for me, it's the 6.3k is the one I'm going to be tweaking the most, it's the one that is sounding "off" for me dependent on what music I'm listening to. Haven't figure the best level for me yet.
Another tip, since I couldn't get mine to connect even after making sure the app was updated. I had a VPN/Adblock connected. Had to whitelist the Sony Headphones app.

Jun 9, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #34,042 of 63,214
Mine should be here within the next couple hours. Gonna put them on and mess about, tweak my LDAC settings in developer options as well, and take them on a nice long dog walk too. I only have the MTW2 to compare them to, although I've had and tried the MT, the higher end Technics and the higher end JBL club pro plus.

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #34,043 of 63,214
Jun 9, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #34,044 of 63,214
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #34,045 of 63,214
Hey guys, I've just posted the official Sony WF-1000XM4 impressions thread here. Please feel free to drop in and share your impressions. Don't stop talking about it here on my account, just thought an important release like this needs its own thread too.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #34,046 of 63,214
Wow finally LDAC!

The Holy grail.for hi res fans.

Let me know how it goes!

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #34,047 of 63,214
So tempting… I love the N6P; its only weakness is the lack of ANC.

Does the N10P sound better? How’s the Noise Canceling?

I wish they had Aptx HD/LL and LDAC
The ANC is perfectly fine for regular low frequency noise reduction, traffic and such, am loving the sound, rich and full once you get a good fit, which the foam seems to yield. No fatigue issues which I get with many other sets, I love the N6p to this day, I like these more I do think both nuarl sets are so much more musical and less cold and mechanical sounding than alternatives, they are fun to listen to and engaging. They look a bit big in the photos but I don't really notice the heft when wearing, I'm not using the wings.

Given that it's prime, well worth giving them a try IMO to see what you reckon ? They are only set I'm using right now. Battery has been fine in my listening but I normally don't go for multi hour sessions.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #34,048 of 63,214
The ANC is perfectly fine for regular low frequency noise reduction, traffic and such, am loving the sound, rich and full once you get a good fit, which the foam seems to yield. No fatigue issues which I get with many other sets, I love the N6p to this day, I like these more I do think both nuarl sets are so much more musical and less cold and mechanical sounding than alternatives, they are fun to listen to and engaging. They look a bit big in the photos but I don't really notice the heft when wearing, I'm not using the wings.

Given that it's prime, well worth giving them a try IMO to see what you reckon ? They are only set I'm using right now. Battery has been fine in my listening but I normally don't go for multi hour sessions.
Ha awesome. They’re arriving tomorrow :) thanks for letting me know about them being on Amazon - I’ve wanted these for months!

Jun 9, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #34,049 of 63,214
I was planning to hold out on the XM4s, but if the ANC can compete with over-ears and the battery life is even close to the claimed 8 hours with ANC, then these would be ideal for working from home, and the wait would not worth whatever ($50?) the price may go down. @clerkpalmer I'm especially interested to know what you think of the XM4s ANC vs the Devialet Gemini, as not many others have them.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #34,050 of 63,214

Users who are viewing this thread

Back