Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 8, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #33,976 of 63,213
Man… now I have 3 options to try to pick from :)

really tempted to go Euclid + Fiio
There are a lot of choices. Right now I've only used the UTWS3 and TRN. The Shure is a bit pricey and I haven't play with the iBasso. The Euclid can be a bit finicky with source.

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #33,979 of 63,213
From measurements I'd probably say veiled might be a good way to describe the bass. But I haven't heard them, but basing that one the small snippets of that Ars review.

I think Sony is the first to do this one. Apple does have a new upcoming feature that will isolate all sound except the person talking in front of you though which seems pretty cool. No auto-pause for that though.
Thanks. One thing I’m not sure on is if it activates when someone talks to you, or if it only activates when you talk?

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #33,980 of 63,213
More likely when the wearer speaks, using the bike conducting mic, if not the might be lots of false positivesm

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #33,982 of 63,213
More likely when the wearer speaks, using the bike conducting mic, if not the might be lots of false positivesm
That might be problematic... Both false positives and false negatives would be no fun. I kind of had that issue with the head detection on my B&W PX. Was kind of annoying.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #33,983 of 63,213
Yes it's a concern, I meant to write "bone conducting" of course.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #33,985 of 63,213
I’ve spent a small fortune trying to find the “perfect” biking tws. So far I keep coming up empty. Either fit issues, wind noise or both. I realize that over 20mph or so wind is going to be an issue nevertheless I’m still on the hunt.

so the new Jaybird claims they have “wind defense”. Does anyone think this is a real thing? They are pricey for bike only buds but I am intrigued.

Still have to put forth the JVC HA-AE5T. Best earphone I have had for wind noise. Sweet fit as I just push them in and they stick there more than any other TWS. Sound is solid and they have on board bass boost good for use with the eambient tips for running. Not the top sound though. The Victor is a better sounding TWS and the AT is as well but not by much. Still nice sounding but okay for the $150 price but perfectly tuned for sports/active stuff. Issues I have is noise on the hear through as the mics should have been better. I always go back to them and they sound better than I give them credit for but they are a keeper for how they handle being a runners earphone and can deal with either wind and footstep noise. Still, you get better sound for less than the $150 but you can't get the other stuff so you kind of pay for the good touch controls and fit and being good with wind and runners thud.

This Sony XM4 sound is actually making me more happy buying the Sabbat and holding off on the Sony. My JVC and Victor, and CKR70TW have all been the bass sloping down to treble on the darker side and EQ up the high end sort of thing. The magnetostat does give the E16 easily my favorite TWS treble. Not sure I will go back to a single driver TWS again. I liked what the Tape was trying to do but they messed it up, my UM 3DT works the triple dynamic right, as does my AZLA with it's bullseye driver with the Knowles built right through the center of a donut shaped dynamic and now the magneto combo driver with better tuning also doing the more unique layering and presenting in a way a single driver can't. Can't 3D layer and overlap and image using the surface area of a single dynamic in the same way. Maybe if Sony turned their N3 into a stemmed TWS I might be more interested. :)

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #33,986 of 63,213
I had to pre order the new Sonys from Amazon.

Im very excited about the new technical improvements, however I'm a bit worried about the sound profile.

Hopefully these do support the upcoming LE audio on a hardware basis.

Im not surprised that Sony have failed once again when it comes to naming their product haha... Just name these the "Sony Buds" or something simple like that.

If only a technology company could partner up with a company with vast experience with IEMs... Imagine the TWS that could come of that partnership.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #33,987 of 63,213
Hey Misery,

****So for your TWS list*****

1) ADV M5: did you get the customs? Might be worth it for $500!

2) UE Fits: Ordered!

3) HiBy: don’t know why I never thought of getting these since my DAP is a HiBy R6 Pro *head smack* However it looks like the WH2s are coming out with LDAC. I emailed HiBy to ask them when I can order.

*******I love the IEM -> TWS adapter idea; I never thought of doing that.*******

Some people are saying the Fiio UTWS3 is superior to the iBasso. What do you think?

I had planned to use my JH Lola’s for this but mine have a 4 pin connector and it seems like a pain to get an MMCX adapter. So I might keep the Lola’s for wired listening and get new IEMs.

So now I have to figure out which of the two you suggested to get or to throw caution to the wind and get something for $1,000+ like the Audeze Euclid for a bad a$$ setup :)

Thanks again for the playlists!
No problem! What good is talking about gear when you don't listen to anything on 'em :wink:

1) Nope. Still using the universal review pair. ADV's own site says the custom has a slightly different tuning as well ("neutral" vs "balanced"). I don't know if there's much value to getting custom TWS, unless there was some way to service the battery over time. Considering that's probably not the case, I'm good with the universals and they fit plenty well on their own.

2) I'll give the same advice that was given to me: have some patience with the FITS. Even when you start with the molding process, I learned that minimal pressure (only what's needed to keep them in place) is preferred to pushing them into your ears. I did that with set #2 and ended up with some gnarly hotspots. With the way the gel fills in those voids, I think it's more important to nail and maintain an effective seal while the form is being made. I'm really glad they let me try a third time around or I'd have kept them in the bin for much longer. In terms of sound sig, be patient. It usually takes me a good 30-45 minutes until my ears get into the FITS' sweet spot where I'm equal parts enjoying and analyzing. And, honestly, that's probably the FITS' biggest strength: they're like a mildly more fun ER4XR. Not nearly as resolving, but dang close, especially with drums and orchestral stuff.

3) Because the WH3 was their first venture into the TWS space? Their numbering convention is so backwards imo. Wouldn't it make more sense to start with the WH1 and work your way up? Barring the addition of LDAC, which I'm still curious to see in terms of battery tradeoff, I don't think I'm as big a fan of the driver choices with the WH2, either. You only get 2 BAs or a single DD, meaning you don't even get to utilize the crossover with the DD version. LDAC implementation is going to have to be absolutely perfect to make the WH2 worth more than what I think the WH3 are currently worth. I think they are priced slightly below the WH3's original price point, but the campaign page hasn't launched so I'm not 100% sure.

Regarding the IEM/TWS adapter, it's such a simple idea, but I can see how the tuning of these things matters. I ended up with the CF01 mainly because of availability, but also because its nominal impedance looked like a really good match for the P1, which is notorious for being fussy with portable sources. I figured if I could get the two of those to work together, the purchase would have been totally worth it. Getting the 2-pin adapters from OE just blew the doors open on what that meant I could use. While I haven't tested Fiio or TRN's versions, I could see a chief complaint being how cramped your IEM will be inside their cases; with the CF01, there's plenty of room (and padding) which makes me feel a lot more confident about things staying protected while I'm on the go. Add in wireless charging and more than satisfactory battery life and it's an all-around great experience. I could see how trying to convert 4-pin to MMCX would be tough; only thing I could suggest is reaching out to OE to see if they know any way to make that happen. You may just be a better candidate for the 5K and going semi-wireless instead of TWS. Food for thought.

While the P1 works with the CF01, I want to be clear about something: it's a power-user level sort of "work." Might as well share what @samandhi and I have been trying to figure out offline...we've noticed that apps going through Android's volume control tend to receive some audible distortion once you get to about 65% volume. My guess is that this doesn't sit well with the amplification inside the CF01, so either it or the phone's BT stack end up taking signals that are already pretty close to clipping and throws them right over it. This is where I think some of the harsher edge in the upper midrange is coming from (granted, it's plenty listenable and I'm only mentioning this in comparison to performance out of a good wired source). Our workaround was to use AGP (Auto-Gain Protection) within Neutron, which seemed to take care of the issue, but that leaves you with only the ability to listen to what you host locally. This will be a big caveat for folks who already listen to brickwalled content. Please keep that in mind.

So it's a chicken/egg problem: is the P1 so resolving that it's pulling out audible distortion in the BT chain or is the CF01 just distorting on its own? Maybe it's a little bit of both, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the living blazes out of the combo.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #33,988 of 63,213
Sounds Sony dark to me: heavy on the midbass, treble rolled off too early. Favors impact over texture/detail. Some people like that signature, but I'm too much of a resolution freak.
sounds very different to the PI7 then by that description, they're hella resolving for an iem and trade impact for accuracy. Id say the airpods pro have more impact than the pi7 for instance.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #33,989 of 63,213
sounds very different to the PI7 then by that description, they're hella resolving for an iem and trade impact for accuracy. Id say the airpods pro have more impact than the pi7 for instance.
So would you say the PI7's bass is more diffused? Could be similar in signature to the Technics from the midrange-up if that's the case.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #33,990 of 63,213
I'll keep this short - Nuarl N10 Pro's are on Amazon right now for $158 Prime. That is a very good deal. I have the 6Ps and a swathe of other sets, these sound wonderful once you get a good fit, which is easy given the range of tips you give you, silicon and foam (I'm currently using foam). There is a single review on amazon that is not particularly helpful nor representative of my experience. I highly recommend giving them a try - the physical buttons make making adjustments easy, and the firmware update was no problem at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back