Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 8, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #33,946 of 62,385
They are some kind of hybrid mix, you can see the guy squeeze them in one of above videos, they are not normal foam looking as they would not last so they would give you silicon also in that case but they only give you these so they must be quite durable

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #33,947 of 62,385
I'm leaning on you guys to tell me what you think about the xm4. You are my Guinea pigs! :ksc75smile:

If they are great and a big improvement over the xm3 & melomania touch, I will consider them. Giving it a full month or two. I have yet to get the Melomania Touch rma'd, but that's coming soon too for the couple issues I have. I might consider selling them after rma if xm4 are vastly better.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #33,948 of 62,385
We have a wind test here - works well apparently, IRL testing needed though...

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #33,949 of 62,385
Ordered the Sony's from Amazon. Will be here tomorrow (NJ)

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #33,951 of 62,385
A bit off topic from the newly announced Sony but does anyone know if Jabra plans to release the 85T Actives anytime soon or have they given up on it since they haven't even announced them at this point?
Haven't seen any updates on an 85t Active model, though they have been putting up regular sales via email for the 85t. Doesn't get you down to refurb pricing, but shows that they're probably trying to clear inventory.
lucklily for me sony did bring the showstopper:

A round touch panel accepts taps for track controls and the virtual assistant on the right side while the left earbud can be used to toggle active noise cancellation (ANC) modes or activate the quick attention feature. Those are the default actions, but Sony’s app will allow you to reconfigure things as you see fit. Like the M3, you can opt for on-board volume controls on the M4. However, you’ll have to sacrifice either your playback controls or your ability to change quickly from noise cancelling to ambient sound.
At least they're honest about it from the get-go. Truth be told, I'm so used to not having volume control on my buds that treat almost all of my pairs like IEMs without wires at this point. Might not be something I'd miss so much, but the concerns about size that people are raising would be.
I'm going to wait on measurements. Sony has tended to be all over the place with SQ for me :p
Yep. This is where I'm at as well. If they follow their Sony house sound, it doesn't matter what EQ I apply; there's no way to get rid of that extra warmth. They've got the occasional stunner, though.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #33,953 of 62,385
I'm leaning on you guys to tell me what you think about the xm4. You are my Guinea pigs! :ksc75smile:

If they are great and a big improvement over the xm3 & melomania touch, I will consider them. Giving it a full month or two. I have yet to get the Melomania Touch rma'd, but that's coming soon too for the couple issues I have. I might consider selling them after rma if xm4 are vastly better.
I own the XM3, and went through two Melomania Touches (both returned) so I can give you direct comparisons.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #33,954 of 62,385
The bass bump definitely is there, but isn't too aggressive but paired with the recessed high end, I see a very dark sounding headphone. Though I'm not sure what their target plot is in the maroon/red. My personal preference is like a 5-ish dB bump in the bass with a DF neutral plot the rest of the way. This headphone won't sound bad though from what I see, just a tad dark. I'll definitely debate on whether or not I want to pull the trigger on it or just wait. The price on them will probably drop by the end of the year :p

Edit: though it also looks like the reviewer is using the foam tips. Foam tips in general have a tendency to cut out highs. This pushes me to want to get them eventually. That case is a lot smaller too which is a huge plus.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #33,956 of 62,385
Reviews are coming on the xm4. So far looks excellent. Here is what CNET said about the SQ versus the PI7:

B tested these with the Bowers & Wilkins PI7, which arguably have the slight edge -- the PI7 may just be the best-sounding true-wireless earbuds out there right now. But the Sony WF-1000XM4's noise canceling and headset performance is superior and they cost $120 less, so you may see the PI7 comes down in price to compete with the Sony because it's hard to justify spending the extra dough on the PI7, even if its charging case doubles as a Bluetooth transceiver and it does support AptX Adaptive.
Bit more of an analytical take on SQ here, says they're trumped by the MW08
https://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/sony-wf-1000xm4-review/

Hmm im tempted to get them and run them up against the PI7

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #33,957 of 62,385
I am intrigued by those new ear tips that come with the XM4 … the verge reviewer describes it as silicon covered foam? I’d love to get some extra and try on others …
Easy to make your own. Get silicone tip of choice, smaller size foam tip. Stretch silicone over foam for a nice fit and then trim the excess foam off.

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #33,958 of 62,385
Bit more of an analytical take on SQ here, says they're trumped by the MW08
https://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/sony-wf-1000xm4-review/

Hmm im tempted to get them and run them up against the PI7
Lord I hope not. Clarity and MW08 do not go together at all. MW08 are a muddy mess. PI7 would be a good comparison. Guessing the pI7 get the edge on sq bit the Sony the edge on overall package. This review was well done but I am skeptic on the notion that the XM3 offer more clarity. That seems hard for me to fathom. I guess we shall see.

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #33,959 of 62,385
Lord I hope not. Clarity and MW08 do not go together at all. MW08 are a muddy mess. PI7 would be a good comparison. Guessing the pI7 get the edge on sq bit the Sony the edge on overall package. This review was well done but I am skeptic on the notion that the XM3 offer more clarity. That seems hard for me to fathom. I guess we shall see.
Here is what Ars Technica has to say:

When it comes to sound quality, though, a headphone's design and tuning are more important than features like those. In this case, the XM4 has a punchy sound with impactful bass and a boost to the lower midrange. Compared head-to-head, the AirPods Pro have a more neutral and balanced profile with a greater sense of space; this is particularly the case in the treble range, which the XM4 tends to underemphasize by default. That doesn’t mean the XM4 sounds bad, though. Its low-end doesn’t sound muddy or overblown; it’s just in-your-face, which many may enjoy with hip-hop, pop, and certain rock tracks that welcome that oomph.

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #33,960 of 62,385
Here is what Ars Technica has to say:

When it comes to sound quality, though, a headphone's design and tuning are more important than features like those. In this case, the XM4 has a punchy sound with impactful bass and a boost to the lower midrange. Compared head-to-head, the AirPods Pro have a more neutral and balanced profile with a greater sense of space; this is particularly the case in the treble range, which the XM4 tends to underemphasize by default. That doesn’t mean the XM4 sounds bad, though. Its low-end doesn’t sound muddy or overblown; it’s just in-your-face, which many may enjoy with hip-hop, pop, and certain rock tracks that welcome that oomph.
Sounds Sony dark to me: heavy on the midbass, treble rolled off too early. Favors impact over texture/detail. Some people like that signature, but I'm too much of a resolution freak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back