Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #33,931 of 62,385
I have had the XM3 for a few days now and while I really like it in terms of comfort, noise cancellation, features, I'm not crazy about the sound for the music I listen to mostly (rock, metal, indie, etc). The mid bass seems a little wooly or overblown to my ears. It's not incredibly textured or deep.

try cutting the Clear bass setting down. i usually set it at -3 or -2. i also initially don't like the midbass, but now i like it after that adjustment

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #33,933 of 62,385
Reviews are coming on the xm4. So far looks excellent. Here is what CNET said about the SQ versus the PI7:

B tested these with the Bowers & Wilkins PI7, which arguably have the slight edge -- the PI7 may just be the best-sounding true-wireless earbuds out there right now. But the Sony WF-1000XM4's noise canceling and headset performance is superior and they cost $120 less, so you may see the PI7 comes down in price to compete with the Sony because it's hard to justify spending the extra dough on the PI7, even if its charging case doubles as a Bluetooth transceiver and it does support AptX Adaptive.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #33,938 of 62,385
lucklily for me sony did bring the showstopper:

A round touch panel accepts taps for track controls and the virtual assistant on the right side while the left earbud can be used to toggle active noise cancellation (ANC) modes or activate the quick attention feature. Those are the default actions, but Sony’s app will allow you to reconfigure things as you see fit. Like the M3, you can opt for on-board volume controls on the M4. However, you’ll have to sacrifice either your playback controls or your ability to change quickly from noise cancelling to ambient sound.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #33,939 of 62,385
Damn, that is poor as some cheaper TWS can do it all with 2 buttons including Playback/Skip Tracks/Vol/Assistant/ANC/Power On & Off

If I can have Vol and ANC On/Off I do not care about other modes.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #33,942 of 62,385
Yeah that’s quite annoying. Actually one of the best features of AirPods Pro was hands free volume adjustment. Hey Siri turn up the volume by 10%. Sorted.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #33,944 of 62,385
I am intrigued by those new ear tips that come with the XM4 … the verge reviewer describes it as silicon covered foam? I’d love to get some extra and try on others …
Sony has had these tips for a while (if they're the standard hybrid tips with foam on the inside). For the past decade at least, but generally only with their higher-end offerings.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #33,945 of 62,385
No look at the official Sony presentation video, the new tips are nothing like the old and now discontinued silicone+foam inside (there were really good) or the "mossy" ones that came with the XM3s and didn't work particularly well, in fact not at all for me, the new tips look A LOT like Comply tips, they'll have to be more durable though if not we're looking at an "eartipgate" for Sony :wink:

EDIT - having said that it seems the actual eartips are different than in the official presentation, odd...

EDIT 2 : the "metallic mics" look a bit like earrings in some reviews, hehe...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back