Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 6, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #32,881 of 62,480
So what’s the one to get now? I’ll test it out, but I’m going to return it with all the bad reviews. That’s so sad. Is the Sennheiser Momentum any good? Noble Falcon Pro? That seems to be similar to the sound of this one.

People have been buying the PI7 from Amazon. When I got mine, there were 10 available, and now there are only 2 available. Lucky I ordered the Status between pro, but if that’s a lie too, then I’ll just stick with what I have.
You could try the Klipsch TWS line, or maybe the Marshall Mode 2 TWS. I am on the fence about getting the Marshall until I start seeing others thoughts on them.

May 6, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #32,882 of 62,480
I highly recommend the NFPs or the KEFs. Both solid. Stay away from the B&Ws right now IMO.
I've been waiting for B&W to release a TWS that sounds like the P7W, which are STILL one of my favorite headphones.

Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer.

May 6, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #32,884 of 62,480
The avforums video more or less confirms to me that something odd is going on. The PI7s he is talking about do not match with the set I got in terms of ANC. Just not possible.

Had a strange experience at the store yesterday. For a second it felt like something was happening and that the ANC turned on for 1-2s and then disappeared again. Not sure as it happened so quickly. Makes me think there is something wrong with the code. That the ANC is there, but for some reason it isn't turned on on mine (and that is true whatever I do in the app to turn it on).

As for the connection it still works fine for me with my phone and my work computer (my mac won't find them - and the Fiio X5 3rd are as mentioned earlier completely usesless). I can freely walk around in my apartment with no issues.

Used them for quite a few phone calls yesterday as well. Works well. No issues at either end.

So for me if I can get the ANC working this would be close to a 10 out of 10 (probably 9.5 because I wish the battery was a bit better). Sound-wise they are to me very very good. I was so disappointed with the Jabra 75t, but this is in a completely different league. Makes sense to wait though - to see if B&W can get things sorted out with some of the clear flaws they currently got. Hopefully a quick fix and not a full Devialet.

May 6, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #32,885 of 62,480
Discussion inside on the PI7.. with mention of Bluetooth drop too near the end.. starts at 29-39 minutes

I thought it was interesting that while in a Sstore with his oppo phone they not only cut out, but occasionally would skipp a track. He tried the same thing with the A&K Kann paired with the PI7 and had no issues, and no other TWEs cut out or skipped a track while paired to his phone in the store.

May 6, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #32,886 of 62,480
Well.. I've got the PI7 and so far i really really never met the issues you described.
Ni hiccups, no drop...anc is working well , i can feel the difference.
by the way dont forget it is adaptative, so is it not due to the fact the buds feels you re in a quiet place , so anc is less strong ? This is really surprising to me. A totally different experience.

I have the Devialet Gemini as well.
As to say, the soft team has done a tremendous work to fix the issues that occurs for many users.
I can confirm they work as we would have expected when they were released.

So if B&W has things to fix via the software, it seems there is places to enhance the experience if they really need to.

If i compare both...

Sound : B&W with hi res file is just awesome.

I would say if you listen to mp4, mp3, flac 44-16 , you would not feel a real difference between the two.

If you go to higher bitrate, it is easier to feel/spot the difference.

I love the lows on both , the soundstage is extended on the B&W.

Battery... Devialet is better obviously.
This is the real downfall of B&W.
But I have less opportunity to listen to music during thebday for 4h in a row.
So i guess putting the earbuds in the box at each break would help complete the day.

If i m flying for a long trip, i would use the sony whm4 anyway.

Now the shame is on samsung that doesnt want to pay the aptx hd and ll.
By chance Sony xperia has it and it is pure joy.

About apple, i would agree that im not sure it worth it to pay that price to use only for aac.

Ho, yeah this is just my experience and don t expect that xbody will agree :wink:

I have also sony wmf3 and first sennheiser mt... not sure they will see the light of day anymore now...

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #32,887 of 62,480
For the ANC I have tested turning the adaptive off.

Went to the supermarket earlier today. The ANC will remove the drone from the refrigerators. So something is working, but only for very specific low frequency sounds.

May 6, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #32,888 of 62,480
Bit disheartening to see all these new sets having issues straight out the box. Seems like everyone is rushing to get theirs out before Sony or Apple release their new sets, let's be honest they do it better connection/anc wise than others.

May 6, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #32,889 of 62,480
Bit disheartening to see all these new sets having issues straight out the box. Seems like everyone is rushing to get theirs out before Sony or Apple release their new sets, let's be honest they do it better connection/anc wise than others.

Yeah. B&W making a deal out of not being the first because they wanted to do it right. Funny.

This doesn't have to be a big issue, but you really got to wonder how they are testing the prototypes.

May 6, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #32,890 of 62,480
What can the Sennheiser Momentum TW2 better than the Bose QC EarBuds or Jabra 85t?
My hoarding heart has found a local source for the MTW2, bit crazy price wise, but what can I do, can't fly somewhere else for shopping :)
I have the Bose and the Jabras and love them a LOT, but neither of them has AptX .. which got me to look around and I recall that when the MTW2s were fresh, there was a lot of positive talk here ...
Now, I checked some YT reviews ... (remember Jimmy? That made me realize how long the MTW2 have already been on the market, when Jimmy still did reviews) ... and overall I am not super convinced ... the fit could be an issue, the sound could be too 'neutral' ... and I really am not a fan of touch vs click buttons .. but at least they can be remapped ..
Now, why would you say I still should get the MTW2 in my stable? The ANC seems to be about the same (and really depenidng on fit) ..

Yep, Jim’s review room... I miss the guy. He went into gaming. I liked his reviews.

May 6, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #32,891 of 62,480
A lot of companies nowadays just don't care, but there are a few that seem to. Even those companies tend to do JUST enough to give the illusion that they really care. It is tragic that CS and engineering is at an all time low (greed being the ONLY thing that matters).

However, in the case of Cambridge (at least for the MT) their actions really do show that they care (or are at least smart enough to see that they were killing their profits with broken devices from the factory). I am just glad to see that they didn't follow the model that I described about Fiio (and Samsung, and many others nowadays), and abandon the device altogether and make a "new and improved" model.

With my experience with the MT (and even though they are not the "best" out there), I would buy another product from Cambridge. That, to me, is what makes a company great, and be able to stick around for a long time (like Sennheiser used to be).

Oh c'mon, you have said that multiple times on here, and you know good and well you couldn't keep that promise if you tried... LOL I recognize it because I have the same addiction, though yours goes deeper than mine IMO. :)

Just get them, and let us know how good or bad they are?! I'll bet there are a lot of people that value your opinion on this stuff anyhow (me included).

In all seriousness though, did you ever get your P1s? I haven't heard good or bad from you about them. If you don't want to post your impressions on here, there IS a P1 thread (that I still monitor) here.

Yes on the first paragraph. As you may know, I only own the MT as TWS, although I’ve tried and tested several others. These are the ones I’m keeping and definitely would buy from CA again. They did successive FW updates until the initial issues were solved and as @miserybeforethemusic said before their approach to CS made me sure of that. I place enormous value on CS.
I was tempted to get the MW08 because I love the looks, the form/function and the descriptions on SQ that have been shared. I might hold off until I hear more about BTLE/LC3. Tight wallet, tight decisions.

Big yes on the second paragraph. I value his opinion very much. I know (and hope) he’s not keeping his promise and I’m eager to get his opinion on an approach I myself would not invest in but I’m very curious on the results/impressions.

May 6, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #32,892 of 62,480
Here are the specs for the Marshall Mode II (for those interested):
MarshallModeII.PNG
I noticed that the case also has an IP rating... Also the codecs used are missing. From the 4 different sources I read, they have AptX and SBC. For iPone(ers) AAC is missing.

No AAC, I’m out.

Honestly, I would be out anyway. Although I revere their guitar amps, I find that 20% of their price in other products is paying for the iconic logo. In BT speakers and in the headphones I tried, price definitely does not justify the quality. It’s not bad, but it’s never great.

Like the Marley brand, you’re partially paying for branding. I don’t mind paying for design, as in M&D for example, but as much as I love Bob, the SQ does not justify the usual price. Just my opinion.

May 6, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #32,894 of 62,480
Anyone here who has compared the ANC on the Soundcore Liberty Air 2 Pro and the Samsung Galaxy Pro? I actually found a YT video comparing them but this guy is like 'they both sound good, they both have great ANC' ... I am really curious about the ANC and I don't have a chance to test before buy ...
Which brings me to the fit .. I had something similar to the Air 2 Pro (something from Aukey?) but the tips did not reach deep enough into the ear ... on the other hand I read here that ppl have fit issues with the Galaxy Pros ...
Argh ... I wish I wasn't that tempted and would just patiently wait until the Sony XM4 come out (remember how last year this time we got antsy about the Bose QC earbuds?)

May 6, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #32,895 of 62,480
The avforums video more or less confirms to me that something odd is going on. The PI7s he is talking about do not match with the set I got in terms of ANC. Just not possible.

Had a strange experience at the store yesterday. For a second it felt like something was happening and that the ANC turned on for 1-2s and then disappeared again. Not sure as it happened so quickly. Makes me think there is something wrong with the code. That the ANC is there, but for some reason it isn't turned on on mine (and that is true whatever I do in the app to turn it on).

As for the connection it still works fine for me with my phone and my work computer (my mac won't find them - and the Fiio X5 3rd are as mentioned earlier completely usesless). I can freely walk around in my apartment with no issues.

Used them for quite a few phone calls yesterday as well. Works well. No issues at either end.

So for me if I can get the ANC working this would be close to a 10 out of 10 (probably 9.5 because I wish the battery was a bit better). Sound-wise they are to me very very good. I was so disappointed with the Jabra 75t, but this is in a completely different league. Makes sense to wait though - to see if B&W can get things sorted out with some of the clear flaws they currently got. Hopefully a quick fix and not a full Devialet.
Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but you're sure that Auto is not turned on in the App?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back