Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 5, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #32,851 of 62,127
Thanks. Kind of good news I guess - another indication that something is just wrong with mine. Ideally just a firmware update. Will be interesting to hear what B&W got to say. My local shop is usually quite reasonable to deal with also when it comes to quality issues, but I was the first one to get a PI7 delivered so I don't think they got much experience just yet on possible common issues.

May 5, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #32,852 of 62,127
Would you say you without a doubt notice when it is turned on?

I just had another funny issue with mine. So I have used it with my S10+ phone and the connection is fine. Some small hiccups, but that has been me leaving the phone in the sofa walking over to the kitchen etc. Then I tested it on my Fiio X5 3rd and the signal is absolutely useless. Impossible to listen to. I know from before that using the X5 3rd with bluetooth isn't perfect, but I have never experienced anything like this. I used it with my Jabra 75t and I would occasionally lose the signal for half a second every now and then. When I connect it to my Denon receiver I will also occasionally have issues with the signal. So I'm starting to wonder if there is something more wrong in general with my set.

Sent B&W a question through their homepage. To see if this is something (the ANC) which is a known problem for them or not.
Can definitely tell when ANC is on. Works pretty well but I’m not expecting on-par performance to my Sony or AKG over ears.

The Fiio only supports Bluetooth 4.0, so maybe they don’t play nice with older versions? My Hiby R5 is only Bluetooth 4.2 and didn’t perform as well as the R6 2020 with 5.0.

May 5, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #32,853 of 62,127
Can definitely tell when ANC is on. Works pretty well but I’m not expecting on-par performance to my Sony or AKG over ears.

The Fiio only supports Bluetooth 4.0, so maybe they don’t play nice with older versions? My Hiby R5 is only Bluetooth 4.2 and didn’t perform as well as the R6 2020 with 5.0.
If they conform to the TWS+ standard, it needs at least a Snapdragon 855. Most DAPs are still in the 600 or younger series, and both your 2020 R6 and the iBasso DX300 seem to sport the Snapdragon 660. with the iBasso DX300 being the most capable (for a DAP) processor on the market at the moment. Your R6 2020, for example, runs off the Snapdragon 660. A&K doesn't even disclose what silicon they're using, fwiw, and their UI is highly customized, so I have no way of digging into the settings to find out for myself.

The BT generation (4.1 vs 5) may make a slight difference, but I think implementation, the backend of the OS, and how many apps/devices are being managed simultaneously in your device play a major role. Your unit is built completely around sound quality with HiBy at the helm; never got around to testing BT on the R5 Saber, but man did that thing sound fantastic out of the balanced jack. Can only imagine how that R6 2020 sounds.

Back on the stock WH3 tips, this time in Large. Woah, what a difference. These TWS really don't like tips with a long bore. Not sure whether I prefer these or the EPro horns at the moment. Will have to do more testing before I can come to any conclusions.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #32,854 of 62,127

I tested mine next to a room HEPA type filter and next to a dryer, and just walking around the neighborhood for several days with frequent damnable leaf blowers (the blight of existence, or close to it) and I could not detect any, I repeat, any ANC that wasn’t super subtle. Not within a mile of my AirPod pros or the Sonys. I have the over the ear Sonys for airplanes—XM4s. They are fantastic. I wasn't expecting anything close to that perfomance, but I was expecting something that made me aware that there even was ANC. So perhaps my pair, just sent back, was defective.

May 5, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #32,855 of 62,127
Whoa! MT just popped up as an option on the Comply compatibility site with this foamie result:

TrueGrip™ TW-200-A​

https://www.complyfoam.com/products/twzz-truegrip-1

Previously there was only Melomania 1, no MT to select. So previously no known foamie solution for MT that I'm aware of.

Now I have to decide if I want to go foamie with MT or not. Will I be back to great isolation but too much treble attenuation like I have with my M1 Comply 600 solution? These foamies don't go deep, so maybe they won't attenuate as much? Maybe have to buy these and the ePro and compare...

May 5, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #32,856 of 62,127
The MT have been aggravating lately. The right bud to be exact. I can't get the charging light to stay on too often. Each night, I have 50/50 percent chance of seeing it 100% charged or not charged, and it's always the right side. Always.

I don't hear a click when putting the buds in after a listening session. Left side consistently begins charging without any issue though. Right side sometimes starts blinking red light for charging, but if I check the next afternoon, the right bud often doesn't light up when I open the case just to check (left always lights up as soon as I open the case).

I think it's time for warranty replacement. I'm getting bit annoyed lately when I see right bud is not charged about half the time.

May 5, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #32,857 of 62,127
Whoa! MT just popped up as an option on the Comply compatibility site with this foamie result:

TrueGrip™ TW-200-A​

Previously there was only Melomania 1, no MT to select. So previously no known foamie solution for MT that I'm aware of.

Now I have to decide if I want to go foamie with MT or not. Will I be back to great isolation but too much treble attenuation like I have with my M1 Comply 600 solution? These foamies don't go deep, so maybe they won't attenuate as much? Maybe have to buy these and the ePro and compare...
Comply are very good but unfortunately don't last long. Few months max if you take good care of them. I guess that's always going to be the issue with foam tips - silicone typically lasts much longer.

May 5, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #32,858 of 62,127

TrueGrip™ TW-200-A​

Oooh nice! I don't have the TrueGrip, but I do have the heat-sensitive foamies and those work really well with the MT. They're a little broader on top than the ones you pictured, though, so I'm not sure how that plus the debris filter will mess with the sound signature. Keep in mind I have to remove those foamies in order for the charging contacts to properly align, but there's room enough on that shelf in between each bud at least.
IMG_20210505_161253.jpg
Got them via eBay, but pretty sure these are the same product. Really, REALLY comfortable. Zero pressure on the ear canal so far.
The MT have been aggravating lately. The right bud to be exact. I can't get the charging light to stay on too often. Each night, I have 50/50 percent chance of seeing it 100% charged or not charged, and it's always the right side. Always.

I don't hear a click when putting the buds in after a listening session. Left side consistently begins charging without any issue though. Right side sometimes starts blinking red light for charging, but if I check the next afternoon, the right bud often doesn't light up when I open the case just to check (left always lights up as soon as I open the case).

I think it's time for warranty replacement. I'm getting bit annoyed lately when I see right bud is not charged about half the time.
Yeah, something funky has been happening with my Right bud as well. Seems to follow whichever bud is the "dominant" one, in my case.

Not quite putting them on the bench; instead, just making them the dedicated SR25 TWS buds. I figure if they manage to remain stable on that DAP, chances are there's something at the phone level that's been screwing with me. Regarding the charging issue, maybe it would warrant a quick clean of the charging contacts? If that's what you want to do, there's two ways to accomplish it:
  1. Grab a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol (91% preferred, but 70% is fine). DO NOT use rubbing alcohol; it will leave a residue, which is the exact opposite of what we're looking for. Dab the head of the Q-tip into a capful of isopropyl alcohol and gently wipe the charging contacts (both in the case and on the device). Isopropyl alcohol, if properly compounded, should dry completely residue-free and leave your electrical contacts nice and sparkly. We used to do this to remove all sorts of nasties from printed circuit boards, especially leftover flux.
  2. If the idea of liquids next to your electronics is too much to handle, just grab a rubber eraser (like the one at the end of a No.2 pencil) and gently "erase" all of the metal contacts. Since this rubber is mildly abrasive, it should kind of "exfoliate" the surface of the metal, removing any oxidation. You will have to brush off whatever rubber is left over, but should end up with a pretty clean surface if you did it right.
In either regard, sounds like it's a contact issue. Maybe it's firmware and I'm off, but this might be worth messaging James about. Wouldn't hurt to ask when he plans to join the party, either. Said he was waiting on vendor verification a while ago; have to assume it'd be done by now.

May 5, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #32,859 of 62,127
Oooh nice! I don't have the TrueGrip, but I do have the heat-sensitive foamies and those work really well with the MT. They're a little broader on top than the ones you pictured, though, so I'm not sure how that plus the debris filter will mess with the sound signature. Keep in mind I have to remove those foamies in order for the charging contacts to properly align, but there's room enough on that shelf in between each bud at least.
IMG_20210505_161253.jpg
Got them via eBay, but pretty sure these are the same product. Really, REALLY comfortable. Zero pressure on the ear canal so far.

Yeah, something funky has been happening with my Right bud as well. Seems to follow whichever bud is the "dominant" one, in my case.

Not quite putting them on the bench; instead, just making them the dedicated SR25 TWS buds. I figure if they manage to remain stable on that DAP, chances are there's something at the phone level that's been screwing with me. Regarding the charging issue, maybe it would warrant a quick clean of the charging contacts? If that's what you want to do, there's two ways to accomplish it:
  1. Grab a Q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol (91% preferred, but 70% is fine). DO NOT use rubbing alcohol; it will leave a residue, which is the exact opposite of what we're looking for. Dab the head of the Q-tip into a capful of isopropyl alcohol and gently wipe the charging contacts (both in the case and on the device). Isopropyl alcohol, if properly compounded, should dry completely residue-free and leave your electrical contacts nice and sparkly. We used to do this to remove all sorts of nasties from printed circuit boards, especially leftover flux.
  2. If the idea of liquids next to your electronics is too much to handle, just grab a rubber eraser (like the one at the end of a No.2 pencil) and gently "erase" all of the metal contacts. Since this rubber is mildly abrasive, it should kind of "exfoliate" the surface of the metal, removing any oxidation. You will have to brush off whatever rubber is left over, but should end up with a pretty clean surface if you did it right.
In either regard, sounds like it's a contact issue. Maybe it's firmware and I'm off, but this might be worth messaging James about. Wouldn't hurt to ask when he plans to join the party, either. Said he was waiting on vendor verification a while ago; have to assume it'd be done by now.
Do your buds click when you place them in? Like magnet

May 5, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #32,860 of 62,127
Do your buds click when you place them in? Like magnet
Only with the stock tips, Final TWS, or E-Pro horns. I usually drop them in from about an inch up and they click in place about 85% of the time.

Wish I had a better answer than that, but to be more direct: yes, I can get them to click in place.

May 5, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #32,861 of 62,127
Only with the stock tips, Final TWS, or E-Pro horns. I usually drop them in from about an inch up and they click in place about 85% of the time.

Wish I had a better answer than that, but to be more direct: yes, I can get them to click in place.
So you might be right. Mine used to click couple months ago but don't anymore. Something must be blocking the contacts. I will see if I have isopropyl alcohol somewhere in the house. If that doesn't solve the issue then RMA time =[

May 5, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #32,862 of 62,127
So you might be right. Mine used to click couple months ago but don't anymore. Something must be blocking the contacts. I will see if I have isopropyl alcohol somewhere in the house. If that doesn't solve the issue then RMA time =[
And a RMA may be warranted. Now that I've thoroughly cleaned this thing, I can tell how long those contact pins are in the case. Any misalignment on those would probably be an issue. Can't fix a bent pin with a firmware update, unfortunately.

They may ask you to try this in troubleshooting, so in order to get ahead of them, you may want to try unpairing the MT and re-pairing to the Left bud first this time (or right, if the left was your previous dominant).

May 5, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #32,863 of 62,127
Three mile walk and nothing but dropouts with the B&W PI5. No, I don't have a metal plate in my head. What. This is awful. I can't even adjust them in my ears without them pausing and/or losing BT connection. Something is definitely up. I've reset, repaired, rebooted, you name it. Sure, they are okay if I'm sitting at my desk, but what is the fun in that???

May 5, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #32,864 of 62,127
MW08 owners: any tips on getting a tighter fit? I have on the x-s ear tips on and they definitely have a seal, but I can feel them moving around in my ear and becoming loose as I walk around. Bigger ear tips feel just as insecure with a worse seal. Loving the sound so far, though!

May 5, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #32,865 of 62,127
I read online that the Spinfit CP-240 can help with the Buds Pro fit (https://www.spinfiteartip.com/en/product-detail/36). I purchased the medium size and they do nothing but comically pop out of my ears. The fit is way too large and far, far worse than the standard tips. After following the Samsung guidelines for insertion they fit somewhat better but still feel precarious. I have purchased a cheap pair of Aliexpress silicone replacements and hope they might be shaped slightly differently (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002573061485.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.65344c4dEyS0MD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back