Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 1, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #32,641 of 62,723
Good layering and imaging is a good sign of "guts". You have me more excited than ever to try the UTWS3. I am concerned about the connection and app issue though, because while they DO make good hardware, Fiio has a track record with software.
The imaging is excellent with these and the Dusk. Very 3D, almost speaker like. Sounds coming from all directions. I enjoy acoustic on these a lot now. 🙂

The only other gripe I have is that the 2-pin on the left hook doesn't fit snugly enough with the Dusk's left ear piece. It sometimes falls off, say if I'm lying down and move my head. I had to re-attach it a couple times.

I wish manufacturers moving forward would just stick with MMCX universally. Having different types of 2-pin 0.75, 0.78, QDC just doesn't make sense and is a pain in the butt.

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #32,642 of 62,723
i'd say don't pay more than $200 USD for the MTW2. The ANC is not as good as the QC Earbuds, 85T and AZ70 IMO, but I was wearing the MTW2 on the train the other day, been a while since i took public transit. the ANC blocks out the train noise pretty well.
Not as wide of a soundstage as on MTW1 if you ever had those, they don't have as much sparkle up top as the MTW1 did, but do respond well to 3rd party eq well. Touch controls aren't to sensitive IMO, transparency is serviceable, not class leading. You can use it with music playing, but when you switch to it from say ANC, the music pauses so you have to resume it...Rambling but back to first part of my post, for $200 USD or under, a solid purchase.
Thanks! That's very helpful!
Looking for something I could possibly love more than the Bose / Jabras ... and the MTW2 do not sound like that at all ...
No bargains to be had here, and neither the KEF nor the Pi7 would show up here anytime soon ... ah well .. learning to curb my enthusiasm ...

May 1, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #32,643 of 62,723
Maybe.

I mean it makes perfect sense in the loudspeaker realm because you have much bigger cabinets to fit those crossover networks into and amplification comes from an external source that's mains-powered. But here, everything is micro-sized.

The standard practice I've seen is PCB crossover with a single amplification source. If B&W went a different route, that plus the aptX HD signal would drain these batteries proper quick.

It's a middling sound signature at best, but I would place it above the 85t for sure. 85t is also more comfortable for me to wear longer-term and the pull-down notification widget I can utilize makes adjusting ANC/hearthrough on the fly a breeze.

It's the practical choice, not the audiophile's one. Hope that helps.

Bingo. Let's not forget i had to physically reach out to Cambridge to feel like the ball was rolling on this stuff. We understand our needs better than them a lot of the time because we have to use these devices daily.

Then again, James from Cambridge said he was in the works on making an account months ago and we haven't heard anything since.
A lot of companies nowadays just don't care, but there are a few that seem to. Even those companies tend to do JUST enough to give the illusion that they really care. It is tragic that CS and engineering is at an all time low (greed being the ONLY thing that matters).

However, in the case of Cambridge (at least for the MT) their actions really do show that they care (or are at least smart enough to see that they were killing their profits with broken devices from the factory). I am just glad to see that they didn't follow the model that I described about Fiio (and Samsung, and many others nowadays), and abandon the device altogether and make a "new and improved" model.

With my experience with the MT (and even though they are not the "best" out there), I would buy another product from Cambridge. That, to me, is what makes a company great, and be able to stick around for a long time (like Sennheiser used to be).

Really tempted to get these for the Dunu, but i know the rabbit hole that puts me down.

I still need a break. And my Edifiers. And the Between Pro.
Oh c'mon, you have said that multiple times on here, and you know good and well you couldn't keep that promise if you tried... LOL I recognize it because I have the same addiction, though yours goes deeper than mine IMO. :)

Just get them, and let us know how good or bad they are?! I'll bet there are a lot of people that value your opinion on this stuff anyhow (me included).

In all seriousness though, did you ever get your P1s? I haven't heard good or bad from you about them. If you don't want to post your impressions on here, there IS a P1 thread (that I still monitor) here.

May 1, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #32,644 of 62,723
The imaging is excellent with these and the Dusk. Very 3D, almost speaker like. Sounds coming from all directions.

The only other gripe I have is that the 2-pin on the left hook doesn't fit snugly enough with the Dusk's left ear piece. It sometimes falls off, say if I'm lying down and move my head. I had to re-attach it a couple times.

I wish manufacturers moving forward would just stick with MMCX universally. Having different types of 2-pin 0.75, 0.78, QDC just doesn't make sense and is a pain in the butt.
Or, at the very least, to make a standard for 2 pin. I can't actually speak from experience though because all the IEMs that I own (that have detachable cables) are all MMCX only.

To me MMCX has always seemed better (logically speaking anyhow). Two pins jutting out just beg to get broken, whereas MMCX uses the entire diameter of the connection to strengthen it. Is it perfect? No, but it just seems better IMO. It is (in my mind) like using the USB-C connection to connect headphones (rectangular) instead of the tried and true 3.5mm (round) connector. Whoever thought that up must have gotten their engineering degree from the bottom of a cereal box... :)

May 1, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #32,645 of 62,723
Bought the Marshall Mode II earbuds today, made for small ears, they are tiny.

Attachments

• 16198878389521352096165429571638.jpg
    16198878389521352096165429571638.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 1, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #32,647 of 62,723
Here are the specs for the Marshall Mode II (for those interested):
MarshallModeII.PNG

I noticed that the case also has an IP rating... Also the codecs used are missing. From the 4 different sources I read, they have AptX and SBC. For iPone(ers) AAC is missing.

May 1, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #32,648 of 62,723
Here are the specs for the Marshall Mode II (for those interested):

I noticed that the case also has an IP rating... Also the codecs used are missing. From the 4 different sources I read, they have AptX and SBC. For iPone(ers) AAC is missing.

Imagine not stating which bluetooth coecs the device supports...

If Cambridge Audio has fixed most issues with the MT's then I just don't see these competing, the MT's are also cheaper. They're pretty much unbeatble at that price range, unless you really want ANC.

May 1, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #32,649 of 62,723
I started with QCY T2C then i wanted better sound quality and bought Blon BL-03. I love the Blon BL-03 sound and its a very good price to quality ratio.
Now im looking for some wireless IEMs that have at least the same sound quality as the Blon BL-03 and good mic. Any bargains?
Whats the equivalent to Blon BL-03 for wireless?
Thanks

May 1, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #32,651 of 62,723
May 1, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #32,652 of 62,723
A lot of companies nowadays just don't care, but there are a few that seem to. Even those companies tend to do JUST enough to give the illusion that they really care. It is tragic that CS and engineering is at an all time low (greed being the ONLY thing that matters).

However, in the case of Cambridge (at least for the MT) their actions really do show that they care (or are at least smart enough to see that they were killing their profits with broken devices from the factory). I am just glad to see that they didn't follow the model that I described about Fiio (and Samsung, and many others nowadays), and abandon the device altogether and make a "new and improved" model.

With my experience with the MT (and even though they are not the "best" out there), I would buy another product from Cambridge. That, to me, is what makes a company great, and be able to stick around for a long time (like Sennheiser used to be).

Oh c'mon, you have said that multiple times on here, and you know good and well you couldn't keep that promise if you tried... LOL I recognize it because I have the same addiction, though yours goes deeper than mine IMO. :)

Just get them, and let us know how good or bad they are?! I'll bet there are a lot of people that value your opinion on this stuff anyhow (me included).

In all seriousness though, did you ever get your P1s? I haven't heard good or bad from you about them. If you don't want to post your impressions on here, there IS a P1 thread (that I still monitor) here.
I did get the P1! I was so impatient I ordered a second from Apos while I was waiting on the first from Ali. I'm going to leave that one sealed until the right recipient rolls along.

Just didn't want to congest the thread with comments on it. Very unique sound signature that will take some time to really dig through.

Guess I'm getting UMTWS3 and adapters. Ugh you enabler.

May 1, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #32,653 of 62,723
I did get the P1! I was so impatient I ordered a second from Apos while I was waiting on the first from Ali. I'm going to leave that one sealed until the right recipient rolls along.

Just didn't want to congest the thread with comments on it. Very unique sound signature that will take some time to really dig through.

Guess I'm getting UMTWS3 and adapters. Ugh you enabler.
Haha Don't act like you aren't happy to be "enabled".... Looks like you will be waiting until July to get them (unless you have a fast track, that you can share :))?

Take your time! I look forward to hearing your thoughts about them.

Edit: Since they are sealed, can't you just send them back?

May 1, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #32,654 of 62,723
Haha Don't act like you aren't happy to be "enabled".... Looks like you will be waiting until July to get them (unless you have a fast track, that you can share :))?

Take your time! I look forward to hearing your thoughts about them.

Those shipping times ended up doing me in. Just going to snag an iBasso CF01 from Bloom for the short term and one of those E1DA wired units for experimenting.

May 1, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #32,655 of 62,723
I thought about doing that, but just feel like I'd rather find the right person to "pay it forward" to when the time is right than return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back