Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 16, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #31,996 of 62,151
Been listening to the NFP with aptX Adaptive on, determined to test their limits. I'm not going gentle on them, either.

A little bit of Rodrigo y Gabriela's Echoes, because all those percussives on the guitar are bass overload. They're not too shabby here, but I think I'd definitely trade the thump these have with the brighter signature of the Technics for tracks like this. No distortion, at least.

A little bit of 24/96 organ music (Toccata & Fugue in Dm, of course) because I can't think of a better torture test on both the amp and dynamic range of these things. I'm missing a little bit of the wind at the top end of each note and the throat on those low notes. Darn, I really wish that could have been a slam dunk, but I feel like I need a lot more weight on the bottom notes. For full transparency, this is really, really hard for a lot of setups to render correctly. Bar is set intentionally high. Again, no distortion. Interesting.

Even went full bass and threw down with some Kayzo - Wake Up, followed Kendrick Lamar's Backseat Freestyle.

Ah
, there it is.

So I think something's probably happening when dealing with dynamically-compressed music either near or at clipping. Dropping the preamp by another couple dB helps, but there's definitely a max volume for these buds on some material. That's on Tidal, by the way.

Now here's the kicker: playing the same exact Kayzo track on Spotify produced no audible distortion, which leads me to think it's still a throughput issue. My phone is about 7 inches from the buds for all of this testing, btw. It should be getting full bandwidth.

Apr 16, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #31,997 of 62,151
Listening notes on the Grado? Just curious since their cans are always so polarizing
They are not completely a true grado sound but more well rounded sound wise then many that need a decent amount of EQ. Like many true wireless a more V sound signature. Unlike many true wireless the Grado’s have decent timing, good micro and macro dynamics combined with decent amount of detail. Not as separated as the the Falcon Pro, having three drivers definitely gives an advantage with detail and separation. Overall the Grado’s are a pleasant sound signature with just enough detail, separation and dynamics to make me keep them. To me they sound similar to the Sennheiser mtw2 just with better timing, the mtw2 seems to have bass that lags behind the rest of the music, while the Grado keeps everything more in line. The Grado’s highs are a little unrefined but not brittle or harsh, just not as clean, detailed or airy as the Nobles. The Grado’s highs are a bit more detailed then the mtw2 but the mtw2 has softer edges which makes them a little more refined sounding. Grado has quick bass that can hit when needed but far from bloated like the Sony 1000 or as slow and extended as the mtw2. More balanced, no real bleeding into the mids, this is the only spot on the 220’s that keeps Grado’s sound signature, the vocals are a little forward and have that little forceful full vocal range Grado is known for. Not overdone like some of their headphones but definitely tuned for vocals more then any other true wireless I’ve heard. The Grado timbre and texture of vocals are enough that I’m going to hold onto them.

I also recently tried the UE FITS since I have a custom iem from them and a bunch of people seem to like them. For myself while comfortable they really don’t sound like anything special, the app isn’t great. Wound up sending them back.

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #31,998 of 62,151
I have the MTW2 and had the MT's. Sound-wise, they are amazing. They went toe to toe with the MTW2, with a slightly different signature that I kind of preferred, although it was on the more musical side vs technical side for sure, and they did play at a higher volume, so I found myself reaching for them more and more. However, they have some idiosyncrasies with glitches that made me return them. However if they get a hardware revision to fix those issues and/or come out with a successor, I will be buying them again. I miss the MT sound for sure.
You guys are making me contemplate on picking up the M1+ now. I think I'll wait til Black Friday sale though. 😄

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #31,999 of 62,151
Awesome, glad they showed up!

The problem is you now have a basis for comparison as far as convenience is concerned. The first few times you choose to get up with a wired pair are going to feel a little awkward. Seems like such a minor thing, but it creeps up on you.

That being said, I do not take for granted how nice it is to put my phone down and just move around the house when I'm listening to music and not have to worry about cable management.
I just ordered the BT20S pro while I'm still waiting for the UTWS3 to ship...will see how they compare in the mean time. Maybe I'll keep both????

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #32,000 of 62,151
I just ordered the BT20S pro while I'm still waiting for the UTWS3 to ship...will see how they compare in the mean time. Maybe I'll keep both????
Makes sense to have a backup. Who the heck wants to wait for their IEMs to charge?

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #32,001 of 62,151
They are not completely a true grado sound but more well rounded sound wise then many that need a decent amount of EQ. Like many true wireless a more V sound signature. Unlike many true wireless the Grado’s have decent timing, good micro and macro dynamics combined with decent amount of detail. Not as separated as the the Falcon Pro, having three drivers definitely gives an advantage with detail and separation. Overall the Grado’s are a pleasant sound signature with just enough detail, separation and dynamics to make me keep them. To me they sound similar to the Sennheiser mtw2 just with better timing, the mtw2 seems to have bass that lags behind the rest of the music, while the Grado keeps everything more in line. The Grado’s highs are a little unrefined but not brittle or harsh, just not as clean, detailed or airy as the Nobles. The Grado’s highs are a bit more detailed then the mtw2 but the mtw2 has softer edges which makes them a little more refined sounding. Grado has quick bass that can hit when needed but far from bloated like the Sony 1000 or as slow and extended as the mtw2. More balanced, no real bleeding into the mids, this is the only spot on the 220’s that keeps Grado’s sound signature, the vocals are a little forward and have that little forceful full vocal range Grado is known for. Not overdone like some of their headphones but definitely tuned for vocals more then any other true wireless I’ve heard. The Grado timbre and texture of vocals are enough that I’m going to hold onto them.

I also recently tried the UE FITS since I have a custom iem from them and a bunch of people seem to like them. For myself while comfortable they really don’t sound like anything special, the app isn’t great. Wound up sending them back.
I agree with your assessment of the GT220. Not a true Grado house sound but very close. They are actually more well rounded than traditional over ear Grado headphones. Still the best for Rock IMO. And the upper mids are more tolerable and less piercing than the over ear counterparts. They are better value than SR225 imo.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #32,002 of 62,151
Awesome, glad they showed up!

The problem is you now have a basis for comparison as far as convenience is concerned. The first few times you choose to get up with a wired pair are going to feel a little awkward. Seems like such a minor thing, but it creeps up on you.

That being said, I do not take for granted how nice it is to put my phone down and just move around the house when I'm listening to music and not have to worry about cable management.
Without a doubt. Most of my music listening occurs when exercising or out and about. The convenience of no wires is paramount.

This is my main reason for not going too expensive investment for my return to iems.

I am just impressed at what quality can be derived with such a budget set. Major improvements from 20 years go. My old 150$ Shures never sounded this good at 6x the price.

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #32,003 of 62,151
You guys are making me contemplate on picking up the M1+ now. I think I'll wait til Black Friday sale though. 😄
By then, I bet there will be announcements for next gen stuff. We should also have the Sony xm4 out by then. The landscape will be very different. Everything we are discussing right now will be just old stuff by then lol. If it wasn't for covid, that should have been this past winter but everything on new gen stuff got pushed back a whole year into upcoming winter/fall.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #32,004 of 62,151
By then, I bet there will be announcements for next gen stuff. We should also have the Sony xm4 out by then. The landscape will be very different by then. Everything we are discussing right now will be just old stuff by then lol. If it wasn't for covid, that should have been this past winter but everything on new gen stuff got pushed back a whole year into upcoming winter/fall.
Melomania Think should be out by then.

I want a royalty on that if they actually do it...

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #32,005 of 62,151
By then, I bet there will be announcements for next gen stuff. We should also have the Sony xm4 out by then. The landscape will be very different. Everything we are discussing right now will be just old stuff by then lol. If it wasn't for covid, that should have been this past winter but everything on new gen stuff got pushed back a whole year into upcoming winter/fall.

I'm saving some pennies for the XM4's because I'm leaning towards they will be excellent and also not use that terrible form factor their current model uses. If they disappoint I'll pick up something else to pair with my MTW2.

Apr 16, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #32,006 of 62,151
I'm saving some pennies for the XM4's because I'm leaning towards they will be excellent and also not use that terrible form factor their current model uses. If they disappoint I'll pick up something else to pair with my MTW2.
I hope they make them water resistant. I want a set of earbuds I can use for the gym, running and office. Otherwise I’ll probably just get Jabra 75t active or see if anything else good comes out.

There doesn’t seem to be a do-it-all tws earbud yet. I want to be able to run with them and use them for noise cancelling as well. I don’t even care about price, I’d pay $500 for a do-it-all with great sound and an equalizer.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #32,007 of 62,151
Honestly, if I had to send one back between the MT and the M1+, I would choose the latter. I mean, both sound great to me. I had the original M1s and with foam tips (the ones CA bundles with the M1 or the M1+; Amazon has them for $10 for 5 pair), and the M1+ with the app and sound enhancement (whatever that CA engine is called), plus a basic EQ (which I don't use for the M1+) is just a home run. If you can get over the bolt-like style (I actually like click buttons over touch controls), they just fit better with the right tips. I have had issues with the MT, namely the wings hurting my right ear space after about an hour (tried all the sizes). I tried them without the wings and the right one feels like it will fall out, not snug. Also affects the sound of course (the seal always does).

And no foam tips with the MTs, only silicone. I am going to try to see if I can tip roll some foamies on the MTs so they will charge in the case. We'll see. I am keeping the MTs for now. Otherwise, they stay connected (FW updates helped) and they do sound very very nice, with bit of EQ (take a little off the bass). I sent back my first pair in fact, but tried again (changed from black to white).

To me, if you can get the M1+ fitting right and use foam tips, they are fantastic. Imagine, Amazon had the M1s for sale at $79 for a couple of weeks. $99 now. And if they drop $20 for Black Friday, all the better. I did get $20 savings rebuying the MTs, Amazon had dropped the price from $149 to $129.

As for all the new stuff coming out, my old and aging ears are at their max level, good for my wallet! Not enough that I didn't buy a pair of the Blon Mini, haha (big fan of the Blon-03 w/balanced cable and ES100)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #32,008 of 62,151
Well I just wanna head and did it in bought my 1st in ear monitor in over 20 years.

Blon bl-01. Dirt cheap at about 25$.
With no burn in and an under amped tablet because I am awaiting my USB C dac amp, all I can say is wow!

So these with no tip rolling yet no EQ etc. sound better than any tws I have heard.

Bass is no deeper than others but better texture and faster without muffling the mids.

Vocals are clear Treble is extended and maybe not most detailed compared to other iems but more than most if not all tws.

If there is one tiny criticism is sometimes the lower treble can get a tiny bit hot but not fatiguing.

Imagine with better dac Amp and burn in these will sound even better.

So I can say definitively we are not quite there yet for TWS is a 25$ but beats out 300$ buds in sound quality.

I think once bluetooth LE allows higher bit rate data transmission we will get there because the drivers are not the limitation.

The BL01 also pairs well with the BT20S Pro, and that "TWS combo" still have more bang for the buck in sound than more expensive true TWS.. well except for features like ANC, ambient, and case size

Apr 16, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #32,009 of 62,151
Unfortunately Earfun Free Pro is currently out of production, through their website, so I decided to get a SoundPeats T2, after the seller assured it is a new batch unit without the defect.

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #32,010 of 62,151
Honestly, if I had to send one back between the MT and the M1+, I would choose the latter. I mean, both sound great to me. I had the original M1s and with foam tips (the ones CA bundles with the M1 or the M1+; Amazon has them for $10 for 5 pair), and the M1+ with the app and sound enhancement (whatever that CA engine is called), plus a basic EQ (which I don't use for the M1+) is just a home run. If you can get over the bolt-like style (I actually like click buttons over touch controls), they just fit better with the right tips. I have had issues with the MT, namely the wings hurting my right ear space after about an hour (tried all the sizes). I tried them without the wings and the right one feels like it will fall out, not snug. Also affects the sound of course (the seal always does).

And no foam tips with the MTs, only silicone. I am going to try to see if I can tip roll some foamies on the MTs so they will charge in the case. We'll see. I am keeping the MTs for now. Otherwise, they stay connected (FW updates helped) and they do sound very very nice, with bit of EQ (take a little off the bass). I sent back my first pair in fact, but tried again (changed from black to white).

To me, if you can get the M1+ fitting right and use foam tips, they are fantastic. Imagine, Amazon had the M1s for sale at $79 for a couple of weeks. $99 now. And if they drop $20 for Black Friday, all the better. I did get $20 savings rebuying the MTs, Amazon had dropped the price from $149 to $129.

As for all the new stuff coming out, my old and aging ears are at their max level, good for my wallet! Not enough that I didn't buy a pair of the Blon Mini, haha (big fan of the Blon-03 w/balanced cable and ES100)
Yeah, that's when I had the M1's the first time around, when they were on sale for $79. I didn't like the bass at the time though, so I returned them. I also like the bullet style form factor more than the MT's. Since they added support for the app now (EQ), that makes it more enticing to give them a second chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back