Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 4, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #30,121 of 63,214
Can't remember if you've tried the UEs. I would say similar things you have about the N6 Pro with the exception of subbass being plenty healthy if someone wants to EQ it all in there. I haven't wanted more than what the UE Signature curve (or whatever it's called) provides.
I'll have to look them up. I haven't had some UEs since the very first UE over ear Bluetooth headphones (can't remember the model anymore, as I no longer have them). They were really good, but very boomy in the bass department, but not as bad as some I have heard. That would be a very nice sounding TWS indeed (I would think). You don't find them the best, or they just don't have features you need? My needs are simple: sound quality, connectivity, fitment, battery life..... other features are a bonus but not absolute. I DO like transparency mode, but don't need ANC at all.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #30,122 of 63,214
I'll have to look them up. I haven't had some UEs since the very first UE over ear Bluetooth headphones (can't remember the model anymore, as I no longer have them). They were really good, but very boomy in the bass department, but not as bad as some I have heard. That would be a very nice sounding TWS indeed (I would think). You don't find them the best, or they just don't have features you need? My needs are simple: sound quality, connectivity, fitment, battery life..... other features are a bonus but not absolute. I DO like transparency mode, but don't need ANC at all.
Used to own some of the Triple.Fi stuff and can relate to your experience. In stock form, the FITS seem somewhat bass-light, but it doesn't take much to get sucked up into the music as long as your source material is good and I suppose someone could EQ more in to suit their tastes without it overwhelming the rest of the FR.

Of all the pairs I have, it's the UE's sound signature I love the most. Just doesn't have the same feature stack of its competitors and I'm still waiting on UE to send a replacement set of tips to see if I can't negotiate a better seal out of the right earbud. We're talking hair-splitting levels of seal improvement, though, and it's really just my attempt to squeeze the last couple percent of passive performance out of them. There's no ANC, no hearthrough, no wireless charging, and microphone quality is plenty usable (though not exceptional). Battery life is more than adequate. It's funny how you forget about all of that once you've got music playing through them, though.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #30,123 of 63,214
I was in the process of typing up a justification for why I shouldn't order the Technics, but I think I've run out of reasons. I do know that WorldWideStereo has them available for $200 and take Affirm, so I can at least start the order and just pay them off after the next billing cycle.

Enablers. You guys are enablers. All of you.

It was a team effort. I just re-ordered the Technics from Amazon for $200, they'll be here on Saturday. Will try them for a few days otherwise they will go back and I will just wait for something else.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #30,124 of 63,214
If they have the proper hardware support, it's possible for them to add it in. Whether they can or whether they will are two different questions though. Even if they can, I doubt they will. Far more profitable to make you buy a new product if you want said feature compared to a net loss of profit to put it in old products.

Indeed, would it be in their interest, my question is more for an unreleased TWS headset, specifically the WF-1000XM4. I don't have the exact time for when they will be released, the retail box design is supposed to be finalized in april/may with priduction starting shortly after, not sure what the timeframe is from SOP to introduction. This is all assuming sony sticks with the MT2811 (found in the WF-1000XM3) which has been certified for 5.2

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #30,125 of 63,214
Indeed, would it be in their interest, my question is more for an unreleased TWS headset, specifically the WF-1000XM4. I don't have the exact time for when they will be released, the retail box design is supposed to be finalized in april/may with priduction starting shortly after, not sure what the timeframe is from SOP to introduction. This is all assuming sony sticks with the MT2811 (found in the WF-1000XM3) which has been certified for 5.2

Sounds like a June/July release for the Sony's then?

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #30,126 of 63,214
I usually don't need ANC on, so I could probably get 4-5 hours out of them. I don't have a usage scenario where I'd ever need that much straight battery life. Today using them close to 2 hours in a row was an anomaly. But that could change. I ordered the Technics the other day but cancelled the order but might re-order. The reviews of those do say they reach the advertised battery life of 6.5 hours WITH ANC ON. I would like to think the reviewers were listening to them at over 50% volume but they did not specify. 6.5 hours at a good volume with ANC on would be plenty for me, cause they would last longer with ANC off, and plenty for pretty much any usage scenario I can ever think of getting into, besides very long international trips. Nothing I will encounter anytime soon, and one can just bring a pair of wired buds with to fill in gaps on such journeys.

I do really like the feature the Senns have of pausing the music when you take one out of your ear. That comes in handy a lot, more so than the ambient mode. But I think the Technics will be tried next.

Just a warning the Technics suffer a battery case drain issue not too dissimilar from the 1st generation MTW.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #30,127 of 63,214
Another couple interesting options for those of you who are looking to adopt aptX Adaptive, but might want some more options:

Found one for the Nuarl fans:
https://nuarl.com/n6sports/
Those are good TWS, can’t comment on the APTX adaptive though cause I don’t test it, but sound quality wise they are good. It have more bass (just a tad) than the N6 Mini (which is already warm), less tight and slower as well, I personally choose the Mini due to the less bass than the sports ones.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #30,128 of 63,214
Just a warning the Technics suffer a battery case drain issue not too dissimilar from the 1st generation MTW.
Talking about idle drain while buds are inside the case?

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #30,129 of 63,214
I was in the process of typing up a justification for why I shouldn't order the Technics, but I think I've run out of reasons. I do know that WorldWideStereo has them available for $200 and take Affirm, so I can at least start the order and just pay them off after the next billing cycle.

Enablers. You guys are enablers. All of you.

I had bought them over Xmas in same for about 135$ US at the time. Was impressed with the details and the mids. Found the bass was making as was the overall volume.
The bigger issue for me was they didn't fit the best. Feel it of my ears with any vigorous head movement. Also they apparently drain while in the case like the original MTW.

If those aren't issues for you they are a nice product.

But been listening to the MT. They sound in a word luscious. Definitely a warmer sound but with EQ the highs still come through nicely and better than the 85t.
Sound stage is really great and the bass is best I have heard.
They seem configurable which is important for me as I struggle with that.
I had a bit of a fit issue with right ear as the large tip while hunting a good deal would lose it with a smile or lying down.

A perfect relevant on the right is the large size tip from the Sennheiser's. Large stock tip on left and large Sennheiser on right. Perfect seal!
So for those who might need something a bit bigger than the stock large it might be a go.

Since I plan to keep the cx400bt my tip issue might be fixed without further purchases!

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #30,130 of 63,214
I love my T90's, and they are very detailed cans, with solid bass. So I can't see the Technics not being fun enough for me. They seem to have solid bass, just not MTW2 levels of bass, but bass that extends well. Definitely worth a listen.

Also, using the Senns again after the JBL Club Pro Plus was a pleasure because the touch controls work so much better. You need that big round surface area for touch controls to work well. I, at least, use the on bud touch controls a lot to skip tracks and occasionally to turn on ambient mode or turn ANC on or off. The Technics have that surface area.
I felt bass was weak on the AZ70. It was a very good TWS certainly, but if your focus is on bass, I think they would be bit undermining and missing the oomph you expect from the lows/drums/rumbling. It's worth trying to see what you think but just my thoughts.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #30,131 of 63,214
You just described the Melomania touch!

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #30,132 of 63,214
Talking about idle drain while buds are inside the case?

Yes the case continuously tried to charge the buds even when they are charged up and so the case drains down over time. Most buds the case store when buds are charged up.
Read about it to confirm. This was a bit issue assistant with the first Sennheiser bud

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #30,133 of 63,214
Yes send the case continuously tried to charge the buds even when they are charged up and so the case drains down over time. Most buds the case store when buds are charged up.
Read about it to confirm. This was a bit issue assistant with the first Sennheiser bud

I've read a lot of reviews of the Technics and never read that comment. I did find that commented a lot about the first MTW.

I ordered the MT's also. I can't afford both the Technics and the MT so I'll return one or both, but I have 4 weeks before my next billing cycle so it's a no brainer.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #30,134 of 63,214
But been listening to the MT. They sound in a word luscious. Definitely a warmer sound but with EQ the highs still come through nicely and better than the 85t.
Sound stage is really great and the bass is best I have heard.
Glad you like 'em! They really just have a special quality to them that's hard to quantify. Good luck nailing down that fit!
I felt bass was weak on the AZ70. It was a very good TWS certainly, but if your focus is on bass, I think they would be bit undermining and missing the oomph you expect from the lows/drums/rumbling. It's worth trying to see what you think but just my thoughts.
My goal is always for what grabs me the most natural timbre out of a track, but can be configured for a little fun, if necessary. Bit of a pipe dream in the TWS space, but it's been a fun journey so far.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #30,135 of 63,214
I volunteered for the Edifier... anybody want to give these a shot? Pretty ridiculous coupon right now.

Screenshot_20210304-164926.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back