Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 4, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #30,151 of 62,971
I know a few around here myself included experienced the case issue and saw it in a review somewhere as well bit don't recall which one.

Ask @dweaver
I have noticed the power drain a bit but not much and nothing like the original MTW.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #30,152 of 62,971
LOL. Yeah, I'm not even sure I believe that AKG even tuned those free buds that came with the note 8, 9, 10...
I remember reading something about them acquiring the company and keeping the name only. Maybe an engineer or two survived the transfer, who knows? They've just been slapping the AKG name on all of their stuff to gain market share since, though.

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #30,153 of 62,971
I remember reading something about them acquiring the company and keeping the name only. Maybe an engineer or two survived the transfer, who knows? They've just been slapping the AKG name on all of their stuff to gain market share since, though.
All I know is that if AKG tuned those buds, I hate AKG.... hehe Though I can say that those buds CAN take a good amount of EQ and don't sound totally as bad as they do out of the box (not great either).

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #30,154 of 62,971
Man, that's about as shameless as Samsung with AKG...

might be a different story though.. as the Samsung did own AKG now, so they're not exactly rebranding, but using the tech to make their own.
that Onkyo might be more similar to Nakamichi, which is straight up taking OEM products and rebranding it with their's

on the other news, this looks great, though the features are not up to par with the competition :
https://www.theverge.com/22312301/marshall-mode-ii-earbuds-review-features-price

cwelch_210303_4458_0001sq.jpg

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #30,155 of 62,971
might be a different story though.. as the Samsung did own AKG now, so they're not exactly rebranding, but using the tech to make their own.
that Onkyo might be more similar to Nakamichi, which is straight up taking OEM products and rebranding it with their's

on the other news, this looks great, though the features are not up to par with the competition :
https://www.theverge.com/22312301/marshall-mode-ii-earbuds-review-features-price

cwelch_210303_4458_0001sq.jpg
I can agree with the reviewer's sentiment about this release needing to be a bit more polished before release if they were going to take this long. That aesthetic is so weird. Feel like I'd find that tucked in with the spare tire in back.

Bet they'd sound great, though. Priced well enough, I think.

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #30,156 of 62,971

Marshall headphone are rebranded Urbanears (both owned by Zound, Adidas headphones too). Though I do tend to like the styling queues that Marshall and Urbanears take.

Mar 4, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #30,157 of 62,971
You can try one of these:

The second one isn't bad at all, though still a bit bassy for my tastes.

Speaking of someone else tuning, does Marshall tune their own stuff now? I still have some OG Marshall Monitor over ears, and they still have the best bass of all the headphones I have tried in all the years since, so I didn't care that they didn't tune them themselves. They need a bit of help on the high end though. They are not quite audiophile quality sound, but boy are they fun. I still listen to them even now, although the pleather coating on the headband is cracking and coming apart...

Edit: Ya' beat me to it @tinyman392 :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #30,158 of 62,971
Marshall headphone are rebranded Urbanears (both owned by Zound, Adidas headphones too). Though I do tend to like the styling queues that Marshall and Urbanears take.

now that i didn't know, though it does not surprise me that they do that. thanks for the info

The second one isn't bad at all, though still a bit bassy for my tastes.

Speaking of someone else tuning, does Marshall tune their own stuff now? I still have some OG Marshall Monitor over ears, and they still have the best bass of all the headphones I have tried in all the years since, so I didn't care that they didn't tune them themselves. They need a bit of help on the high end though. They are not quite audiophile quality sound, but boy are they fun. I still listen to them even now, although the pleather coating on the headband is cracking and coming apart...

Edit: Ya' beat me to it @tinyman392 :)

seeing how big and diverse their products now, i doubt they make those themselves and only cashing in on their classic amp looks.
i don't think even guitarists would jump and buy their products other than their amps, other than to have that "old stack amps" look

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #30,159 of 62,971
I've owned a set of Q300 for years at this point. Only upgraded them when I wanted to go with towers, so I totally get it. Those Q300 make amazing near-field monitors; shame I don't have the desk space for the stands at the moment. Those spaces are currently occupied by both of my work laptops.
Wow nice! I’d heard great things about KEF speakers and when I saw the m3u, I figured I’d give them a try. I’d just lost my Bose NC buds
and although i like their sound, my N6P’s aren’t NC

so glad I got these. I wonder how many hours fully burns them in? Using a Tidal white noise playlist that cycles through the frequencies

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #30,160 of 62,971
Unrelated: WOW! Just noticed that the Marshall Monitors are still available, but I wouldn't pay $199 for them nowadays. There are just too many options that are better and cost less. It doesn't look like they have even changed the webpage for them either... haha I think IIRC that I originally bought those back in 2006 or 2007??

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #30,162 of 62,971
Wow nice! I’d heard great things about KEF speakers and when I saw the m3u, I figured I’d give them a try. I’d just lost my Bose NC buds
and although i like their sound, my N6P’s aren’t NC

so glad I got these. I wonder how many hours fully burns them in? Using a Tidal white noise playlist that cycles through the frequencies
I'm not sure we're going to see benefit from burning in these types of earbuds. They usually have at least one coating on the dynamic driver used (graphene, beryllium, random precious metals) to keep it as rigid as possible. More likely it's your ears that are getting used to the KEF's characteristics over time.

Mar 4, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #30,163 of 62,971
I'm not sure we're going to see benefit from burning in these types of earbuds. They usually have at least one coating on the dynamic driver used (graphene, beryllium, random precious metals) to keep it as rigid as possible. More likely it's your ears that are getting used to the KEF's characteristics over time.
How would you compare the sound signature of the mu3 to your Q300s? I also have the old Q series and was pretty excited to see KEF throw their hat in the ring. They make great stuff.

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #30,164 of 62,971
The more I read about the MT the more I am excited about them coming here on Sunday. But really, micro USB? I mean come on, USB-C should be the norm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back