Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 14, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #27,706 of 62,273
Just received my Devialet Gemini's this morning. First impressions are very positive as the packaging and phones themselves appear to be of very high quality. As per the recommendations suggested in a pre-delivery email, I updated the firmware. Both initial pairing and the subsequent update went smoothly. I found the noise cancelling to be very effective and the test for optimum fitment went well after I repositioned one side a bit.

They fit my ears beautifully and best of all, the nozzles are of a size to permit the use of about any tips, plus there is plenty of room in the charging case for nearly any imaginable size tips to fit.

The app allows for a number of customizations including custom EQs and a number of selectable presets. The touchpads do not require a press, just a moderate touch.

Ultimately, the final measure of flagship quality is the SQ and so far I can say that the Gemini sound better to me than any of my previous TWS phones regardless of cost. Soundstage is quite expansive and tonality seems to be spot-on for me using the default setting.

I do need to conduct further testing to establish the bluetooth parameters and further evaluate the sonic performance of different genre's using a number of my test tracks.

The only negative I have found so far (which might be a deal-breaker for some) is that there is no volume control capability via touch buttons, rather volume must be controlled via your Bluetooth source.

I will post any additional comments as I conduct further testing.
BTW, the Gemini is covered by a 2-year warranty.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #27,707 of 62,273
Just received my Devialet Gemini's this morning. First impressions are very positive as the packaging and phones themselves appear to be of very high quality. As per the recommendations suggested in a pre-delivery email, I updated the firmware. Both initial pairing and the subsequent update went smoothly. I found the noise cancelling to be very effective and the test for optimum fitment went well after I repositioned one side a bit.

They fit my ears beautifully and best of all, the nozzles are of a size to permit the use of about any tips, plus there is plenty of room in the charging case for nearly any imaginable size tips to fit.

The app allows for a number of customizations including custom EQs and a number of selectable presets. The touchpads do not require a press, just a moderate touch.

Ultimately, the final measure of flagship quality is the SQ and so far I can say that the Gemini sound better to me than any of my previous TWS phones regardless of cost. Soundstage is quite expansive and tonality seems to be spot-on for me using the default setting.

I do need to conduct further testing to establish the bluetooth parameters and further evaluate the sonic performance of different genre's using a number of my test tracks.

The only negative I have found so far (which might be a deal-breaker for some) is that there is no volume control capability via touch buttons, rather volume must be controlled via your Bluetooth source.

I will post any additional comments as I conduct further testing.
BTW, the Gemini is covered by a 2-year warranty.
Thanks. I am tempted. Which tws have you owned to date?

Dec 14, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #27,709 of 62,273
Just ordered the Bomaker Sifi 2 off Amazon.ca for $25 ($20USD). I hope they can get somewhat close to the sound of my beloved first gen Bomaker Sifi, which I'm worried will fail one day after all my abuse.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #27,710 of 62,273
oh no, it's not just perception :frowning2: switch ANC on and the volume drops a click or two and the mid and highs take over, even if you increase the volume again.

No, ANC doesn't stay on with mine either. Pop em in the case, and they go back to normal.
I think a seal/mic resonance might be part of the problem though. When I fiddle with the seal I can hear the tuning become too boomy temporarily until they are settled down. The overall sounds reminds me of the 1More Triple driver and like those they have great detail retrieval but are very unforgiving of "poorly" mastered tracks. Even songs that have a mild intentionally added vinyl crackle sound scratchy on them.

Not sure if it's just my ears, but I also think the left side has more treble than the right in some situations. I've had this issue with many other TWS, some worse than others. The left bud also has slightly more hiss than the right but it is quite faint, except when I turn on ambient mode it seems to have a slight buzzing sound.

Yeah I wish they had your last ANC setting by default and also not have to cycle through all the modes. Don't know if we'll be getting anymore firmware updates. Are yours manufactured after June 2020? Mine was April 2020 but came with the THX/QuietMax update. 1More was assuring people that if they have the latest firmware all is good, but some users were stilll skeptical of it and think some earlier units support the firmware but have inferior hardware.

EDIT: I removed eartips and earhooks a few times and now the right earbud has some clickiness to the housing when I mount them and occasionally when I yawn. Seems like the seams are not very well glued together...

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #27,712 of 62,273
Thanks. I am tempted. Which tws have you owned to date?
Jabra 65t, 75t, Libratone Track Air+, Creative Outlier Air, Mifo 05, Shanling MTW100 (BA), B7, Back Bay Duet, Bomaker SiFi, Fiil T1X, EOZ Air, Liberty Air Pro, Mavin Air-X, TRN BT20S, Cleer Goal, plus several other forgettables.

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #27,713 of 62,273
I'm a newbie and have been using MTW1 for over a year now. I also have 65t and Samsung Buds Live in the true wireless category. I love the sound of Buds Live (I used to like MTW1 before I got the Buds Live). Can anyone tell me how you would describe the sound of the Buds Live with equalizer in the "Clear" setting? It will help me identify what my sound preference is. TIA.

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #27,715 of 62,273
Got the Bose QC today, they sound overall like it's underwater and not as high quality at all has all it's competitors I listed earlier. Also a tad bright. These fin things are kind of annoying are digging into my earr but no immediate discomfort with the smallest size ones. I bought some INAIR foams tip for them and removed the fins but yeah that was awful idea, just having the bud on doesn't work you get raw plastic in your ear. I wonder if anyone had some other eartips for this? Anyway will wear them for a whilst and see if I can get used to the sound. The fit may be more comfy. Still open to anymore suggestions. Listening to some guitar solos now and the high pitched stuff sounds pretty harsh at times. Seems like this forum hasn't got a thread for these? :-S

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #27,717 of 62,273
I'd just like to re-share the TWS @hifi80sman (IIRC) turned me on to - the JBL Club Pro + ANC. For me, they were just very clean sounding out of the box, but they EQ extremely well, and I have adjusted mine to have the bassy spaciousness I like in a headphone. (Super treble sensitive)

I would encourage you @greenkomodo1 to give them a shot if they fit your ears well. My previous favorite were the Nuarl N6 (non pro).

Dec 15, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #27,718 of 62,273
I'd just like to re-share the TWS @hifi80sman (IIRC) turned me on to - the JBL Club Pro + ANC. For me, they were just very clean sounding out of the box, but they EQ extremely well, and I have adjusted mine to have the bassy spaciousness I like in a headphone. (Super treble sensitive)

I would encourage you @greenkomodo1 to give them a shot if they fit your ears well. My previous favorite were the Nuarl N6 (non pro).

Many thanks!! I have been abusing Amazon's return policy to the max in my headphone search but those JBL' aren't sold on Amazon UK or barely on eBay. Anyway shall keep an eye. Cheers.

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #27,720 of 62,273
How are the chifi TWS coming along? They've been dominating iems for the last 5 years, but YouTube doesn't seem to be covering them much. Shame. Looking for something in the 200-300 region.

Problem with ChiFi and especially with TWS is that the majority is just garbage in terms of sound quality and connectivity. Rebranding all over the place, no support etc. so many people are more comfortable purchasing a known commodity even if it’s a little more expensive expensive.
Many ChiFi products feel like it’s a classic attempt to throw it against the wall to see what sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back