Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 9, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #27,166 of 62,692
Not a comment on its overall SQ (which perhaps just as a matter of taste, didn't blow me away) but seeing as it's one of its listed features I have this feedback about the FiiL T1 XS: The transparency mode is useless for its intended purpose.

I couldn't tell if it was 'on' apart from trebly sounds only (clinks and clanks) being amplified and bursting through what I was listening to.
Hearing what someone in the same room is saying to you? Not a chance, anything not distinctly high pitched or the kind of thing that usually gets through your isolation is locked out. They advertise it as being a way to have important spoken announcements piped through, this was not the case for me.

I didn't love the lack of button customization, or the deafults (I did try both types of button setting).

I know the main emphasis here is SQ, but just my 2¢ about its other features, when the SQ wasn't as stand-out as I'd expected.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #27,167 of 62,692
I think so. Bose still has the best sound stage and probably the best for movies, etc. but the JBL still have the technical advantage. Best Buy has them in stock and also have their extended holiday return policy just in case.
Have you compared to the AKG N400s by any chance? I have had my eye on those for a while.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #27,168 of 62,692
Have you compared to the AKG N400s by any chance? I have had my eye on those for a while.

I am seconding the JBL's as a worthwhile listen - I just received mine today and am putting them through their paces, acoustically. The bass extension is for real, and are the main way in which these blow right past the AKG N400 in my experience. Those, when pushed in the lower frequencies at all, did not perform well for me. I tried out and returned the AKG N400 very quickly.

The JBL's have great EQ ability - I'm just annoyed I can't change the volume/convert the long tap and hold away from an assistant to modify volume.

If JBL releases an update to the firmware to let the gestures be fully customized, that would be awesome. The one other thing that would really make these my top choice would be multipoint for the JBL.

I'm not for sure keeping the JBL yet, but I plan to test the mic for calls etc soon and decide if I can live without multipoint in this set.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #27,170 of 62,692
I am seconding the JBL's as a worthwhile listen - I just received mine today and am putting them through their paces, acoustically. The bass extension is for real, and are the main way in which these blow right past the AKG N400 in my experience. Those, when pushed in the lower frequencies at all, did not perform well for me. I tried out and returned the AKG N400 very quickly.

The JBL's have great EQ ability - I'm just annoyed I can't change the volume/convert the long tap and hold away from an assistant to modify volume.

If JBL releases an update to the firmware to let the gestures be fully customized, that would be awesome. The one other thing that would really make these my top choice would be multipoint for the JBL.

I'm not for sure keeping the JBL yet, but I plan to test the mic for calls etc soon and decide if I can live without multipoint in this set.
Thanks. Very helpful. Would be interested in your impressions om call quality as well. Also, are you using them with Android by any chance?

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #27,171 of 62,692
Thanks. Very helpful. Would be interested in your impressions om call quality as well. Also, are you using them with Android by any chance?

I am on a 2020 iPhone SE, sadly. Will get back to you on call quality.

I did just notice that the bass extension/some audio characteristics including volume are limited with the ANC on - with an effect almost like a soft form of gain reduction to decrease clipping, this effect goes away, and the headphone will be considerably louder at the same volume setting (careful!) if you toggle off ANC in the app. With ANC off, they will be louder and you can push the EQ further.

This also gives me some hope they may make improvements to the firmware (volume controls, but also ANC/feature/sound improvement).

Nov 9, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #27,173 of 62,692
Bought a pair that I have liked the look of since they were about $30 for me last night. The Atta Gora Liberte.
1604964503379.png

1604964566076.png

1604964604037.png

Have to charge them. At least they come with a paper inside telling you you remove the battery tabs and then charge. The tabs are black with a long pull so most would notice them covering the battery terminals anyway. Still need to charge. Qi wireless charging them atm. Mostly about looks but supposed to be 25M range and there are reports of the SQ being good. Design is cool with the leather strap and bar LEDS. Bottom of the strap covers the USB C port with a metal tab on the strap and a magnet just below the USB port. Only connected the right side as the left needs a charge but seems to be decent sounding Graphene drivers in them. Nice looking grills but may take them off if they are too bassy...
1604965289931.png

Time will tell but they are pretty cool. No frills just a long range, good fit, solid sound and a cool design. I even overlooked they don't do volume control.

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #27,174 of 62,692
Nov 10, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #27,175 of 62,692
Is the JBL IP rated? I can't seem to find anything online.
The box says "sweat and water resistant", however, it doesn't actually disclose a rating.

Apparently "Ray" at Customer Support says it's IPX4. Odd it's not actually listed, but then again, they don't list AAC either.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #27,176 of 62,692
Looks like the same shell & case variant as the Cleer Ally Plus but with better specs and full touch controls. Very intriguing, as I was initially looking at the Cleer a while back.

Sidenote - I have the Cleer Ally Pluses - if you are on android you can actually download the SoundID app right now and they have support for the Cleers, so not sure if the Mono's offer anything more ? ( https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid/supported-headphones -- see if your TWS is on there, I also notice Klipsch, 1MORE, Edifer etc) --- supported apps here : https://support.sonarworks.com/hc/e...alization-for-most-popular-Android-music-apps - alas no Tidal yet

I have to say though, listening with Spotify - when one listens to spotify WITHOUT soundID installed the music sounds a certain way. Once you install and calibrate the soundID app to your liking, it all feels very impressive, then you listen to the same track again when you toggle soundID off it is a TOTALLY different sound, much different from what Spotify sounded like prior to soundID's installation. Then you toggle soundID on and lo and behold it sounds better but this all very suspicious as the A/B is no longer between soundID and vanilla spotify, but between soundID and....something else that sounds obviously worse. Give it a try and let us know what you find if you feel likewise inclined ? If you force stop both spotify and soundID, then relaunch spotify you'll get back your original vanilla sound.

This makes it all very difficult to work out what it is doing relative to an app's original sound!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #27,177 of 62,692
Sidenote - I have the Cleer Ally Pluses - if you are on android you can actually download the SoundID app right now and they have support for the Cleers, so not sure if the Mono's offer anything more ? ( https://www.sonarworks.com/soundid/supported-headphones -- see if your TWS is on there, I also notice Klipsch, 1MORE, Edifer etc) --- supported apps here : https://support.sonarworks.com/hc/e...alization-for-most-popular-Android-music-apps - alas no Tidal yet

I have to say though, listening with Spotify - when one listens to spotify WITHOUT soundID installed the music sounds a certain way. Once you install and calibrate the soundID app to your liking, it all feels very impressive, then you listen to the same track again when you toggle soundID off it is a TOTALLY different sound, much different from what Spotify sounded like prior to soundID's installation. Then you toggle soundID on and lo and behold it sounds better but this all very suspicious as the A/B is no longer between soundID and vanilla spotify, but between soundID and....something else that sounds obviously worse. Give it a try and let us know what you find if you feel likewise inclined ? If you force stop both spotify and soundID, then relaunch spotify you'll get back your original vanilla sound.

This makes it all very difficult to work out what it is doing relative to an app's original sound!
It is confusing because this is all so new and because it is unknown what SoundID actually does.

SoundID Listen app used to only do the testing, build a profile, and store it in the cloud. It didn't play at all, except for a sample. The player was only on Mac/PC and only with the supported headphones on the list linked above. SoundID off on Mac compared to play direct, with volume compensation, appears to be the same as without SoundID though caveats apply (no quantitative data and tested it ages ago)

Now, there seems to be (I am not connected/working for Sonarworks so if their is someone from Sonarworks lurking, please correct me) two different things going on:
1. The new Mono TWS (which may also be seen to be Cleer's by the app) which is in the app
2. SoundID Music Apps beta, which appears to be using similar Android technolgy to Wavelet to capture the audio routing (was released days ago). This could be causing the weirdness since it is always in the audio path
  • If you are on Android, are using Music Apps beta then you should be able to tell the difference if you run say VLC or Tidal versus Spotify. If Spotify sounds better then SoundID is using Music Apps Beta.
  • If you are on iOS or Android then only the Mono TWS should be SoundID changed all the time
  • If you are on Android and using something other than the Mono TWS e.g. Jabra 75 and using Music Apps Beta then Spotify should be SoundID played.
I think that what SoundID does for Mono TWS is load the DSP in the Qualcomm 5124 with the SoundID profile given Sonarworks have already calibrated the headphone, or rather I hope that's the case.

It could be that the Cleer and Mono are so close that SoundID can't tell the difference and so you can get (1) using Cleer as well as Mono.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #27,179 of 62,692
It is confusing because this is all so new and because it is unknown what SoundID actually does.

SoundID Listen app used to only do the testing, build a profile, and store it in the cloud. It didn't play at all, except for a sample. The player was only on Mac/PC and only with the supported headphones on the list linked above. SoundID off on Mac compared to play direct, with volume compensation, appears to be the same as without SoundID though caveats apply (no quantitative data and tested it ages ago)

Now, there seems to be (I am not connected/working for Sonarworks so if their is someone from Sonarworks lurking, please correct me) two different things going on:
1. The new Mono TWS (which may also be seen to be Cleer's by the app) which is in the app
2. SoundID Music Apps beta, which appears to be using similar Android technolgy to Wavelet to capture the audio routing (was released days ago). This could be causing the weirdness since it is always in the audio path
  • If you are on Android, are using Music Apps beta then you should be able to tell the difference if you run say VLC or Tidal versus Spotify. If Spotify sounds better then SoundID is using Music Apps Beta.
  • If you are on iOS or Android then only the Mono TWS should be SoundID changed all the time
  • If you are on Android and using something other than the Mono TWS e.g. Jabra 75 and using Music Apps Beta then Spotify should be SoundID played.
I think that what SoundID does for Mono TWS is load the DSP in the Qualcomm 5124 with the SoundID profile given Sonarworks have already calibrated the headphone, or rather I hope that's the case.

It could be that the Cleer and Mono are so close that SoundID can't tell the difference and so you can get (1) using Cleer as well as Mono.

This is very helpful information, thankyou! Tidal ( which the app does not support )vs spotify with soundID on sounds very comparable. Vs spotify with soundID toggled off, the latter sounds weak. Disable soundID and the signatures sound comparable again. Very odd. Interesting you mention wavelet, I think I noticed similar there also. I wonder if the mere presence of the app in the audio capture pipeline simply affects sound, period, regardless if whether processing is enabled? Curious if anyone else here wants to give it a try?

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back