Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 23, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #25,202 of 62,233
Maybe the Mavin Air-XR? I don't know if I can call the low end massive but it has good quantity and reaches deep. Still my personal favorite.

I had the anker soundcore liberty 2 pro also and that had basshead quantity but way more treble. Fortunately it does have an app with both preset and user adjustable EQ, which saves on the buds. I didn't find the fit to be that good personally tho.

Take these with a grain of salt. I just got a Dayton IMM-6 (microphone) and am trying to get my measurements somewhat interpretable compared to standard stuff. I didn't have properly sized foam tips and was just using some clear vinyl/plastic tubing from the hardware store as the coupler. So the silicone bass may be slightly exaggerated and the foam less than it really is for both bass and upper treble.
Air-XR Foam vs Silicone 2.jpg

Here is the ones done of the e5000 thanks to crinacle and his impressive database of measurements. Done with better equipment, experience and more towards industry standards than mine.
graph (5).png

In any case, the general signature is more similar than I expected but I doubt the detail retrieval and other more technical qualities will be as good as the e5000. Might be worth a shot though.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #25,203 of 62,233
I doubt you´re going to find a TWS with that refinement, the AKG N400 might comes close.

Theres also the Ibasso MMCX adaptor.
Yeah, I know it's a big ask. I will look into the N400's. Thanks!

Maybe the Mavin Air-XR? I don't know if I can call the low end massive but it has good quantity and reaches deep. Still my personal favorite.

I had the anker soundcore liberty 2 pro also and that had basshead quantity but way more treble. Fortunately it does have an app with both preset and user adjustable EQ, which saves on the buds. I didn't find the fit to be that good personally tho.

Take these with a grain of salt. I just got a Dayton IMM-6 and am trying to get my measurements somewhat interpretable compared to standard stuff. I didn't have properly sized foam tips and was just using some clear vinyl/plastic tubing from the hardware store as the coupler. So the silicone bass may be slightly exaggerated and the foam less than it really is for both bass and upper treble.
Hey, thanks for such a great and detailed response. I haven't heard of the Mavin or Dayton. I've looked into the Soundcores and they look like they are too big and heavy (and not comfy) but perhaps I will try them out at some point. But I will look into the other two. Thanks!

Aug 23, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #25,204 of 62,233
Aug 23, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #25,205 of 62,233
Hey, thanks for such a great and detailed response. I haven't heard of the Mavin or Dayton. I've looked into the Soundcores and they look like they are too big and heavy (and not comfy) but perhaps I will try them out at some point. But I will look into the other two. Thanks!

Dayton IMM-6 is the microphone I used to take the measurements. So just the Mavins are what I was recommending as a possibility.

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #25,206 of 62,233
Yeah, I know it's a big ask. I will look into the N400's. Thanks!

51CAEB29-1C01-47D5-B997-7B6B459B6519.jpeg

I love my N400 but you need to know it doesn’t sound anything like the E5000.
It is brighter and not as warm sounding.

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #25,207 of 62,233
Just wanted to put in my two cents about the Panasonic RZ-S500w and the Technics AZ70. I got both of these yesterday because I have been dying to try them out and they were both on sale on Amazon US. I've updated them both to their latest firmware, which I feel like hurt the sound of the Techniques a bit.

Pros - Build quality is very good, better on the Technics (metal finish is fantastic)

Touch Controls are responsive and work every time I touch them, they are also reasonable quick.

Battery life is great so far.

Connection is rock solid, phone calls are great, however you can't really adjust the sidetone while on a call, that's a con.

USB-C charging

Comfortable to wear for long periods and the ear tips they come with are also very comfortable and in an assortment of sizes.

Sound Quality - this is a pro and a con. The quality is very good, but not amazing. it's def. better on the Technics. No sub or ok punchy bass.
anyone who owns the Tevi's will know what i'm talking about when I say these just don't have the detail and sound stage the Tevi has, but The Pannny's and Technics aren't
terrrible to listen to by any means, they actually sound quite good. I like that the app has a basic graphic eq, even if it's quite limited. They don't quite sparkle on the high end like the tevi or the FIIL. (tested at AAC with stock tips.) but overall I quite like the Techniques, the more I listened to them the more I liked them.

Cons - Ambient Mode- Sorry but this is TERRIBLE on both. The sound is really muffled and just not loud enough to do any good. compared to the APPs, Elite 75T and the Apollo Bold, these sound like crap.

ANC- The ANC is def. effective and i'd say it's very good but not like the APPs and XM3's. Even with the passive noise isolation you get from having the buds sealed in your ear canals, they should just do a much better job. My thought is they lightened up on ANC to save battery.

No Wireless Charging, for the money, then should have this feature

Customizable Controls - I'd like to see them take after Jabra and allow users to customize the controls without compromising features like the XM3 etc..

Price - Personally for $150-200 an earbud should have better ambient sound and ANC. If Tronsmart is making a comparable product for $80, these should be in the $100 - 130 range IMO. Don't get me wrong, they are much nicer quality than the Apollo and they sound better, but it's not night and day by any means.

Overall, if you don't already own a pair of ANC/Ambient TWS, these are worth considering, especially if you don't' care about the ambient mode, because it's almost useless. i'd give them a 7.5/10. For me personally they are both going back to amazon. I will mention also, the Panny's I received were purchased new and they came used, I spent some time cleaning them and getting someone else's ear wax off them :rage:. I called Amazon to inform them and they told me to call Panasonic. :rolling_eyes: Idiots.
Fair enough. One thing I definitely disagree with is ANC on the Panasonic's relative to the XM3- the Panny's are better for all of the scenarios I tested them in, which included mowing the lawn where the Panny's are much better and did not require me turning up the volume of the music, unlike the XM3s.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #25,211 of 62,233
Fair enough. One thing I definitely disagree with is ANC on the Panasonic's relative to the XM3- the Panny's are better for all of the scenarios I tested them in, which included mowing the lawn where the Panny's are much better and did not require me turning up the volume of the music, unlike the XM3s.
Interesting, I tested them mowing vs. the Apollo Bold with the panasonic M tips on both and the ANC was similar but the Bold provided more isolation. I've tested the XM3 vs. the Bold with the Medium tips that came with the bold and the XM3 is noticeably quieter. If they would just boost the ambient effect in the XM3 it would compete with the Bold, APP and the Elite 75t. The Apollo Bold does a lot of things very well, unfortunately the extra bass in ambient and ANC mode really makes me not want to use them until I can EQ them with an app.

Aug 23, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #25,212 of 62,233
Aug 23, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #25,213 of 62,233
Interesting, I tested them mowing vs. the Apollo Bold with the panasonic M tips on both and the ANC was similar but the Bold provided more isolation. I've tested the XM3 vs. the Bold with the Medium tips that came with the bold and the XM3 is noticeably quieter. If they would just boost the ambient effect in the XM3 it would compete with the Bold, APP and the Elite 75t. The Apollo Bold does a lot of things very well, unfortunately the extra bass in ambient and ANC mode really makes me not want to use them until I can EQ them with an app.
Thanks for your feedback.
Quote for a reply:
Tronsmart Apollo Bold APP is coming in Sep. When APP comes, you can switch different listening style by EQ control. Hope it helps for all of you.
Thanks.

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #25,215 of 62,233
This new color looks nice. I hope they come out with something new perhaps Tevi 2? with 10-12 battery aptx-HD
5470279E-969B-474F-BF10-D0E5DFC76B90.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back