Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 22, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #25,171 of 62,499
Does Tronsmart Apollo Bold have more bass than Sabbat E12? Which one is better-controlled?

I found the E12 Ultra to have better treble extension and flatter bass response with the green tips but I struggle to get a good seal. The red tips are more bassy but fit much better. Unfortunately I find it easy to lose these eartips and have since switched to my typical Audio-Technica IEM tips. They have a tighter seal for sound but actually feel more loose on my ears. Due to the Buds+ SBC debacle, they're still my main PC daily drivers despite the unit being a partial dud. With the AT tips the low end almost overpowers the highs - still bearable for me but a big contrast to my daily mobile driver the Galaxy Buds+. I want to have one warm and one lean TWS but something about the E12 with my remaining eartips feels off.

Anyways I decided on the TaoTronics SoundLiberty 94.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #25,172 of 62,499
So I've been having fit consistency issues with the Buds Live. The smaller rubber rings that come installed seem too small, and the bigger ones are too big. They should come with a third medium size. So what I did tonight was take the larger size and a piece of 150 grit sandpaper and just sanded them slightly smaller. Fit and sound seems better after just a little bit of sanding them slightly smaller.

With them pushed in too far, which the large size was doing, the bass becomes bloated and the highs become muffled. So now with the large size shaved down a tiny bit, I can put the Beans in my ears and twist them back a little bit and move the speaker grill just enough away from my ear canal to remove the bass bloat and make the highs not sound muffled.

With the smaller rubber rings installed it allowed too much movement in the fit and I wasn't getting consistent results even between both ears. I was always adjusting them and making sure I was getting the same sound left and right and it was making the experience very stressful and not enjoyable. So right now I'm using the slightly modified larger size rubber rings and the EQ on the clear setting and I am getting a very good and consistent sound.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #25,173 of 62,499
Does Tronsmart Apollo Bold have more bass than Sabbat E12? Which one is better-controlled?

I found the E12 Ultra to have better treble extension and flatter bass response with the green tips but I struggle to get a good seal. The red tips are more bassy but fit much better. Unfortunately I find it easy to lose these eartips and have since switched to my typical Audio-Technica IEM tips. They have a tighter seal for sound but actually feel more loose on my ears. Due to the Buds+ SBC debacle, they're still my main PC daily drivers despite the unit being a partial dud. With the AT tips the low end almost overpowers the highs - still bearable for me but a big contrast to my daily mobile driver the Galaxy Buds+. I want to have one warm and one lean TWS but something about the E12 with my remaining eartips feels off.

Anyways I decided on the TaoTronics SoundLiberty 94.
Do you suggest buds + as daily driver with android?

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #25,174 of 62,499
So I've been having fit consistency issues with the Buds Live. The smaller rubber rings that come installed seem too small, and the bigger ones are too big. They should come with a third medium size. So what I did tonight was take the larger size and a piece of 150 grit sandpaper and just sanded them slightly smaller. Fit and sound seems better after just a little bit of sanding them slightly smaller.

With them pushed in too far, which the large size was doing, the bass becomes bloated and the highs become muffled. So now with the large size shaved down a tiny bit, I can put the Beans in my ears and twist them back a little bit and move the speaker grill just enough away from my ear canal to remove the bass bloat and make the highs not sound muffled.

With the smaller rubber rings installed it allowed too much movement in the fit and I wasn't getting consistent results even between both ears. I was always adjusting them and making sure I was getting the same sound left and right and it was making the experience very stressful and not enjoyable. So right now I'm using the slightly modified larger size rubber rings and the EQ on the clear setting and I am getting a very good and consistent sound.
For me just moving my jaw open and close will usually sit them in the right position.

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #25,175 of 62,499
So can you really sleep on your side against the pillow comfortably with GBuds Live in? Or is that total BS?
I tried last night and ... well, it’s possible, but I did not find it overly comfortable. Plus the bud I was laying on got jammed in so hard that audio was blocked by ear cartilage...

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #25,176 of 62,499
This is the Wavelet setting that i use on my Apollo Bold (ANC mode on), if anyone's interested to try, and also @Tronsmart Official as an input if you're deciding to tune the Bold with firmware update.
as the bass is quite potent, i have to use the bass tuner along with the EQ to cut the bass..the EQ alone would still sound boomy

ouch!! I'm definitely not hearing anything like that! yes, after some experimentation (I wrote something before) now I realize that depending on the volume I can hear a slight bass increase when ANC is on, but believe me really nothing like that, both in quantity and frequency (I can only hear a bass increase below 60Hz)... anyway, now I'm quite sure that mine must be a lucky case, so will no more comment on this....
but....
give me a last one....
regarding the fw update, I appreciate some don't like the bass presentation of the Apollo, but there are also some who actually like it :L3000:
maybe instead of a hard change in the fw, @Tronsmart Official I suggest this can be done with some preset eqs in the app, like a light/medium/hard bass correction (e.g. -2db/-4db/-6db centered @60Hz) so that everyone can choose their best fit

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #25,177 of 62,499
ouch!! I'm definitely not hearing anything like that! yes, after some experimentation (I wrote something before) now I realize that depending on the volume I can hear a slight bass increase when ANC is on, but believe me really nothing like that, both in quantity and frequency (I can only hear a bass increase below 60Hz)... anyway, now I'm quite sure that mine must be a lucky case, so will no more comment on this....
but....
give me a last one....
regarding the fw update, I appreciate some don't like the bass presentation of the Apollo, but there are also some who actually like it :L3000:
maybe instead of a hard change in the fw, @Tronsmart Official I suggest this can be done with some preset eqs in the app, like a light/medium/hard bass correction (e.g. -2db/-4db/-6db centered @60Hz) so that everyone can choose their best fit

I will probably need low shelf cut around -12dBs to enjoy mine with ANC.

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #25,178 of 62,499

indeed, I'm just saying statistically based on reports from members here, and from reviews such as youtube and scarbir's, there are more who prefer the bass cut.

besides, from what i learned from my mixing days, it's much easier and better sounding to add bass with EQ, than to cut (and the opposite on treble) :smile_phones:

I will probably need low shelf cut around -12dBs to enjoy mine with ANC.

from what i did on the Wavelet app (around -5+ db with EQ, and -5 with the bass tuner, we have similar conclusions about the amount of bass reduction

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #25,179 of 62,499
but....
give me a last one....
That's two lucky cases then. Mine are no different with anc on at the lower end

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #25,180 of 62,499
Surprising feedback on the Panasonics ! Like I wrote yesterday they produce the best passive+active isolation I've experienced, just very slightly behind the EchoBuds. Audibly ahead of the MTW2s and XM3s. It is way better than the APPs in any case since these have poor (by design) passive isolation. Sure ANC is impressive when you activate it on the APPs but what matters is the end result, not the wow factor promoted by the likes of ijustine.

Can't fault Ambient either, I was able to check out at the grocery store with no problem. What's lacking compared to the EchoBuds is the Ambient + Auto Pause option.

The real concern with ANC is the popping I described earlier when there are slight pressure changes, even when riding in a carm

They're more expensive than the Apollo Bokf becase hey are clearly in a different class altogether than the Apollo Bold that have a buggy Ambient+Passive implementation, "unbalanced SQ, poor passive isolation, ultra sensitive controls, a finicky case, and no app...so far. As with many things you get what you pay for and the complexities of producing a good Ambient+ANC combo has not yet been achieved by "ChiFi".

Hi @webvan thanks, more information that without any doubt will be quite useful for all of us!

Greetings,

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #25,181 of 62,499
Hey Man, what do you mean by "and also @Tronsmart Official as an input if you're deciding to tune the Bold with firmware update.?" I'm on iOS and their current Tronsmart app doesn't support the bold, but it desperately needs a firmware update. I think the sound quality is really good when they are set to off, but i agree the bass is too much and the highs and mids get muddy on ambient and ANC modes. Another thing I've been told while on conf. calls and phone calls is that the mics are way to sensitive and they pick up EVERYTHING in the background when i'm in an noisy environment. I'd love to see them fix the CVC issue, the delay between modes, give us the ability to disable voice prompts and some of the connectivity issues i've been experiencing because I think they are pretty great buds all around.
[/QUOTEAre you running IOS14 beta? Thought you'd mentioned that in a previous post a few days ago. Asking because i've seen a couple other people mention it on here, and i've seen numerous posts onlin in general about BT issues on the beta. the mics on the Apollo's are in my experience way to sensitive to background noise, and people have a hard time hearing me. one person put it this way. "i couldn't hear you, but i could hear everything around you and everything she was saying very clearly.' She being my friend telling her kid to quiet down lol. Can't wait for the app to come to make adjustments here and there, but the Apollo bold's are over all a winner in my book. And this might have already been addressed in future posts, responding real time but the app you are using isn't for the Apollos. They're coming out with a new one.
Also, you have delays between modes? like audio stops when switching from Ambiant to off or what? That's not something i've seen other people mention, and mine switch while music is playing it never stops.

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #25,183 of 62,499
Went for an off-road bike ride this morning and took both the Panasonics and the Bomaker SiFI II, my goto TWEs for passive isolation and ability to keep the seal. Well the Panasonics didn't stay long in my ears, as expected the wind noise was picked up by the mics in both Ambient and ANC modes but unexpectedly the wind noise was also more than it should have been in OFF mode. Same problem as with the MTW2 in fact. Other ANC TWEs like the EchoBuds or XM3s (you can't turn off ANC on the LTA+) don't have that problem. I'm not sure what's going on and why they would keep the mics on...in any case that makes them rather useless for bike riding.

@DB10 - you're quite welcome !

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #25,184 of 62,499
Surprising feedback on the Panasonics ! Like I wrote yesterday they produce the best passive+active isolation I've experienced, just very slightly behind the EchoBuds. Audibly ahead of the MTW2s and XM3s. It is way better than the APPs in any case since these have poor (by design) passive isolation. Sure ANC is impressive when you activate it on the APPs but what matters is the end result, not the wow factor promoted by the likes of ijustine.

Can't fault Ambient either, I was able to check out at the grocery store with no problem. What's lacking compared to the EchoBuds is the Ambient + Auto Pause option.

The real concern with ANC is the popping I described earlier when there are slight pressure changes, even when riding in a carm

They're more expensive than the Apollo Bokf becase hey are clearly in a different class altogether than the Apollo Bold that have a buggy Ambient+Passive implementation, "unbalanced SQ, poor passive isolation, ultra sensitive controls, a finicky case, and no app...so far. As with many things you get what you pay for and the complexities of producing a good Ambient+ANC combo has not yet been achieved by "ChiFi".
Wow. for me, the Ambiant is a strength of the Apollo. Sounds way better than on my og mtw, and right up with the MTW2 just a hair quieter and not as full sounding.. Though rereading your post you may be talking about ambiant with the music and that is not a great experience. But just ambiant by itself for me is great.

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #25,185 of 62,499
Took the GBeans out for a 2h run this morning and overall they performed awesomely (is that even a proper adverb?)
There is no thud! The sound is dynamic & very engaging. No wind noise to speak of. They sit firmly in my conchae and the ‘block touch’ function is one of the best new features on TWS ever. Wish more had that / still
implement via app if possible. This means I can adjust the buds as much as I want without triggering anything.
The one thing that’s raining on my parade: the connection! This feels like a step back to my Sony SP700N from 2018. While in general the connection is pretty solid (not rock solid mind you), there is one scenario while running when it breaks off, repeatedly!
Turning my head to the left!!!
59881E0D-7920-42B6-BEF1-93978FF1BA3D.jpeg
My phone sits in a belt at my kidneys. So, assuming the right bud is the main connection, as soon as I turn my head to the left, there’s more bone, head, mass for the BT connection to penetrate. Of course I can avoid that by NOT turning my head. But with respect to traffic safety, this might not be the best approach.
I wish they would come up with a sports version that adds a bit to the meager IPX2 rating, and maybe in nice bright sporty signal colors, easy to find in case of dropage ... matte finish / rubberized for better fit ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back