Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 23, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #25,186 of 62,248

Saw that you are able to get eartips for the galaxy buds live in Korea, wondered why didn't they just include it in the package.

Wow ... I just watched the whole thing ... super interesting ... obviously they don't want everyone to have it ... because I think it makes it look a bit silly? ANd imagine the field day YT reviewers would have with these socks / condoms if they were supplied in every box :)

Seems that the Beans fit most (Korean) ears .. maybe for bigger Western ears there should be an easier option to get them ...

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #25,187 of 62,248
Sounds good but do they add anything to what you get when running with the X12 for a lot less money ? :wink:

Wow. for me, the Ambiant is a strength of the Apollo. Sounds way better than on my og mtw, and right up with the MTW2 just a hair quieter and not as full sounding.. Though rereading your post you may be talking about ambiant with the music and that is not a great experience. But just ambiant by itself for me is great.

Yes, I was referring to the fact that the SQ gets messed up when ANC and Ambient are turned on, although it's less obvious in Ambient and less of a problem since you would normally not be listening to music with Ambient as that feature mostly makes sense to interact without removing the earbuds.

Aug 23, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #25,188 of 62,248
Sounds good but do they add anything to what you get when running with the X12 for a lot less money ? :wink:

would need to do some A/B ing, but I like the SQ of the Beans a bit better. Fit of the X12 is more secure, but that’s also because I put the wings on before every run :wink:
On paper, the Beans have EQ (presets) and ANC, which today on the run did not really notice. But Sunday morning- quiet ...
And sure, the X12 are cheaper ...

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #25,189 of 62,248
Just got my set of Apollos yesterday (free set for review). I'll hold off on a full review until the app and firmware updates are available, since right now my set is obnoxiously bassy like others have mentioned. I like a lot of subbass usually, but the Apollos are almost unlistenable without EQ. The Liberty 2 Pros are a much better basshead option that also fit better for me. At this point I'm just confused why Tronsmart released them tuned with so much bass before the app was ready. Other than that, fit is meh. I'll need to try different tips to get a more secure fit. The case is OK, small and pocketable but looks cheap. The actual buds look great. Touch controls seem to work very well.

I'll call my thoughts on these incomplete. Definitely not recommended currently, but hopefully the app and fw updates will be available soon. The DD driver quality seems good, just really need better tuning options before I'll actually want to listen to them

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #25,190 of 62,248
Just got my set of Apollos yesterday (free set for review). I'll hold off on a full review until the app and firmware updates are available, since right now my set is obnoxiously bassy like others have mentioned. I like a lot of subbass usually, but the Apollos are almost unlistenable without EQ. The Liberty 2 Pros are a much better basshead option that also fit better for me. At this point I'm just confused why Tronsmart released them tuned with so much bass before the app was ready. Other than that, fit is meh. I'll need to try different tips to get a more secure fit. The case is OK, small and pocketable but looks cheap. The actual buds look great. Touch controls seem to work very well.

I'll call my thoughts on these incomplete. Definitely not recommended currently, but hopefully the app and fw updates will be available soon. The DD driver quality seems good, just really need better tuning options before I'll actually want to listen to them

while waiting for the official app, if you have the Wavelet app, try this setting, see if it can make the bass listenable for you
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/post-15818091

also I'm starting to notice that the mids characteristics also changed a bit between "ANC on" and "off" , with the off mode the mids seems thicker and meatier. it's like the "ANC mode on" not only boosts the bass, but also dips out some freq notch somewhere in the mids

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #25,191 of 62,248
Yes I mentioned that early on, not only does the bass gets a nasty boost but the highs get muffled out. It's hard to believe no one at Tronsmart noticed that...or maybe they did and didn't know how to deal with it. Upon closer listen I also noticed that with ANC Off the sound was somewhat unbalanced with some emphasis in the left channel. When ANC is turned ON that imbalance actually gets slightly rectified.

On another bad note for TWSs rtings have released their SP800N review : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/wf-sp800n-truly-wireless and while they find some positive in the fit they (uncharacteristically) describe the ANC as being "useless" ! Oddly that's not a takeaway from reviews posted here where it was only described as "not quite as good" as on the XM3s. Took them off my Amazon wishlist !

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #25,192 of 62,248
while waiting for the official app, if you have the Wavelet app, try this setting, see if it can make the bass listenable for you
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/post-15818091

also I'm starting to notice that the mids characteristics also changed a bit between "ANC on" and "off" , with the off mode the mids seems thicker and meatier. it's like the "ANC mode on" not only boosts the bass, but also dips out some freq notch somewhere in the mids
I actually took a screen grab of that the other day :)

I came to something similar, but for some reason the bass tuning options get grayed out on Wavelet. Haven't figured out why...sometimes they are available, sometimes not...might be a codec thing? Either way, not a good sign for the tuning when people are rolling off bass so much right away

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #25,193 of 62,248
I'm guessing this thread has more mention of the wavelet app than others I'm in.

Have any of you built custom wavelet compensation files? I exported some measurements and tried some spreadsheet macros but it's time consuming and I'm not very strong with my spreadsheets skills

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #25,194 of 62,248
Everyone who is finding the Apollo's too bassy, what are you listening on?

I've tried AAC via iPhone and aptx via Windows 10 with FLAC....not only is it very clear, different frequency basslines are completely discernible.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong because they sound perfect to me!!

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #25,195 of 62,248
Everyone who is finding the Apollo's too bassy, what are you listening on?

I've tried AAC via iPhone and aptx via Windows 10 with FLAC....not only is it very clear, different frequency basslines are completely discernible.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong because they sound perfect to me!!

AAC on iPhone 6S / X and aptx on my Android P20 pro.
Your Apollo seems an outlier.
Mine is boosted 25dbs above 1kHz baseline and unlistenable unless I cut heavily with EQ.

Though I admit it sounds really good after EQing. As I said before diaphragm seems sport pretty good coating. Mid to High frequency timbre is quite agreeable.

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #25,196 of 62,248
Outlier or not it seems most unlikely that there would be zero bass boost and mid/highs "muffling" when ANC is turned ON as that's a software feature, give them a closer listen !

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #25,197 of 62,248
Android (S9+), aptX and AAC. listen to mainly rock and jazz, sometimes trip-hop and IDM.
I'm another outlier, my Apollo seems to be very differently tuned from what I'm reading here, and yes I can hear a slight bump in the sub-bass (60Hz and below) with ANC on and quite high volume (for my listening habits... above 60% on my S9+, I typically listen to 30%), but nothing close to what is experienced by you guys. and no muffled mids/highs.
until Tronsmart will clarify, I'll stop commenting on this.

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #25,199 of 62,248

I agree about their excessive bass but it's definitely worth running them for a few days (as non-stop as possible) with some bass-heavy music as they do calm down somewhat after break-in. Where they do work quite well for me is when I'm driving my truck - the additional bass helps overcome the engine/road noise - anc takes out some of the lower frequencies quite nicely and I can still hear ambulances and the like. I normally only listen to talking books when driving but I've started to listen to music again with the Apollo's.

I'm still looking forward to the app - hopefully the Apollo's are able to store their EQ settings on the buds themselves so they can be used on my Walkman (and so EQ settings don't affect my other headphones as I never normally use EQ).

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #25,200 of 62,248
I'm looking for a recommendation for TWS.

If anyone has heard the Final Audio E5000s and can recommend a TWS that gets to that sound as close as possible, I would really appreciate it. For anyone who is unfamiliar with their sound -- they have an enormous low end, lush mid-range and detailed but laid back treble. I am VERY sensitive to sibilance because of chronic jaw pain and the E5000s are the best sound for me (that I've heard). Maybe the TWS version (or something close to it) doesn't exist and I will have to compromise with one of those neckband MMCX solutions like the FiiO LC-BT2 or the ikko ARC ITB05. Anway, I would really appreciate your thoughts.

For reference: I have tried MPOW T5, Tranya T3, Enacfire E60 and Phaiser Fusion 1. My favorite has been the T5, although it doesn't have the sub bass I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back